Hurt Walmart, or Help The Poor?

Deflation is equally as problematic. Especially given the domino effect it can have an the macroeconomic enchilada.

I believe deflation is good. It's better when it's necessary, such as during a recession when prices need to fall. Most people would point out Japan as an example of bad deflation. Outside of a somewhat stagnant GDP, a flat Nikkei average and an economy totally dependent upon exports, I haven't really seen to many indicators of an economy which was 'suffering.' In fact, I remember reading a survey conducted by the Bank of Japan and a vast majority of respondents were very happy when prices fell. Contrary, when they started to notice that prices increase, 'they didn't like it.'

Then again, what do they know. After I eat my dinner I'll try to find the survey and post it here.

The trivial externality you had to concern yourself with under a Gold Standard was a chunk of shinny metal. The externalities you have to face with a fiat standard are flesh and blood human beings.

There are plenty of anecdotal evidence of inflation, but according to Helicopter Ben and the CPI, this is all in our heads. Then again, what do we know...

I'd figured you'd have to be a Chartalist if you weren't a Keynesian. But there is nothing wrong with a Keynesian. We're all Keynesian now.

Well, except for me. There are at least 5 different economic schools of thought I subscribe to. But no, according to progressives if you aren't progressive and Keynesian, than you are obviously far-right and you must be a Con.

As a bond trader, functional finance finally clicked. The US turns over tens of trillions in bonds every year. Year in and year out like clockwork.

I did my MS in economics based on the work of GF Knapp and Abba Lerner. That's when I had my Eureka moment so to speak.

Yeah, I don't think the US has ever paid a bill since the 1920's. It just sells one bond for another.

Trading Currencies is when my 'Eureka' moment happened. It really didn't happen until I started getting involved with commodities. I don't manage Options or Futures accounts. You never know where the market will take you.

Are you supply-side or demand-side?
Your posts make me think you're fence sitting. Seriously.

The inflation metrics. Inflation is an increase in the general price. You can't claim inflation on asset classes or sectors of the economy. That's not inflation.

I agree more with the supply-side, but I do not generally propose solutions such as lower income taxes and capital gains. I propose an economic environment where an economic structure between capital and consumer goods are freely coordinated based on the laws of supply and demand, without the constraints of overbearing government regulation.

So I'm a partial subscriber to the Supply-Side and Free Market economies, but this usually pegs me among the ranks of Austrians and this is sort of fair. Free Market Economies is often compared to Austrian Economics, but the two are nothing alike. Austrian Economics is a set of claims about how markets, the economy, and how the social world works. It's a frame work for economic analysis and not a set of policy conclusions. From the roles of exchange, to the price system and the profit mechanism and the business cycle, I generally agree with Austrians. Also Austrians and Supply-Sides generally agree that it is production that is the key to economic prosperity and consumption is merely a product of what has been produced.

Also I try to keep an framework of independent consciousness, so I also subscribe to a philosophical theory of Objectivism.

So that is four general schools of thought I subscribe to, and they are all different in many ways but they're the same in some. Hope this clears something up at least.

I believe deflation is good. It's better when it's necessary, such as during a recession when prices need to fall. Most people would point out Japan as an example of bad deflation. Outside of a somewhat stagnant GDP, a flat Nikkei average and an economy totally dependent upon exports, I haven't really seen to many indicators of an economy which was 'suffering.' In fact, I remember reading a survey conducted by the Bank of Japan and a vast majority of respondents were very happy when prices fell. Contrary, when they started to notice that prices increase, 'they didn't like it.'

The trivial externality you had to concern yourself with under a Gold Standard was a chunk of shinny metal. The externalities you have to face with a fiat standard are flesh and blood human beings.

There are plenty of anecdotal evidence of inflation, but according to Helicopter Ben and the CPI, this is all in our heads. Then again, what do we know...

I'd figured you'd have to be a Chartalist if you weren't a Keynesian. But there is nothing wrong with a Keynesian. We're all Keynesian now.

Well, except for me. There are at least 5 different economic schools of thought I subscribe to. But no, according to progressives if you aren't progressive and Keynesian, than you are obviously far-right and you must be a Con.

