Huge Advance In Education!

I have said that unless we wrest control of education back from the Democrat/Liberal government schools, as earlier Republicans pried their slaves away from them, the nation has no future.

But....I couldn't see any possible way to do this........

BUT......
"Coronavirus has parents looking at homeschooling

With the COVID-19 virus closing schools in China, South Korea, Italy, and the United States, parents are having to make a sudden and unexpected change in their children’s education. Most often, it means shifting education into the home.

This learning at home looks different in different places. In Hong Kong, the government ordered 800,000 students to take what the Wall Street Journal calls “a crash course in digital learning.”

In New York City, parents are already seeking out homeschooling resources that fit their children and their families in preparation for any school closings.

The freedom of parents to choose the kind of education that’s best for each child is something we’ve been advocating for more than 35 years.

Homeschool grads go to college, join the military, launch their own businesses, and start families. They serve in soup kitchens, run for office, fight fires, and give back to their communities in many other ways.

In fact, more than 1.7 million students are homeschooling in the U.S., according to the National Center for Education Statistics.If both parents are working, it is still possible to make homeschooling work through options such as alternating work schedules or one parent working from home. It takes creativity, commitment, and even saying, “No,” to some opportunities. But without the restriction of a traditional school-day schedule, families are able to carve out time together and even flex their homeschool schedule along with variable work schedules (such as healthcare providers or cross-country transport)."
Coronavirus has parents looking at homeschooling

I think Home Schooling is a great idea!

You can teach your kids to hate liberals and democrats and gays and atheists

and I'll teach MY kids that people like you are dangerously deranged lunatics who sould be shunned, avoided and discriminated against in the name of DIVERSITY and TOLERANCE!

I truly hope whatever you want to do to liberals happens to YOU first!

Did you know that home school students surpass government school students by every metric?

Did you know that?

Bet you wish you had parents who loved you enough to home school you, huh?
I have said that unless we wrest control of education back from the Democrat/Liberal government schools, as earlier Republicans pried their slaves away from them, the nation has no future.

BUT......

With the COVID-19 virus closing schools in China, South Korea, Italy, and the United States, parents are having to make a sudden and unexpected change in their children’s education. Most often, it means shifting education into the home.

This learning at home looks different in different places. In Hong Kong, the government ordered 800,000 students to take what the Wall Street Journal calls “a crash course in digital learning.”

In New York City, parents are already seeking out homeschooling resources that fit their children and their families in preparation for any school closings.

The freedom of parents to choose the kind of education that’s best for each child is something we’ve been advocating for more than 35 years.

Homeschool grads go to college, join the military, launch their own businesses, and start families. They serve in soup kitchens, run for office, fight fires, and give back to their communities in many other ways.

In fact, more than 1.7 million students are homeschooling in the U.S., according to the National Center for Education Statistics.If both parents are working, it is still possible to make homeschooling work through options such as alternating work schedules or one parent working from home. It takes creativity, commitment, and even saying, “No,” to some opportunities. But without the restriction of a traditional school-day schedule, families are able to carve out time together and even flex their homeschool schedule along with variable work schedules (such as healthcare providers or cross-country transport)."

I think Home Schooling is a great idea!

You can teach your kids to hate liberals and democrats and gays and atheists

and I'll teach MY kids that people like you are dangerously deranged lunatics who sould be shunned, avoided and discriminated against in the name of DIVERSITY and TOLERANCE!

I truly hope whatever you want to do to liberals happens to YOU first!

Did you know that home school students surpass government school students by every metric?

Did you know that?

Bet you wish you had parents who loved you enough to home school you, huh?

Really? How do you know home school students surpass government schools by every metric?

Let me guess! The HSLDA told you that and you believed it!

You don't believe it?

Figures......you've denied every fact and reality I've documented.

Please get lost.

Really? Where is the fact in that post? You have documented NOTHING to support your claim.

sbr031520dAPR20200314044512.jpg

Yes, and the only thing getting anything accomplished is the cat.

By every metric, home schooled kids outperform government schooled ones.

You weren't home schooled, were you.

