How to live without air conditioning

Could Americans kick our addiction to cool? Maybe more happily than we think.

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

:eusa_whistle:

Tell this to the people living in Dubai where the temperature goes up to 50 degrees centigrade

Hottest place on the planet. 134 F. Furnace creek California,Death Valley.

They had AC in the 2nd century.

I love the heat myself, I grew up where it used to break 40 for two or three weeks in a row, that does not change the fact that modern cities need AC.

Did modern cities 'need' air con back in the 50's and 60's, or did they deal with the heat in other ways?
Need is very ambiguous when speaking of air conditioning in the 50's and 60's. It was a luxury for most people. However if you lived in a really hot humid area like the Southeast, getting a/c was a priority item for most people.

I can tell how I dealt with the heat without a/c in the South. I stayed outdoors until the temperature inside got down to 85. Then I turned on a fan, went to bed and sweated for an hour or so until I got to sleep. The early mornings were the only really pleasant part of the day for about 5 months out of the year. When I could afford it, a/c was at the top of my want list.

Inside of 10 years the EPA wants to make having AC like having another house payment.

Could Americans kick our addiction to cool? Maybe more happily than we think.

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

:eusa_whistle:

Tell this to the people living in Dubai where the temperature goes up to 50 degrees centigrade

Hottest place on the planet. 134 F. Furnace creek California,Death Valley.

But it's a dry heat.

I've been there. It gets cold and rainy there sometimes.

Out a/c went out Friday afternoon - 104f and wasn't repaired until Saturday afternoon - 98f with high [for Vegas] humidity.

I can't remember a more uncomfortable night and morning in more than 40 years. Don't care what anyone says, I'm spoiled and simply don't remember how to live without a/c.

Learn to sleep without covers. Hopefully you can get used to the sound of a fan while sleeping.

Out a/c went out Friday afternoon - 104f and wasn't repaired until Saturday afternoon - 98f with high [for Vegas] humidity.

I can't remember a more uncomfortable night and morning in more than 40 years. Don't care what anyone says, I'm spoiled and simply don't remember how to live without a/c.

Learn to sleep without covers. Hopefully you can get used to the sound of a fan while sleeping.

I can sleep without covers, and I am used to the fan going at night. That is all I need. I can't sleep unless I am at least 25 degrees (celcius)

We lived in the valley when I was a kid. It was hotter than beejeebus in the summer. We finally got a window AC unit when I was a teenager so at least the family room was cool.

I hated the hot weather and still do, which is why I moved to the inner bay...right across from the Golden Gate and the natural Fog AC.

I'm down the road a spell from you and I, too, rely on that fog as my air conditioner. In fact, NOBODY in this town has air conditioning. Not even the local motels. Just open a window and the pacific fog takes care of the rest.

Got a fan in the living room and dining area - none in the bedroom and we gave our rotating fan to one of our sons.

Lots of cold showers.:eusa_whistle:

We lived in the valley when I was a kid. It was hotter than beejeebus in the summer. We finally got a window AC unit when I was a teenager so at least the family room was cool.

I hated the hot weather and still do, which is why I moved to the inner bay...right across from the Golden Gate and the natural Fog AC.

I'm down the road a spell from you and I, too, rely on that fog as my air conditioner. In fact, NOBODY in this town has air conditioning. Not even the local motels. Just open a window and the pacific fog takes care of the rest.

The fog [and steam beer] was the ONLY thing I like about Frisco!!! :eusa_whistle:

Hello.

I'm in the southeast and it's hot but if I had to live without ac, I believe it's possible to be comfortable most of the time. A swimming pool, fans and dehumidiers would be good ideas. Prepairing foods that don't heat up the kitchen or grilling outdoors would be good as well. I also think light eating is a must. Plenty of ice cold water and freezer pops would help too.