Yeah, I don't think the US has ever paid a bill since the 1920's. It just sells one bond for another.

Trading Currencies is when my 'Eureka' moment happened. It really didn't happen until I started getting involved with commodities. I don't manage Options or Futures accounts. You never know where the market will take you.

Are you supply-side or demand-side?
Your posts make me think you're fence sitting. Seriously.

The inflation metrics. Inflation is an increase in the general price. You can't claim inflation on asset classes or sectors of the economy. That's not inflation.

I agree more with the supply-side, but I do not generally propose solutions such as lower income taxes and capital gains. I propose an economic environment where an economic structure between capital and consumer goods are freely coordinated based on the laws of supply and demand, without the constraints of overbearing government regulation.

So I'm a partial subscriber to the Supply-Side and Free Market economies, but this usually pegs me among the ranks of Austrians and this is sort of fair. Free Market Economies is often compared to Austrian Economics, but the two are nothing alike. Austrian Economics is a set of claims about how markets, the economy, and how the social world works. It's a frame work for economic analysis and not a set of policy conclusions. From the roles of exchange, to the price system and the profit mechanism and the business cycle, I generally agree with Austrians. Also Austrians and Supply-Sides generally agree that it is production that is the key to economic prosperity and consumption is merely a product of what has been produced.

Also I try to keep an framework of independent consciousness, so I also subscribe to a philosophical theory of Objectivism.

So that is four general schools of thought I subscribe to, and they are all different in many ways but they're the same in some. Hope this clears something up at least.

watch

PC, walmart is successful, no doubt. And they are successful no doubt at least partly because of their employees. So why can't they pay a living wage?

1. "...walmart is successful, no doubt."

OMG…you are correct!
That’s an event that usually accompanies a parting sea or a stone tablet!!!

2. "So why can't they pay a living wage?"

Ahhh....I knew you couldn't get two in a row right.

They do pay a 'living wage'....Wal-Mart has so determined.

So...now back to your crib.

Walmart has so determined you say, but their employees qualify for food stamps and medicare, so how are they paying a living wage if their employees are subsidized by the taxpayer? That includes you, PC. The heirs of that walmart are worth over a hundred billion so c'mon, it would probably take a couple hundred years or more to spend that amount if they spent a million dollars a day, figuring off the top of my head, and they can't pay enough where employees don't have to go the food stamp routine? And if the employees made more, they'd spend more on necessities, considering even with a pay raise they'd still be at subsistence level. Like spending money on stuff at walmart, not ski trips in switzerland or anything.

Here's an idea with which you may not be familiar.....it's called 'freedom.'

You, as employer, get to offer to pay what you wish.....

....and you, as employee get to decline any offer you find unacceptable.

Please list the names of any......any.....Wal-Mart employees who are forced to work for that company against their will.

1.____________

2.___________

3.___________

I'll wait.....but I have a pressing appointment in 2019.....

Dr. Thomas Sowell, in “Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One,” challenges individuals to analyze not only their short term (Stage One) impact but to also think ahead to their long term (Stage Two, Three, etc) impact.

Politicians do not think beyond Stage One because they will be praised (and elected) for the short term benefits but will not be held accountable much later when the long term consequences appear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epic fail PC...

The D.C. council just destroyed Thomas Sowell's theory. They totally ignored "Thinking Beyond Stage One". The EASY, short term decision would be to cower to Malmart. The council made a "Stage Two, Three, etc" decision.

In an era when suppliers, governments, and municipalities have all been scared into acquiescing to Walmart because of its size and job-creating potential, it also took tremendous courage. D.C.'s council members knew how many jobs a Walmart could bring to town and how good creating those jobs would look on their political record. But they also knew that despite Walmart's white-washing PR campaign, those jobs were likely to be barely subsistence-wage, terribly depressing, and offset with jobs lost at local businesses. D.C. didn't prohibit Walmart from setting up stores in the district (and there will still be three, even after the abandoned ones), but it did put in place what amounted to a fairly expensive penalty for doing so.