"Standardized test results for 16,000 home educated children, grades K-12, were analyzed in 1994 by researcher Dr. Brian Ray. He found the nationwide grand mean in reading for homeschoolers was at the 79th percentile; for language and math, the 73rd percentile. This ranking means home-educated students performed better than approximately 77% of the sample population on whom the test was normed. Nearly 80% of homeschooled children achieved individual scores above the national average and 54.7% of the 16,000 homeschoolers achieved individual scores in the top quarter of the population, more than double the number of conventional school students who score in the top quarter. 1

A Harvard University (MA) admissions officer said most of their home-educated students "have done very well. They usually are very motivated in what they do." Results of the SAT and SAT II, an essay, an interview, and a letter of recommendation are the main requirements for home-educated applicants. "[Transcripts are] irrelevant because a transcript is basically a comparison to other students in the school."
HSLDA | Homeschooled Students Excel in College

The elderly are often unable to incorporate new ideas and facts into their thinking.
It appears you prove that.

"Standardized test results for 16,000 home educated children, grades K-12, were analyzed in 1994 by researcher Dr. Brian Ray. He found the nationwide grand mean in reading for homeschoolers was at the 79th percentile; for language and math, the 73rd percentile. This ranking means home-educated students performed better than approximately 77% of the sample population on whom the test was normed. Nearly 80% of homeschooled children achieved individual scores above the national average and 54.7% of the 16,000 homeschoolers achieved individual scores in the top quarter of the population, more than double the number of conventional school students who score in the top quarter. 1

A Harvard University (MA) admissions officer said most of their home-educated students "have done very well. They usually are very motivated in what they do." Results of the SAT and SAT II, an essay, an interview, and a letter of recommendation are the main requirements for home-educated applicants. "[Transcripts are] irrelevant because a transcript is basically a comparison to other students in the school."

The elderly are often unable to incorporate new ideas and facts into their thinking.

Do you have any idea what self-selection bias is? Of course you don't!

I have a Master's degree in this topic, while you sound like GED material at best.

He tested 16,000 out of how many homeschooled kids? How many of them opted not to take the standardized test? That's called self-selection bias and it's why internet surveys are useless,

I have a Master's degree in this topic, while you sound like GED material at best.

He tested 16,000 out of how many homeschooled kids? How many of them opted not to take the standardized test? That's called self-selection bias and it's why internet surveys are useless,

You are truly a dunce.

You must get tired of so many people telling you that.

BTW....the requirements in NYC require all home school students to take the very same standardized tests government school students take.

Now....please, get lost.

BTW....I'm an Ivy League grad, and one of us has valedictorian in their resume, and the other is you.

You are truly a dunce.

You must get tired of so many people telling you that.

BTW....the requirements in NYC require all home school students to take the very same standardized tests government school students take.

Now....please, get lost.

That's NYC. How many others?

BTW....I'm an Ivy League grad, and one of us has valedictorian in their resume, and the other is you.

The closest yu came to the Ivy League is graduating from a community education class on gardening where you were valedictorian in a class of two. Tell me about self-selection bias and how that makes your data invalid.

The closest yu came to the Ivy League is graduating from a community education class on gardening where you were valedictorian in a class of two. Tell me about self-selection bias and how that makes your data invalid.

When you graduated the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Clown College, did you get a diploma or just that big red nose>

My alma mater fight song:

Op-Ed: Coronavirus Could Pop the Higher Education Bubble

Posted by Mike LaChance Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 8:00am
“Once a large university proves it can provide a reasonable facsimile of its course offerings without the enormous expense, students may start to demand they do so”
How COVID-19 may be the needle that completely pops the higher education bubble

To promote social distancing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, universities across America have sent students home and are conducting classes remotely, via online video.

nearly 99 percent of all American law schools have moved online to protect students against the coronavirus. One would be hard-pressed to find a college or university that has not done the same."
Op-Ed: Coronavirus Could Pop the Higher Education Bubble

Of course the results are not yet in. Are the students who are "learning" remotely learning anything?

Of course the results are not yet in. Are the students who are "learning" remotely learning anything?

They weren't learning before.....where's the risk?

The Dumbest Generation”

“To Mark Bauerlein, a professor of English at Emory University, the present is a good time to be young only if you don't mind a tendency toward empty-headedness. In "The Dumbest Generation," he argues that cultural and technological forces, far from opening up an exciting new world of learning and thinking, have conspired to create a level of public ignorance so high as to threaten our democracy.