I grew up without air conditioning. My parents didn't get an air conditioner until a couple years after I married and moved out. I doubt you have any concept of what it is like to live in the south without air conditioning. You can gloat about your building materials all you want. But before you do, you need to realize that the humidity in your area is almost nil, but exceedingly high in my area. That means that a temperature that would be comfortable to you would be stifling to me. Here, one doesn't even have to cool the air very much. It is the removal of humidity that makes the difference. The housing projects all have air conditioning. Go convince the welfare queens and hoochie mammas to give up theirs first. Then report back. I will never do without air conditioning while paying for someone else to have it.

Your post is patently stupid due to you lack of experience and lack of understanding that the building materials in your area would melt in mine.

Don't you think "stupid" is a bit harsh.

I HAVE lived in the south through some very, very humid summers. I HAVE lived through those summers without a/c or even a swamp cooler which works pretty good.
There a lot of alternatives that, while not completely taking away the discomfort would ease it a great bit. Before judging, READ the entire article!!! :eusa_whistle:

Gotta be honest with you, Long...I live in South West Florida and don't think I could survive without A/C in the summer. It's THAT hot and humid! If nothing else the mold and mildew you'd get would be killer.

It's 2013. Why would you want to live without A/C? Mine is set at 72 degrees......All year.

Its a luxury.

I love it when Republicans claim they can't live without AC, but they insist that poor people should be able to, because its a luxury. Funny that its a necessity for them, but a luxury for poorer folk.

Fact is, no one needs air con, and will never need it. There are plenty of ways to cool down without wasting power on those box like devices.

It's 2013. Why would you want to live without A/C? Mine is set at 72 degrees......All year.

If you have your temp at 72 degrees here in arizona in the summer time....well, that will be about a $500.00 electric bill in June, July, and august. In the summer we keep the house at 81.... But here is our payoff, we don't need heat. Our electric bills in the winter are miniscule. Eh. Give and take.

it's 2013. Why would you want to live without a/c? Mine is set at 72 degrees......all year.

its a luxury.

I love it when republicans claim they can't live without ac, but they insist that poor people should be able to, because its a luxury. Funny that its a necessity for them, but a luxury for poorer folk.

Fact is, no one needs air con, and will never need it. There are plenty of ways to cool down without wasting power on those box like devices.
pssst. Been over 100 for over a month here. :)

it's 2013. Why would you want to live without a/c? Mine is set at 72 degrees......all year.

its a luxury.

I love it when republicans claim they can't live without ac, but they insist that poor people should be able to, because its a luxury. Funny that its a necessity for them, but a luxury for poorer folk.

37.7 degrees celsius. Not that hot. I don't need air con with that.

If you have your temp at 72 degrees here in arizona in the summer time....well, that will be about a $500.00 electric bill in June, July, and august. In the summer we keep the house at 81.... But here is our payoff, we don't need heat. Our electric bills in the winter are miniscule. Eh. Give and take.

Why didn't you take advantage of the cheap solar when the Chinese were subsidizing their companies? It was $7k installed (25 year warranty) for a 2000 sq/ft single.

its a luxury.

37.7 degrees celsius. Not that hot. I don't need air con with that.

At 37.7 degrees Celsius, won't your underwear stick to your ass?

Build homes with deep cellars.

Retreat into the cool of the cellar when its insanely hot.

I do not have AC and on a 90 degree day I can get my house down to 78 (on the first floor) by drawing cool air from the cellar and exhuasting the houses hot air out of my attic.

FWIW that natural cooling system cost me about 25 cents a day in additional electric.

The key is to have a home that is well insulated with a deep cellar.

Last edited:
Build homes with deep cellars.

Retreat into the cool of the cellar when its insanely hot.

I do not have AC and on a 90 degree day I can get my house down to 78 (on the first floor) by drawing cool air from the cellar and exhuasting the houses hot air out of my attic.

FWIW that natural cooling system cost me about 25 cents a day in additional electric.

The key is to have a home that is well insulated with a deep cellar.

Cant have a cellar in the deep south. It would be better described as an indoor swimming pool.

Forum List

Back