Not all jobs are created equal. But in politics, they often get equal weight. It would have been easy for D.C.'s city council to bow to Walmart's threat, repeal or soften the minimum-wage hike, and brag to constituents about their job-creating success. Instead, they made a brave, values-driven decision about what kinds of jobs they wanted in D.C. and set policy accordingly. That's the right of every municipality, and it's an impulse that should be exercised much more often.

more

Dr. Thomas Sowell, in “Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One,” challenges individuals to analyze not only their short term (Stage One) impact but to also think ahead to their long term (Stage Two, Three, etc) impact.

Politicians do not think beyond Stage One because they will be praised (and elected) for the short term benefits but will not be held accountable much later when the long term consequences appear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Epic fail PC...

The D.C. council just destroyed Thomas Sowell's theory. They totally ignored "Thinking Beyond Stage One". The EASY, short term decision would be to cower to Malmart. The council made a "Stage Two, Three, etc" decision.

In an era when suppliers, governments, and municipalities have all been scared into acquiescing to Walmart because of its size and job-creating potential, it also took tremendous courage. D.C.'s council members knew how many jobs a Walmart could bring to town and how good creating those jobs would look on their political record. But they also knew that despite Walmart's white-washing PR campaign, those jobs were likely to be barely subsistence-wage, terribly depressing, and offset with jobs lost at local businesses. D.C. didn't prohibit Walmart from setting up stores in the district (and there will still be three, even after the abandoned ones), but it did put in place what amounted to a fairly expensive penalty for doing so.

Not all jobs are created equal. But in politics, they often get equal weight. It would have been easy for D.C.'s city council to bow to Walmart's threat, repeal or soften the minimum-wage hike, and brag to constituents about their job-creating success. Instead, they made a brave, values-driven decision about what kinds of jobs they wanted in D.C. and set policy accordingly. That's the right of every municipality, and it's an impulse that should be exercised much more often.

more

I really like that new name you chose....

"Epic Fool"

Epic fail PC...

more

BTW, "EF,"

Perhaps you'd like to take a crack at the short answer quiz that no one on your side has been able to pass:

Please list the names of any......any.....Wal-Mart employees who are forced to work for that company against their will.

1.____________

2.___________

3.___________

As long as the American consumer demands the lowest cost possible - the problem of underemployment/unemployment/child labor/slave labor - will not only continue, but continue to grow.
As consumers, Americans are the most self-centered hypocritical stupid people on the planet. The fact they cannot make the connection that ultra-cheap volume based retail = producers seeking ultra-cheap volume based laborers is just flat out unbelievable.

1. "As long as the American consumer demands the lowest cost possible...."

Did you think that that was some sort of pejorative???

Be serious.
Every consumer operates that way....world over.
'Else...they're a simpleton.

a. "If the Leftist is interested in a more ‘fair’ redistribution of wealth, let him vote for lower taxes, and then he can distribute his now larger share of his wealth to the lesser compensated folks.

b. Illustrative of reality is the fact that the Leftist refrains from paying above the stated price for goods and services…he wants, as everyone else does, competition between said services. Only then does he stand a chance of getting a “fair” price. In his own enterprise, he strives to improve quality or lower price…’else his potential customers will take their business to others. Unless he has the power of government!"
David Mamet, "The Secret Knowledge."

2. The phenomenon of "child labor" has been alleviated, throughout economic history, through improved standards of living....capitalism.
As a family's income increases, they no longer allow their children to work.

3. 'underemployment/unemployment' is also mitigated simply by abolishing minimum wage laws.

a. "Milton Friedman provides some critically clarifying truthiness on the unholy coalitions between 'do-gooders', 'special interests', 'trade unions', and the vicious circle that this non-market-based decision will create. "Do-Gooders believe passing a law saying nobody shall get less than [a minimum wage] is helping poor people (who need the money). You're doing nothing of the kind. What you're doing is to ensure that people whose skills do not justify that wage will be unemployed."
Milton Friedman On The Unholy Coalitions Of The Minimum Wage | Zero Hedge
And again, we see the profound economic writings of PC. Jesus. First she goes to Thomas Sowell, a well known and self admitted LIBERTARIAN and close associate of the Koch brothers, and of course, their "think tank". the CATO institute.