If the new hours in front of the computer were subtracting from television time, there might be something encouraging to say about the increasingly interactive quality of youthful diversions. The facts, at least as Mr. Bauerlein marshals them, show otherwise: TV viewing is constant. The printed word has paid a price – from 1981 to 2003, the leisure reading of 15- to 17-year-olds fell to seven minutes a day from 18. But the real action has been in multitasking. By 2003, children were cramming an average of 8½ hours of media consumption a day into just 6½ hours – watching TV while surfing the Web, reading while listening to music, composing text messages while watching a movie.

This daily media binge isn't making students smarter. The National Assessment of Educational Progress has pegged 46% of 12th-graders below the "basic" level of proficiency in science, while only 2% are qualified as "advanced." Likewise in the political arena: Participatory Web sites may give young people a "voice," but their command of the facts is shaky. Forty-six percent of high-school seniors say it's " 'very important' to be an active and informed citizen," but only 26% are rated as proficient in civics. Between 1992 and 2005, the NAEP reported, 12th-grade reading skills dropped dramatically. (As for writing, Naomi Baron, in her recent book, "Always On: Language in an Online and Mobile World," cites the NAEP to note that "only 24% of twelfth-graders are 'capable of composing organized, coherent prose in clear language with correct spelling and grammar.' ") Conversation is affected, too. Mr. Bauerlein sums up part of the problem: "The verbal values of adulthood and adolescence clash, and to enter adult conditions, individuals must leave the verbal mores of high school behind. The screen blocks the ascent."

What frustrates Mr. Bauerlein is not these deficits themselves – it's the way a blind celebration of youth, and an ill-informed optimism about technology, have led the public to ignore them. "Over and over," he writes, "commentators stress the mental advance, the learning side over the fun and fantasy side." Steven Johnson, in his best-selling "Everything Bad Is Good for You," describes videogames as "a kind of cognitive workout." Jonathan Fanton of the MacArthur Foundation writes that children have created "communities the size of nations" where they explore "new techniques for personal expression." Such assessments, Mr. Bauerlein argues, are far too charitable.

Mr. Bauerlein contrasts such "evidence-lite enthusiasm" for digital technologies with a weightier learning tradition. He eulogizes New York's City College in the mid-20th century, a book-centered, debate-fostering place where a generation of intellectuals rejected the "sovereignty of youth" in favor of the concerted study of canonical texts and big ideas."

From Bookshelf- book review in the May 13, 2008 Wall Street Journal

The Dumbest Generation”

“To Mark Bauerlein, a professor of English at Emory University, the present is a good time to be young only if you don't mind a tendency toward empty-headedness. In "The Dumbest Generation," he argues that cultural and technological forces, far from opening up an exciting new world of learning and thinking, have conspired to create a level of public ignorance so high as to threaten our democracy.

If the new hours in front of the computer were subtracting from television time, there might be something encouraging to say about the increasingly interactive quality of youthful diversions. The facts, at least as Mr. Bauerlein marshals them, show otherwise: TV viewing is constant. The printed word has paid a price – from 1981 to 2003, the leisure reading of 15- to 17-year-olds fell to seven minutes a day from 18. But the real action has been in multitasking. By 2003, children were cramming an average of 8½ hours of media consumption a day into just 6½ hours – watching TV while surfing the Web, reading while listening to music, composing text messages while watching a movie.

This daily media binge isn't making students smarter. The National Assessment of Educational Progress has pegged 46% of 12th-graders below the "basic" level of proficiency in science, while only 2% are qualified as "advanced." Likewise in the political arena: Participatory Web sites may give young people a "voice," but their command of the facts is shaky. Forty-six percent of high-school seniors say it's " 'very important' to be an active and informed citizen," but only 26% are rated as proficient in civics. Between 1992 and 2005, the NAEP reported, 12th-grade reading skills dropped dramatically. (As for writing, Naomi Baron, in her recent book, "Always On: Language in an Online and Mobile World," cites the NAEP to note that "only 24% of twelfth-graders are 'capable of composing organized, coherent prose in clear language with correct spelling and grammar.' ") Conversation is affected, too. Mr. Bauerlein sums up part of the problem: "The verbal values of adulthood and adolescence clash, and to enter adult conditions, individuals must leave the verbal mores of high school behind. The screen blocks the ascent."

What frustrates Mr. Bauerlein is not these deficits themselves – it's the way a blind celebration of youth, and an ill-informed optimism about technology, have led the public to ignore them. "Over and over," he writes, "commentators stress the mental advance, the learning side over the fun and fantasy side." Steven Johnson, in his best-selling "Everything Bad Is Good for You," describes videogames as "a kind of cognitive workout." Jonathan Fanton of the MacArthur Foundation writes that children have created "communities the size of nations" where they explore "new techniques for personal expression." Such assessments, Mr. Bauerlein argues, are far too charitable.

