How you act when living abroad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hipeter924, Aug 18, 2012.

1. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    I find that when I am traveling in America I act like a New Zealander, and am quite proud to show it; that means using NZ phrases and euphemisms and behavior; which can cause problems sometimes, they can't tell me apart from the British or what I am talking about it. I always get the question, 'are you from London?' or 'Are you Australian?' :lol:

Whereas when I am in New Zealand I find myself acting quite American (and thus aloof and even foreign acting and looking), and being rather snide about some things i.e. the tiny NZ military and some rather silly foreign policy positions NZ'ers hold.

I guess when I am in New Zealand I miss America, and when I am in America I miss New Zealand.

If any of you live/travel outside of America, do you find that you act more patriotic when you are outside the country; and more constrained when you are in it?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    You are totally fucked up.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,941
    Which way do you want it? I've seen life at 5 stars. Or do you want the life from rocking at CBGB's.

I've done both lives so you have to be more specific.

4. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    I agree. Who the hell would go from New Zealand TO murka :confused::cuckoo:

5. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    I think most of us only come to understand out country when we leave it for an extended period of time.

Spend a year living in another country, culture and speaking another language, and you start to see your own culture with frsh eyes. It's an experience most people never have, because they never spend enough time away from their own country to really experience it anew.

It's a bit like dating someone for a year, and then being apart from them for 6 months - the person and the relationship look very different. But often what we create is a romanticised view of the person or place that then all crashes down when we come home.

Either way, when the ABs are winning and the surf is up at Hot Water Beach, it has got to be the best place on earth to be.

6. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    It would appear so..

7. NoNukes

NoNukes Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I find myself quickly defending America when people give knee jerk criticisms of the United States without really thinking about what they are saying.

8. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,764
    The 'Ugly New Zealander'.

9. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,623
    coming from a guy who fled the 1st world for the 3rd world because...."the Muslims are coming".....:lol:.....your something else Gordo.....where you going to run to next when something happens down there?.......Hugo collects Ca-Ca....maybe you can go there....

10. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,408
    I spent 20 years in the Navy and traveled to 26 different countries, probably 8 years of my career was spent cruising overseas. So, there are my credentials.

Am I more patriotic in America or outside of it? Probably more patriotic while in America, because it's easier to discuss politics with people who are affected by it, which means fellow Americans. I also fly my American flag on holidays, as well as wear red white and blue patriot clothing while running around town.

Outside of the US? I tried to keep a low profile because of several things. Number one, I was a U.S. Navy Sailor, and if it was made obvious, I could open myself to all sorts of nasty encounters (I went overseas in 1983 for the first time, and during those 4 years is when a lot of countries were unhappy with America as reflected by USO bombings), and number two, because I might never get a chance to see or travel to those countries again, I was interested in finding out as much as I could about the place I was at, and meeting the locals, and having lots of fun learning how they lived.

If I took the attitude of the Ugly American and acted like I was better than them, I would have missed out on a lot.