Here are a few of the well funded think tanks that PC and other paid to post robots are able to get their data from. All funded by those that would like to see the rich get richer, and could care less about the rest of the population of this country:
3H Movement
A
Adam Smith Centre
Adam Smith Institute
Advocates for Self-Government
Alexis de Tocqueville Institution
Association for Liberal Thinking
Atlas Economic Research Foundation
The Atlas Society
Avenir Suisse
B
Beacon Center of Tennessee
Bruno Leoni Institute
Bureaucrash
C
Captus
Cascade Policy Institute
Cato Institute
Center for Free Enterprise
Center for Freedom and Prosperity
Center for Individual Rights
Center for Libertarian Studies
Center for the Defense of Free Enterprise
Centre for Civil Society
Centre for Independent Studies
Centre for Policy Studies
CEPOS
Civita
Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow
Commonwealth Foundation for Public Policy Alternatives
Competitive Enterprise Institute
C cont.
Copenhagen Institute
E
Edmund Burke Foundation
Eudoxa
European Independent Institute
F
Foundation for Economic Education
Foundation for Excellence in Education
Foundation for Rational Economics and Education
Fraser Institute
Future of Freedom Foundation
G
Galen Institute
Goldwater Institute
Grassroot Institute
H
The Heartland Institute
I
Illinois Policy Institute
The Independent Institute
Indian Liberal Group
Institut Constant de Rebecque
Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs
Institute for Humane Studies
Institute of Economic Studies
Institute of Public Affairs
International Policy Network
International Society for Individual Liberty
J
James Madison Institute
L
Lexington Institute
Liberales Institut
Libertad y Desarrollo
Libertarian Alliance
L cont.
Liberty Institute (Brazil)
Liberty League (UK)
Liberté chérie (association)
Library of Economics and Liberty
The Lion Rock Institute
M
Making Our Economy Right
Mannkal Economic Education Foundation
Mercatus Center
Minaret of Freedom Institute
Ludwig von Mises Institute
Mont Pelerin Society
Montreal Economic Institute
N
National Center for Policy Analysis
Nevada Policy Research Institute
New Economic School – Georgia
New Zealand Initiative
Nova Civitas
O
Organization for the Liberal Democracy in Venezuela
P
Progress and Freedom Foundation
R
R Street Institute
Ratio Institute
Reason Foundation
Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity
S
Sam Adams Alliance
Show-Me Institute
Stockholm Network
T
Timbro
Y
Yankee Institute for Public Policy

Then she posts the musings of Milton Friedman. Not possible to get much further right, eh, PC.

So, PC never discusses a subject. Rather, she simply posts dogma from these and other sites that support those who pay her. Nice. No need at all for integrity. And no need to look at actual impartial studies of the minimum wage increases and the impact on the economy, and on wages in general. And there are many, of course. And most disagree completely with what PC gets from her right wing sites. Because PC is constrained to ONLY post conservative dogma. ONLY.

And, PC, who has never in her life had any issues with dishonesty. Being dishonest, that is. No problem at all.
The most agregious statement in your post was the one that stated child labor abuse was a thing of the past. Proof positive that you do not look at what information is available. Here is one of hundreds of hits on child labor abuses by us corporations:
"Multinational Corporations have been shipping jobs overseas where people, including children, are forced to work as much as fifteen hours per day, seven days a week, for as little as $1.61 per month, some suffering torture, beatings, and verbal abuse. It appears that our government and corporations may have been guilty of looking the other way all in the name of profits."
Are Multinational Corporations exploiting child and adult "labor camps" for corporate profits? - William Brighenti, CPA - Berlin, CT Patch
If you want to confine it to the US, which I am sure you do, take a look at the food industry, and wonder why farming gets a pass on child labor laws. And why tens of thousands of mostly mexican children toil in our farm fields in order to allow you to save a couple of bucks a month.

Yeah, PC, there is really nothing you will not lie about, is there?