Mr. Bauerlein contrasts such "evidence-lite enthusiasm" for digital technologies with a weightier learning tradition. He eulogizes New York's City College in the mid-20th century, a book-centered, debate-fostering place where a generation of intellectuals rejected the "sovereignty of youth" in favor of the concerted study of canonical texts and big ideas."

BLUF: I have nothing against people homeschooling their kids and agree that our schools need to raise the bar on student performance.

What I don't accept is that is it 'liberal' schools that are the cause of our poor ranking. My kids public schools were much better than the public schools I attended and I think the main reason is that I live in a more affluent county than the one I grew up in. Since school funding is mostly local, poor neighborhoods generally have poor schools. They lack the resources but more importantly, they lack the culture of academic success being a critical goal. Poor neighborhoods tend to be Democrat because the GOP usually refuses to provide the help the Dems offer. In Red states the affluent tend towards homeschooling or private schools and starve the public schools of resources.

In other words, the poor neighborhoods are Democrat/liberal because the schools are so bad, the schools are not bad because the neighborhoods are Democrat/liberal.

BUT......

That’s not an advance. It’s going back to the dark ages so we have I’m evils like you who try to pretend they know anything

The Dumbest Generation”

You’re the dumbest generation

The Dumbest Generation”

BLUF: I have nothing against people homeschooling their kids and agree that our schools need to raise the bar on student performance.

What I don't accept is that is it 'liberal' schools that are the cause of our poor ranking. My kids public schools were much better than the public schools I attended and I think the main reason is that I live in a more affluent county than the one I grew up in. Since school funding is mostly local, poor neighborhoods generally have poor schools. They lack the resources but more importantly, they lack the culture of academic success being a critical goal. Poor neighborhoods tend to be Democrat because the GOP usually refuses to provide the help the Dems offer. In Red states the affluent tend towards homeschooling or private schools and starve the public schools of resources.

In other words, the poor neighborhoods are Democrat/liberal because the schools are so bad, the schools are not bad because the neighborhoods are Democrat/liberal.

"What I don't accept is that is it 'liberal' schools that are the cause of our poor ranking. My kids public schools were much better than the public schools I attended..."

Nothing could be further from the truth.

As a government school grad, you have no ability to make that judgement.

“In fourth grade, American students outperform most other countries in reading, math and science. Fourth-graders score in the 92nd percentile in science, the 58th percentile in math and the 70th percentile in reading, where they beat 26 of 35 countries, including Germany, France and Italy. But by the eighth grade, American students are only midrange in international comparisons. By the 12th grade Americans fall from the 92nd percentile in science to the 29th percentile. While American fourth-graders are bested only by South Korea and Japan in science, by 12th grade, the only countries the American students can beat are Lithuania, Cyprus and South Africa.” Coulter, ‘Godless’p151

Once again you prove what the finest President in 100 years wrote:
The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

Ronald Reagan

BUT......

That’s not an advance. It’s going back to the dark ages so we have I’m evils like you who try to pretend they know anything

"That’s not an advance. It’s going back to the dark ages so we have I’m evils like you who try to pretend they know anything"

It's not that I know 'anything'....it's that I know everything.
That's why you're so upset....you can't find a single thing I am not correct about.

Here's the result of Liberals owning and operating the schools:

“In fourth grade, American students outperform most other countries in reading, math and science. Fourth-graders score in the 92nd percentile in science, the 58th percentile in math and the 70th percentile in reading, where they beat 26 of 35 countries, including Germany, France and Italy. But by the eighth grade, American students are only midrange in international comparisons. By the 12th grade Americans fall from the 92nd percentile in science to the 29th percentile. While American fourth-graders are bested only by South Korea and Japan in science, by 12th grade, the only countries the American students can beat are Lithuania, Cyprus and South Africa.” Coulter, ‘Godless’p151

The Dumbest Generation”

You’re the dumbest generation

Watch me ram those words back down your ignorant throat:

Can you name two or three of the books that have informed your geopolitical views?

Left you speechless, huh?

I'm no fan of Coulter but even if everything you've quoted here is true, I see nothing in it pointing to any cause, certainly not 'liberal' schools.

Forum List

Back