U.S. posts budget surplus

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
U.S. posts $117 billion budget surplus in June - Yahoo! Finance,
July 11 (Reuters) - The U.S. government posted abudget surplus in June, the latest sign of rapidly improvingpublic finances that could reduce the urgency in Congress tostrike a deal to raise the nation's limit on borrowing.

Rising tax revenues, public spending cuts and big paymentsto the Treasury from state-backed mortgage firms helped thegovernment take in $117 billion more last month than it paidout, the U.S. Treasury said on Thursday.

Will the teabaggers now STFU?

We don't have a surplus. We are in debt over 16 trillion dollars. The size of government continues to grow due to increased spending of monies which we don't have.

Not buying the hype you are selling.

We don't have a surplus. We are in debt over 16 trillion dollars. The size of government continues to grow due to increased spending of monies which we don't have.

Do you understand what the term "budget surplus" means?

Yes, I do. It is all smoke and mirrors. It is nothing more than code for the hacks in Washington to justify more spending.

You are being lied to.

July 11 (Reuters) - The U.S. government posted abudget surplus in June, the latest sign of rapidly improvingpublic finances that could reduce the urgency in Congress tostrike a deal to raise the nation's limit on borrowing.

Rising tax revenues, public spending cuts and big paymentsto the Treasury from state-backed mortgage firms helped thegovernment take in $117 billion more last month than it paidout, the U.S. Treasury said on Thursday.

You are probably the only teabagger here.

You know what those "state-backed mortgage firms" are, right?

And you know what that means, right?

Do you understand what the term "budget surplus" means?

Yes, I do. It is all smoke and mirrors. It is nothing more than code for the hacks in Washington to justify more spending.

You are being lied to.

I don't think you do. You sound like a complete idiot to me. Go read a blog.

one month? Let's for the sake of argument and assume the math is correct and we have a budget surplus for june.

That somehow makes up for decades of deficits? Are we supposed to ignore all the deficits for the last five months of the year? Or are we going to assume we can just spend like a drunken sailor with no conseequences now that we've had one month of a surplus?

Is a one month surplus a big deal if the whole year is still a deficit?

Do you ever bother thinking before you post such stupid stuff?

I read this earlier, but as a republican I choose to ignore it. (-:

Seriously, the sequester really is hurting some people, but the econ slowly improves and spending really is down. I can't believe the congress was so inept they couldn't have cut spending in a more responsible way .... but it is that inept.

Because the housing sector is recovering, the GSEs are finally returning to a profit. Since the GSEs were nationalized back when they imploded, those profits are going to the Treasury.

That is how the federal budget managed to pull off a surplus last month.

The GSEs have a long, long, long way to go before they pay off their bailout, though.

Foreclosures are now at a level not seen since 2006, which was the peak of the real estate bubble. That's very good news, and especially good for the GSEs.

Foreclosures are now at a level not seen since 2006, which was the peak of the real estate bubble. That's very good news, and especially good for the GSEs.

And just wait until the big Student Debt Bomb 'Splodes!

Forum List

Back