How YOUR Senator Voted On Keystone XL

Why is that? The Koch brothers made their money running businesses with thousands of employees. Do you even know how Soros made his millions?
but aren't you just SWAPPING jobs, at the very most? You're killing all the trucker's permanent jobs hauling the stuff now and trading those jobs in for temporary construction jobs? Taking from Peter to give to Paul?

There is a shortage of long haul truckers as it is, other things will come in to pick up the slack. Same goes with rail transport.

If safety and environmental concerns such as spills are your top priority, a pipeline is the safest way to go.
Will our government have to use eminent domain to take American citizens homes and land away from them for a foreign country's needs?

I thought the US needed the oil at our refineries. That is where it is going to end up. If I understand eminent domain, homes and land are not 'taken' they are bought and paid for at the fair market value.
No.

This Canadian company can come in and buy the land from the person as you say, but if the family owning the land does not want to sell to the company wanting the land, then the government could use Eminent Domain, TO FORCE the families that don't want to sell to this company, off of their homestead, at merely a fair market value.

That is what I said. What makes you think they should get more than the fair market value? And, they can always sue for more and many do just that.

I do not think that a ditch three feet wide that a pipe is put in and then covered up would require anyone to lose their homestead.

I once owned a home on three acres that had a buried pipeline as my western border. There was a 10 foot right of way for the pipeline, but it didn't bother me or any of my neighbors in this restricted sub-division.

I can remember when we did not have enough room in our own running refineries to refine our own oil/gas needs in the USA and this is one of the reason's gasoline prices stayed high, even when the price of oil per barrel had dropped.

Now, I don't know what has changed to make our Refineries empty enough to need this oil to refine...it could be, refineries that were once down and out for major repair are now up and running again, but I don't believe we have added any new refineries.

And again, I don't know why these refineries had more capacity than they once had, but in recent years, I believe these refineries have had enough capacity to EXPORT their refined products overseas..... And maybe there is enough capacity to handle these extra tar sand oil from Canada, WITHOUT RAISING our own gasoline prices due to their refineries running at full capacity...

Has anyone seen an analysis of this?

but aren't you just SWAPPING jobs, at the very most? You're killing all the trucker's permanent jobs hauling the stuff now and trading those jobs in for temporary construction jobs? Taking from Peter to give to Paul?

There is a shortage of long haul truckers as it is, other things will come in to pick up the slack. Same goes with rail transport.

If safety and environmental concerns such as spills are your top priority, a pipeline is the safest way to go.
Will our government have to use eminent domain to take American citizens homes and land away from them for a foreign country's needs?

I thought the US needed the oil at our refineries. That is where it is going to end up. If I understand eminent domain, homes and land are not 'taken' they are bought and paid for at the fair market value.
No.

This Canadian company can come in and buy the land from the person as you say, but if the family owning the land does not want to sell to the company wanting the land, then the government could use Eminent Domain, TO FORCE the families that don't want to sell to this company, off of their homestead, at merely a fair market value.

That is what I said. What makes you think they should get more than the fair market value? And, they can always sue for more and many do just that.

I do not think that a ditch three feet wide that a pipe is put in and then covered up would require anyone to lose their homestead.

I once owned a home on three acres that had a buried pipeline as my western border. There was a 10 foot right of way for the pipeline, but it didn't bother me or any of my neighbors in this restricted sub-division.
the house is worth more to them than what some may think the Fair market value is....a long time family homestead, may feel their family history on the land is worth more than money.

Thus EMINENT DOMAIN, FORCING these people to sell, the government telling them their personal property rights are NOT greater than the foreign company that wants to take their land away from them via the hands of using our Government....

Why was it an outrage in New London Ct, with an American Company getting our GOVERNMENT to take these home owners land and home away... and it is NOT even being mentioned now, with a foreign company USING OUR GVT, to take the property away from American citizens that don't want to sell it.

That part just doesn't sit right with me....

No.

I thought I remembered for the lower keystone pipeline there were many people fighting to hold on to their own land....lots of eminent domain suits going on...

I just did a search and here is a recent dispute going on in Nebraska...

On Wednesday, a Nebraska judge struck down a state law that would have allowed TransCanada TRP +2.24% to use the power of eminent domain to seize private land to help construct a short 300-mile segment of the controversial Keystone XL pipeline between Cushing and Steele City, Nebraska.

The law in question, LB 1161, allows Nebraska Governor David Heineman and TransCanada to avoid regulators in siting a crucial portion of the pipeline.

Lancaster County District Judge Stephanie Stacy sided with three landowners who challenged the law, finding that regulatory power over industrial companies such as TransCanada must remain with agencies such as the Nebraska Public Service Commission, not the governor’s office.

The judge ruled that the law violated the state constitution, and she issued an injunction blocking the Governor’s office from taking any action on the Governor’s January 2013 approval of the Keystone XL Pipeline route, which would include allowing land to be acquired through eminent domain (Court Documents).

Nebraska’s attorney general is appealing Judge Stacy’s ruling.

