How to tell a truth from a lie.

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Discuss.

Lying is the deliberate saying of a falsehood with the motivation to deceive. Can anyone but a mind reader know another person's motives truly?

If I say the sky is blue, even though the evidence from the clouds is that it is gray, am I lying?

Is the sky really gray?

No, the sky is neither gray nor blue. The sky appears gray and blue at times due to circumstances.

What is the "true" color of the sky?

The question of what is truth is profoundly spiritual.

Last edited:
Discuss.

Lying is the deliberate saying of a falsehood with the motivation to deceive. Can anyone but a mind reader know another person's motives truly?

If I say the sky is blue, even though the evidence from the clouds is that it is gray, am I lying?

Is the sky really gray?

No, the sky is neither gray nor blue. The sky appears gray and blue at times due to circumstances.

Not when one lies about serving in the military – that lie always gets found out.

Sky is what ever color the light is reflecting through the atmosphere and at night it's black or something like that.

Adds a whole new meaning to the term "Bush lied, people died".
If he believed, then he wasn't lying.
Just saying.

Repeating a falsehood, even if you believe in that falsehood, is lying. Belief does not change the quality of truth.

I agree with Avatar. You have to verify if something is true or false. Until then, it is merely an assumption and not to be confused with fact.

• Banned
Just saying.

Repeating a falsehood, even if you believe in that falsehood, is lying. Belief does not change the quality of truth.

I agree with Avatar. You have to verify if something is true or false. Until then, it is merely an assumption and not to be confused with fact.

Most people who believe in God cannot verify his/her existence. Are they all liars?

Just saying.
No, if he believed then he is a stupid liar. Lying is telling lies and a liar is someone who tells lies. If they know they are lying then they are PREMEDITATED liars, and if they don't know they are telling lies then they are STUPID liars, but liars none the less.

Just saying.

Most people who believe in God cannot verify his/her existence. Are they all liars?

They are assuming God, until they can verify their GOD(I do not confuse the god of one religion with another due to the difference in these god's claimed personality) they should not convey that their god's existance is an unmistakable fact.

The real problem with a belief in a GOD comes when the religion makes claims about the belief system and faith that does not pan out in reality.

Just saying.

That isn't what I said. I said you have to weigh the evidence. Because sometimes it's impossible to verify whether something is true or false. In that cause you have to look at all the factors, give weight to some evidence over others and make a determination.

Just saying.

You're confusing 'faith' with 'truth'.

Outside of the mind of the believer, faith has nothing to do with truth.

Discuss.

Is the sky really gray?

Yes people's motives are the most difficult thing to ascertain, that is true.

But that does not mean that it is impossible to know their motives are NOT entirely on the up and up.

And an untruth is only a LIE when the purpose was to misinform, that is also true.

BUT.......

When you encounter a person who is tenaciously clinging to their special verision of THEIR "truth"when the the TRUTH is apoditic?

That one can safely assume one of two things:

1.Either part of their motive is TO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE a well understand and irrefutable truth' or

2. They are either very stupid, or nuts,or possibly both.

And when people play the RHETORICAL GAME, (as so often happens here)

You know their motive is entirely dishonest

Last edited:

Forum List

Back