How To Talk To Millennials

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Millennials are Generation Y, persons born between 1977 and 1995. There are roughly 80 million of them in the US. They largely network through social media and generally speaking, are racially diverse, economically stressed and politically liberal. What is fascinating about this group is, apparently you have to communicate with them differently. I was totally unaware of this until recently.

Recently, I was having a debate with some friends about the new Ohio State University directive regarding "sexual consent." Those of you who haven't heard about it can Google it. Rush Limbaugh took some heat for comments he made about it on the air. The directive spells out in a page-long dissertation, what constitutes "consent" and how couples should handle the issue in their intimate relationships. I took exception, as did Rush, to the rather long and tedious recommendations, which seemed to be quite absurd on their face. Among the suggestions, young people cannot consent if they have consumed alcohol. Consent must be explicitly given each step of the way from kissing to intercourse, along with a discussion of why the couple is advancing to the next level. Also, consent can be given by anyone 13 and older if they are imaginative and creative. No shit, that's what they say, I am not making it up.

Now I don't know how many 13 year olds attend Ohio State, but if they are engaging in consensual sex, we have a bigger problem than we knew about before. Also, no alcohol? Are you kidding? How realistic is this in the 21st century? So anyway, this debate was raging on when someone informed me that this is how you have to talk to Millennials. Even though the OSU directive is completely over the top, absurd and ridiculous to expect it to ever be followed, this is how Millennials have to process information, according to some.

So apparently, we have a generation of mush-brains who can't comprehend basic thought. Things must be presented in abstract information packets with extreme overkill, or they just might not understand. The more I thought about this, the more it made sense to me, as I recall the numerous debates here at USMB, where every tiny detail of something has to be explained and spelled out in the most over-the-top way for some people to get what you're trying to say. Simple anecdotes and terms just don't seem to get through.

Herd animals are so hard to manage sometimes when another livestock handler raised them first. You just don't know all the whistles and whip-snaps. If they respond to abstract information packets with extreme overkill, then I guess you know what to do when it comes to this sexual agenda-gone wild...

...Just hit them with the opposing abstract information packets with extreme overkill. I'd start with HIV/AIDS education and branch out to psychology of child molestation survivors next...

Millennials are Generation Y, persons born between 1977 and 1995. There are roughly 80 million of them in the US. They largely network through social media and generally speaking, are racially diverse, economically stressed and politically liberal. What is fascinating about this group is, apparently you have to communicate with them differently. I was totally unaware of this until recently.

Recently, I was having a debate with some friends about the new Ohio State University directive regarding "sexual consent." Those of you who haven't heard about it can Google it. Rush Limbaugh took some heat for comments he made about it on the air. The directive spells out in a page-long dissertation, what constitutes "consent" and how couples should handle the issue in their intimate relationships. I took exception, as did Rush, to the rather long and tedious recommendations, which seemed to be quite absurd on their face. Among the suggestions, young people cannot consent if they have consumed alcohol. Consent must be explicitly given each step of the way from kissing to intercourse, along with a discussion of why the couple is advancing to the next level. Also, consent can be given by anyone 13 and older if they are imaginative and creative. No shit, that's what they say, I am not making it up.

Now I don't know how many 13 year olds attend Ohio State, but if they are engaging in consensual sex, we have a bigger problem than we knew about before. Also, no alcohol? Are you kidding? How realistic is this in the 21st century? So anyway, this debate was raging on when someone informed me that this is how you have to talk to Millennials. Even though the OSU directive is completely over the top, absurd and ridiculous to expect it to ever be followed, this is how Millennials have to process information, according to some.

So apparently, we have a generation of mush-brains who can't comprehend basic thought. Things must be presented in abstract information packets with extreme overkill, or they just might not understand. The more I thought about this, the more it made sense to me, as I recall the numerous debates here at USMB, where every tiny detail of something has to be explained and spelled out in the most over-the-top way for some people to get what you're trying to say. Simple anecdotes and terms just don't seem to get through.

I am the father of three "millennials". All three of them would have absolutely no difficulty understanding what you have to say. It ain't that complicated. Two of them wouldn't give a person like you the time of day. The other one would take an interest in what happened to you.

I am the father of three "millennials". All three of them would have absolutely no difficulty understanding what you have to say. It ain't that complicated. Two of them wouldn't give a person like you the time of day. The other one would take an interest in what happened to you.

Wow, what a coincidence, I am the father of 3 Millennials myself. I've never had a problem communicating with them, which is why this new revelation came as somewhat of a shock to me. Now, all 3 of my girls are different in their political views, one is very much liberal, one is very much conservative and one is mostly libertarian. But I raised them to think for themselves and form their own opinions, and I've never criticized their personal viewpoints.

Two of them wouldn't give a person like you the time of day.

And what exactly is "a person like me?" Have you gone and drawn an assumption of what type of person I am without knowing a thing about me? Shame on you, that's a bit shallow-minded, isn't it? You don't know me, you know nothing about me, really. But for some odd reason, in your mind, you've decided what kind of person I am based on something I've posted here, apparently.

The other one would take an interest in what happened to you.

Well I would hope that any civilized and rational human being would take an interest in what happens to other human beings. I certainly care what happens to others. I may not agree with you politically, I may think you are a complete dumb ass, I may even call you names and hurt your feelings here, but I genuinely do care about what happens to you. I wish you no harm whatsoever.

