How to reduce school shootings.

This is happening by default. It's called the teacher shortage.
Teachers don’t feel safe. 50 years ago, teachers did not have to worry for their safety on the level that they do now.

Students are not held accountable. They fear no consequences.

I don't disagree with the principle here, though what you want to instill in them is that you FEEL better when you DO better. This is proven in ed research: just telling kids how great they are is of little value, but encouraging them to try and succeed at difficult tasks actually does make them feel great.

Of course, when did my profession ever do anything based on research?
Instead of 'commencement' speakers telling graduates that "they are the hope of the future", maybe they should tell them what has become of previous graduating classes. That'll wake 'em up.

Students today are more aware on a meta-level about the prevalence and consequence of bullying than ever before because it is taken more seriously, discussed more deliberately, and understood more comprehensively than in the past. The "oh, that's just how kids are" thing is in the past.

Students today are more aware on a meta-level about the prevalence and consequence of bullying than ever before because it is taken more seriously, discussed more deliberately, and understood more comprehensively than in the past. The "oh, that's just how kids are" thing is in the past.

Reminds me of a movie where the head of a "save the elephants" organization was secretly dealing in illegal ivory.

Isn't most bullying taking place online?

Reminds me of a movie where the head of a "save the elephants" organization was secretly dealing in illegal ivory.

Isn't most bullying taking place online?
That is constantly discussed and taken very seriously as well.

That is constantly discussed and taken very seriously as well.
What are the conclusions of these discussions.

A scientist recently suggested that the solution to the Asian carp invasion in the Illinois River was for people to eat more carp (this after all other efforts by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, the EPA, the Department of the Interior, and other agencies have failed to address the problem).

Predictably, this scientist suggests capitalizing on a new food source, suggesting that the carp population be reduced (but not eliminated). Clearly his reasoning was to leave a 'breeding stock' in the river to supply this new food source in perpetuity, without regard for the environmental threat to other waterways, especially the Great Lakes.

I offer this as an example of how government agencies and scientists deal with serious problems.

Last edited:
We have social media in Wales. Never had one school shooting. Try again.
My Dad and all his friends would take their hunting rifles to school on the bus and leave them in their lockers all day.

Yet never a school shooting.

My Dad and all his friends would take their hunting rifles to school on the bus and leave them in their lockers all day.

IMG_0526.jpeg

The most notorious mass murder back then was Richard Speck and he used a knife.

Instead of 'commencement' speakers telling graduates that "they are the hope of the future", maybe they should tell them what has become of previous graduating classes. That'll wake 'em up.

That's your own ax to grind it would seem, so grind away

Forum List

Back