While this judgment seems very local, it has national impact. Eminent domain is the power of the state to take private property for public use by a state or national government. However, it can be legislatively delegated by the state to municipalities, government subdivisions, or even private persons or corporations when they are authorized to exercise functions of public character, usually for health and safety (Wikipedia).

It is sometimes given to corporations. And it is debatable whether building the Keystone aides the health or safety of America, or even our general interest.

More Here:
TransCanada Tries To Seize U.S. Land For Keystone Pipeline - Forbes

Just because a pipeline did not bother you, does not mean it does not destroy others livelihood. My state passed a law requiring all eminent domain must be paid 150% of fair market value, it should have been 200%. First off "Fair Market Value" plummets when rumors of condemnation of property start swirling, so you get screwed by the time the seizure & payment takes place.

Then prime real-estate frontage value is destroyed when ROW prevents building on it. I know a family who had a automotive scrap yard in their family for 75 years before their property was seized by developers. It cost more to relocate the automobiles & the business than they got from the property. They were forced into bankruptcy because some billionaire wanted to build a stadium & parking lot on their land.

You can go fuck yourself with that seizing peoples property for "fair market value" crap! My grand parents had their entire 640 acre farm seized for pennies on the dollar because the government wanted to build a lake. Go try & buy another farm & relocate the operation for that. I have 3 power line, 1 gas line, 1 telecom & 2 oil line ROW's on my properties. Don't tell me it has not cost me dearly for those.

My neighbor plowed up a Sprint Fiber Optic cable & they sued him for so dam much money that they took his entire farm. I have hit the oil pipeline with my V-Ripper plow & peeled the plastic coating off. Just imagine if I had broken the pipe & caused an oil leak. I would have lost everything. They fly spy planes over my property twice a day to inspect the ROWs. Then every time they see something they don't like, their people come & hunt you down asking 20 questions.

Last edited:
It's surprising how partisan the MSM has made this issue. It really isn't about the environment, it's about money and jobs. Railroads are far more damaging to the environment. . . unless there is an earthquake. :wink:

Keystone XL Pipeline Facts: Pros and Cons

Keystone XL Pipeline Facts Pros and Cons Heavy.com
It's surprising how partisan the MSM has made this issue. It really isn't about the environment, it's about money and jobs. Railroads are far more damaging to the environment. . . unless there is an earthquake. :wink:

Keystone XL Pipeline Facts: Pros and Cons

Keystone XL Pipeline Facts Pros and Cons Heavy.com

so you get your news from an entertainment website known for "Behind the Music That Sucks"? okie dokie....

now reality:

Once the project is completed, operations would require 35 permanent employees and 15 temporary contractors, the State Department report says.

The Senate is about to vote on Keystone XL. Does the pipeline still matter - The Washington Post

the only money is to Trans Canada and other multi-national corporations. the problem is not the "mainstream media", it is about people not thinking for themselves and thinking if it is mainstream (meaning not extreme lunatic BS) that it is somehow all unreliable.

RR's are exponentially worse for the environment than a pipeline. That is a fact.

Alphabetical by Senator Name:

Alexander (R-TN), Yea
Ayotte (R-NH), Yea
Baldwin (D-WI), Nay
Barrasso (R-WY), Yea
Begich (D-AK), Yea
Bennet (D-CO), Yea
Blumenthal (D-CT), Nay
Blunt (R-MO), Yea
Booker (D-NJ), Nay
Boozman (R-AR), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Nay
Brown (D-OH), Nay
Burr (R-NC), Yea
Cantwell (D-WA), Nay
Cardin (D-MD), Nay
Carper (D-DE), Yea
Casey (D-PA), Yea
Chambliss (R-GA), Yea
Coats (R-IN), Yea
Coburn (R-OK), Yea
Cochran (R-MS), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Coons (D-DE), Nay
Corker (R-TN), Yea
Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Yea
Cruz (R-TX), Yea
Donnelly (D-IN), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Nay

Keystone-XL-pipeline-jpg.jpg

Enzi (R-WY), Yea
Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
Fischer (R-NE), Yea
Flake (R-AZ), Yea
Franken (D-MN), Nay
Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Hagan (D-NC), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Heinrich (D-NM), Nay
Heitkamp (D-ND), Yea
Heller (R-NV), Yea
Hirono (D-HI), Nay
Hoeven (R-ND), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Isakson (R-GA), Yea
Johanns (R-NE), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Nay
Johnson (R-WI), Yea
Kaine (D-VA), Nay
King (I-ME), Nay
Kirk (R-IL), Yea
Klobuchar (D-MN), Nay
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Leahy (D-VT), Nay
Lee (R-UT), Yea
Levin (D-MI), Nay
Manchin (D-WV), Yea
Markey (D-MA), Nay
McCain (R-AZ), Yea
McCaskill (D-MO), Yea
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
Merkley (D-OR), Nay
Mikulski (D-MD), Nay
Moran (R-KS), Yea
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murphy (D-CT), Nay
Murray (D-WA), Nay
Nelson (D-FL), Nay
Paul (R-KY), Yea
Portman (R-OH), Yea
Pryor (D-AR), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Nay
Reid (D-NV), Nay
Risch (R-ID), Yea
Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay
Rubio (R-FL), Yea
Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Schatz (D-HI), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Nay
Scott (R-SC), Yea
Sessions (R-AL), Yea
Shaheen (D-NH), Nay
Shelby (R-AL), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Tester (D-MT), Yea
Thune (R-SD), Yea
Toomey (R-PA), Yea
Udall (D-CO), Nay
Udall (D-NM), Nay
Vitter (R-LA), Yea
Walsh (D-MT), Yea
Warner (D-VA), Yea
Warren (D-MA), Nay
Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
Wicker (R-MS), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Nay

