How Trump's executive order on campus free speech could affect colleges

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
The news report is in the first 2 minutes of the video. The rest is just interviews and such on the subject.

I am neither con nor lib - and I realize Trump is doing this to help cons specifically - but I have ZERO problem with this order.

Free speech is - IMO - CRITICAL to a healthy nation.

When I was in university, free speech on both sides was strongly encouraged. It DEFINITELY does NOT seem to be that way anymore. If Ann Coulter (who I am no fan of AT ALL) wants to speak on a campus - people should not be able to stop her from speaking. If you don't like what she has to say - don't listen to it. But trying to muzzle her is deeply wrong and weak.
And if a college/university is going to receive federal funds - the LEAST they can do is make sure their campuses promote free speech.
I am not sure what difference this order will make. But I see no way that it can realistically do much damage.

I think Trump got this one right (for a change).

Last edited:
Totally agree. The outrages that really piss me off are:

Then the recent attack on a Trump supporter Berkeley
Video shows conservative activist being attacked on UC Berkeley campus

Then even more dangerous are professors who grade based on political thought rather than rationale'. They need to check their bias at the classroom doorway. Conservative students have every right to an education the same as liberals. Why isn't there a better ratio of conservative/liberal professors in colleges?

Perhaps all colleges should make the speaker rent a space off campus and hold their speech and the speaker can provide their own security.

U.S. colleges spend millions on security to host controversial speakers

This is a pic of Milo

MW-GR393_milo_20181008131521_ZH.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps all colleges should make the speaker rent a space off campus and hold their speech and the speaker can provide their own security.

This is a pic of Milo

That's the entire point! TOLERANCE. If students riot then they lose Federal money. If students can't handle different points of view, then they don't belong in college. Its about a battle of ideas. If colleges need security because of antifa rioters, then they need to bring more conservative kids to university. I'm also assuming that liberal professors encourage acts of violence. If so they need to be fired.

The reason that some colleges have turned away some voices has nothing to do with denying free speech and everything to do with maintaining security on campus.

In today’s media on demand cultures, nobody is prevented from being heard.

Next fake controversy.

This is a pic of Milo

That's the entire point! TOLERANCE. If students riot then they lose Federal money. If students can't handle different points of view, then they don't belong in college. Its about a battle of ideas. If colleges need security because of antifa rioters, then they need to bring more conservative kids to university. I'm also assuming that liberal professors encourage acts of violence. If so they need to be fired.

That is not a different viewpoint, that is hate speech.

The fact is, kids on the right, are already far advanced of kids on the left. They do not lie and cheat to get in and they are not drinking the communist Kool-Aide.

The reason that some colleges have turned away some voices has nothing to do with denying free speech and everything to do with maintaining security on campus.

Next fake controversy.

What you are saying then is all people on campus have to do to stop people they don't like from speaking - is to threaten violence.
The school will then cave and revoke the invite of that person to speak (like what happened with Ann Coulter).

That's ridiculous. That is giving into violence...accepting it. Allowing bullies to flourish.

I generally despise Trump as POTUS...but he is right here.

All he is saying - in essence - is: 'if you want federal funding, you better make damn sure that the people whom you invite to speak are allowed to do so AND you better protect them from assault/violence simply for exercising their right to free speech.'

There is NOTHING wrong with that.

Last edited:

Next fake controversy.

That's an indictment of the students in college today.

This is a pic of Milo

MW-GR393_milo_20181008131521_ZH.jpg
You represent the demise of our nation. Its not inclusion you want. It is domination. And our comptiveness is suffering for it.

So Feminism is a cancer, gee Kellyanne Conway's says she is a feminist (or in love with Trump), and Melaina overlooked Trump sexual assaults as locker room talk. Also Democrats have a mental disorder.

Do you agree with his viewpoints and should the college pay to protect this hater and misogynist. He is also a pedophile

He is such a good mentor for students. Well only for conservative students. LOL.

This is a pic of Milo

That is not a different viewpoint, that is hate speech.

Not as hateful as a blow to the head. And I will back hate speech legislation when I get to define what it is.

The fact is, kids on the right, are already far advanced of kids on the left. They do not lie and cheat to get in and they are not drinking the communist Kool-Aide.

Really tell that to the trumps.

Next fake controversy.

What you are saying then is all people on campus have to do to stop people they don't like from speaking - is to threaten violence.

That's ridiculous. That is giving into violence...accepting it. Allowing bullies to flourish.

I generally despise Trump as POTUS...but he is right here.

All he is saying is: 'if you want federal funding, you better make damn sure that the people whom you invite to speak are allowed to do so you do not allow people to bully/threaten people on your campuses to muzzle other people from exercising their right to Freedom of Speech.'

There is NOTHING wrong with that.

It’s not a problem that requires action. It’s limited in scope and overblown by RW whiners who need something to stir up their base with.

College students and their institutions are not opposed to hearing differing POV. They simply want to keep hate speech where it belongs.

The protests that you have seen when someone like Milo or Spencer books a gig at a college are organic. Nobody is planning to shut down speech.

Next fake controversy.

That's an indictment of the students in college today.

No it isn’t. You should meet some of them.

There's always an excuse to shut down freedom of expression.

Amazingly, many out there are still afraid of words and want to silence others. In America.

Instead of looking for excuses to shut down words we don't like, we should be working together to protect them.

Forum List

Back