And, PC, who has never in her life had any issues with dishonesty. Being dishonest, that is. No problem at all.
The most agregious statement in your post was the one that stated child labor abuse was a thing of the past. Proof positive that you do not look at what information is available. Here is one of hundreds of hits on child labor abuses by us corporations:
"Multinational Corporations have been shipping jobs overseas where people, including children, are forced to work as much as fifteen hours per day, seven days a week, for as little as $1.61 per month, some suffering torture, beatings, and verbal abuse. It appears that our government and corporations may have been guilty of looking the other way all in the name of profits."
Are Multinational Corporations exploiting child and adult "labor camps" for corporate profits? - William Brighenti, CPA - Berlin, CT Patch
If you want to confine it to the US, which I am sure you do, take a look at the food industry, and wonder why farming gets a pass on child labor laws. And why tens of thousands of mostly mexican children toil in our farm fields in order to allow you to save a couple of bucks a month.

Yeah, PC, there is really nothing you will not lie about, is there?

Jesus Christ.

So you have a problem with a kid working on his parents farm? In farming communities a 12 year old just learning how to drive a $250,000 combine is called an underachiever.
You seem to feel that liberals sticking their noses into the welfare of family farms by forcing child labor laws down their throats is admirable.

Bullshit is still Bullshit no matter how impressively you package it. What works in focus sessions in college often times doesn't work in the real world. When the left finally gets into a position to find this out it's usually too late.

Last edited:
So much for the argument that LOCAL CONTROL is something right wingers believe in.

They, no less that the so called left wing, believe in local control only when they object to Federal control.

So much for the argument that LOCAL CONTROL is something right wingers believe in.

They, no less that the so called left wing, believe in local control only when they object to Federal control.

I personally love the revisionist history. There's an entire industry that preys off of ignorance with audiobooks, books, and courses which will teach you " the truth". These fucks have no problems rewriting whole swaths of US history. #ignoranceissexy

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Problem is, they are too ignorant and too brainwashed to understand that they are bought and paid for by the very folks who author the crap that they choose to read and watch. Sad.

Mudwhistle (or was that mudbrain???) says:
Jesus Christ.

So you have a problem with a kid working on his parents farm? In farming communities a 12 year old just learning how to drive a $250,000 combine is called an underachiever.
You seem to feel that liberals sticking their noses into the welfare of family farms by forcing child labor laws down their throats is admirable.

Bullshit is still Bullshit no matter how impressively you package it. What works in focus sessions in college often times doesn't work in the real world. When the left finally gets into a position to find this out it's usually too late.

So, you believe that those Mexicans working on the corporate farm are working for their parents???
How far do you need to shove your head up your ass to believe that???

Yes indeed. Problem is, they are too ignorant and too brainwashed to understand that they are bought and paid for by the very folks who author the crap that they choose to read and watch. Sad.

And douche bags like the Koch Brothers funding this insanity. If anyone purports that they have "the truth", right or left, run away from that guy or gal. Lol.

Epic fail PC...

more

Good post. Wally Worls also demands rock bottom prices from their suppliers just to put thier product on the shelves so rw'ers & libertarians don't have to pay the full cost up-front. Google- "externalities". The externalities here are suppliers are either telling Wally World to fuck off or cutting corners to make up the diff. meaning lower wages & lower quality in their product.
The Wal-Mart You Don't Know | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

The blatant double-standard is a hoot to witness :lol:

Last edited:

Epic fail PC...

more

Good post. Wally Worls also demands rock bottom prices from their suppliers just to put thier product on the shelves so rw'ers & libertarians don't have to pay the full cost up-front. Google- "externalities". The externalities here are suppliers are either telling Wally World to fuck off or cutting corners to make up the diff. meaning lower wages & lower quality in their product.
The Wal-Mart You Don't Know | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
If it's anyone who doesn't give a fuck about externalities, it's arrogant, know-it-all, busybody prog assholes, who run around pretending that they know what's in everyone else's best interests better than they do.

libertarians need a place to buy thier solar panels, water purifiers, & windmills (as TRUE libertarians live off-the-grid donchaknow ;) ) that aren't made in America, so were stuck w/ Wally world undercutting American wages :(

Last edited:

Forum List

Back