Wow, what a coincidence, I am the father of 3 Millennials myself. I've never had a problem communicating with them, which is why this new revelation came as somewhat of a shock to me. Now, all 3 of my girls are different in their political views, one is very much liberal, one is very much conservative and one is mostly libertarian. But I raised them to think for themselves and form their own opinions, and I've never criticized their personal viewpoints.

And what exactly is "a person like me?" Have you gone and drawn an assumption of what type of person I am without knowing a thing about me? Shame on you, that's a bit shallow-minded, isn't it? You don't know me, you know nothing about me, really. But for some odd reason, in your mind, you've decided what kind of person I am based on something I've posted here, apparently.

Well I would hope that any civilized and rational human being would take an interest in what happens to other human beings. I certainly care what happens to others. I may not agree with you politically, I may think you are a complete dumb ass, I may even call you names and hurt your feelings here, but I genuinely do care about what happens to you. I wish you no harm whatsoever.

A person like you? Why.....a blowhard. You are a blowhard. Need a definition? Surely this doesn't come as a shock to you.

My daughter.....a very caring soul...would take an interest in what happened ( past tense ) in your life that led you to become such a blowhard. She wouldn't judge......she'd just be curious. That comment had nothing to do with your general well being. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you knew that....but wanted to twist words a bit. I get it.

Still.....I'm pleased to know that you wish me no harm whatsoever. We have that in common. I'm going to mock you for being a blowhard.....but I've no interest in wishing anything but the best for you and yours.

Thread moved to more appropriate forum and several off-topic and family-flame posts removed.

Since this thread is all about 'talking to kids these days', some of the participating members are likely to use family experiences in the discussion. Do NOT consider those posts to be an opening to flame their families. Discuss, disagree, argue and call each other childish names if you must, but don't flame family.

This has nothing to do with how Millennials (myself included) think and everything to do with how government thinks. Stop blaming our generation for the nanny state our parents' generation created. Who ever "informed" you is an idiot.

Mine wouldn't look up from the computer....

Millenials are also the "helicopter parent" generation.
This generation is the most coddled, most (unrealistically) praised, hypersensitive of any generation in the history of the nation.
They are also very self entitled and most likely to expect things to go their way. They are the least prepared to deal with disappointment.

"A person like me".....This is so typical of today's liberal. They develop a perception and then make assumptions. Finally they feel entitled to make unsubstantiated accusations feeling no obligation to gather any facts. The liberal actually believes the is acceptable behavior.

A person like you? Why.....a blowhard. You are a blowhard. Need a definition? Surely this doesn't come as a shock to you.

My daughter.....a very caring soul...would take an interest in what happened ( past tense ) in your life that led you to become such a blowhard. She wouldn't judge......she'd just be curious. That comment had nothing to do with your general well being. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you knew that....but wanted to twist words a bit. I get it.

Still.....I'm pleased to know that you wish me no harm whatsoever. We have that in common. I'm going to mock you for being a blowhard.....but I've no interest in wishing anything but the best for you and yours.
She wouldn't judge.....No but you will and do so.
Perhaps your daughter is a hell of a lot smarter than you.

This has nothing to do with how Millennials (myself included) think and everything to do with how government thinks. Stop blaming our generation for the nanny state our parents' generation created. Who ever "informed" you is an idiot.
I did not see any reference to government or the nanny state.
If you are indeed a millenial, you must realize the general perception of your generation is negative.
Of course there are exceptions to everything.

How to talk to Millennials? Well whatever you do don't do it in writing, they can't spell to save their lives.
And could not find their state capital on a map....Or name their US House district member or US Senators.
Or probably could not tell you their own phone number.
If they broke down on an interstate highway, could not tell the 911 dispatcher their location.
Cannot add or subtract without use of a calculator.
Cannot spell or construct a sentence properly

Millenials are also the "helicopter parent" generation.
This generation is the most coddled, most (unrealistically) praised, hypersensitive of any generation in the history of the nation.
They are also very self entitled and most likely to expect things to go their way. They are the least prepared to deal with disappointment.

This has been the attitude of crazy conservative people for thousands of years. The cycle goes on!

You called? The problem with my generation is that most have been captured by propaganda firehosed at us by older generations. All that leftist idiocy is institutionalized. Parents are very fond of the idea that their role in raising children is hugely important, well then if you believe that clap-trap then this is what you get from parenting practices. A generation has been molded by it's older, and wiser, betters.

How to talk to Millennials? Well whatever you do don't do it in writing, they can't spell to save their lives.
And could not find their state capital on a map....Or name their US House district member or US Senators.
Or probably could not tell you their own phone number.
If they broke down on an interstate highway, could not tell the 911 dispatcher their location.
Cannot add or subtract without use of a calculator.
Cannot spell or construct a sentence properly

You are one jealous dude. Envy oozes from your pores.

I did not see any reference to government or the nanny state.
If you are indeed a millenial, you must realize the general perception of your generation is negative.
Of course there are exceptions to everything.
What the OP describes is the actions of a nanny state. That is what silly laws like this California sex law are--nanny state laws. I shouldn't have to spell that out for you.

The general perception is negative because of nonsense like this OP. My generation is coming of age in a time ravaged by wars OLDER generations have started. Debt that OLDER generations have saddled with us. A pitiful joke of an economy that OLDER generations have left behind. No, the negative perception of my generation is a petty attempt to scapegoat and distract from the real problem: the people in power now.

Forum List

Back