Loyal Rat Landrieu thrown under the bus by her pretend friends. :boohoo:

10084229-mmmain.jpg
[/QUOTE

And I think you'll find that most of the democrats that voted for this are up for reelection in 2016, and the Democrats that voted against are not.

Like Michael Benett from CO who just watched Democrat Mark Udall lose his seat is now OK with the pipeline, and of course is up for reelection in 2016.

Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have always arranged who is voting for and against bills based who has an reelection coming up.

Glad my two voted no.

but I love the pretend concern of the right for the 44 permanent jobs that would be created by endangering our environment and enriching multi-national corporations.

maybe they should put their passion into an infrastructure program that would create real jobs.

nahh

oh...and for the idiots who run around saying "don't vote", voting matters as you can see, which ever way you come down on this issue. (and every other issue)

It's actually 47,000 jobs during the two year construction period.

You'll probably find that most of the senate Democrats that were a yes vote are up for reelection in 2016, and the democrat no votes are not up for reelection until 2018, or later.

Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have been very effective on who's voting yes and who's voting no based on their reelection schedules.

Glad my two voted no.

but I love the pretend concern of the right for the 44 permanent jobs that would be created by endangering our environment and enriching multi-national corporations.

maybe they should put their passion into an infrastructure program that would create real jobs.

nahh

oh...and for the idiots who run around saying "don't vote", voting matters as you can see, which ever way you come down on this issue. (and every other issue)

You're a lying idiot! Keystone-xl.com inflated propaganda does not even make that high of a jobs claim. 250,000 jobs are created every month in Obama's economy. Keystone is not even a blip on the screen.

You'll probably find that most of the senate Democrats that were a yes vote are up for reelection in 2016, and the democrat no votes are not up for reelection until 2018, or later.

Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have been very effective on who's voting yes and who's voting no based on their reelection schedules.
You lie again! My Democrat Senator Claire McCaskill is not up for election until 2018 & she voted for KXL.

Glad my two voted no.

nahh

You're a lying idiot! Keystone-xl.com inflated propaganda does not even make that high of a jobs claim. 250,000 jobs are created every month in Obama's economy. Keystone is not even a blip on the screen.

So you don't care if people can get any jobs, as long as it's something that you are against? wow
So lets just keep shipping it by rail and when one of those derails you be the first to bitch about that too

Glad my two voted no.

nahh

So those jobs are fake ones?,you have no idea what you are blabbering about. A pipeline system this size once complete will have many more than 44 jobs,it will provide thousands while it is under construction.

oooookkkkk ... chickenwing is on the RW list as a union supporter ! the list keeps growing, former anti union Rw's continue to prove their hypocrisy has NO LIMITS !

good for you chickenneck ..
Who said anything about unions?

I can remember when we did not have enough room in our own running refineries to refine our own oil/gas needs in the USA and this is one of the reason's gasoline prices stayed high, even when the price of oil per barrel had dropped.

Now, I don't know what has changed to make our Refineries empty enough to need this oil to refine...it could be, refineries that were once down and out for major repair are now up and running again, but I don't believe we have added any new refineries.

And again, I don't know why these refineries had more capacity than they once had, but in recent years, I believe these refineries have had enough capacity to EXPORT their refined products overseas..... And maybe there is enough capacity to handle these extra tar sand oil from Canada, WITHOUT RAISING our own gasoline prices due to their refineries running at full capacity...

Has anyone seen an analysis of this?
You probably shouldn't even participate in threads that have anything to do with economics.

No.

the house is worth more to them than what some may think the Fair market value is....a long time family homestead, may feel their family history on the land is worth more than money.

Thus EMINENT DOMAIN, FORCING these people to sell, the government telling them their personal property rights are NOT greater than the foreign company that wants to take their land away from them via the hands of using our Government....

Why was it an outrage in New London Ct, with an American Company getting our GOVERNMENT to take these home owners land and home away... and it is NOT even being mentioned now, with a foreign company USING OUR GVT, to take the property away from American citizens that don't want to sell it.

That part just doesn't sit right with me....

As I previously stated, I can't imagine a pipeline requiring more than a few feet wide piece of land that will be restored when the pipe is buried or even elevated above ground. Very similar to the 10 foot easement in the front and one side of my home that sits on a corner lot. They just finished installing a 16 in storm pipeline that required digging a ditch and destroying about 10 feet of my well manicured lawn. The contractor finished yesterday and the landscaping crew is scheduled to come out next week and install sod to restore my lawn back as good as new.

When you find an example of someone losing their homestead to the Keystone pipeline, let me know and I will be just as outrages as you.

Forum List

Back