How to live without air conditioning

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Could Americans kick our addiction to cool? Maybe more happily than we think.

A very interesting article from the Boston Globe @ How to live without air conditioning - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

:eusa_whistle:

A very interesting article from the Boston Globe @ How to live without air conditioning - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

They smelled a lot worse too.

Seriously, we only use it when it gets up there in the mid 80s but with the recent heat wave here, I am very happy we had AC.

I grew up without air conditioning. My parents didn't get an air conditioner until a couple years after I married and moved out. I doubt you have any concept of what it is like to live in the south without air conditioning. You can gloat about your building materials all you want. But before you do, you need to realize that the humidity in your area is almost nil, but exceedingly high in my area. That means that a temperature that would be comfortable to you would be stifling to me. Here, one doesn't even have to cool the air very much. It is the removal of humidity that makes the difference. The housing projects all have air conditioning. Go convince the welfare queens and hoochie mammas to give up theirs first. Then report back. I will never do without air conditioning while paying for someone else to have it.

Your post is patently stupid due to you lack of experience and lack of understanding that the building materials in your area would melt in mine.

Last edited:
I grew up without air conditioning. My parents didn't get an air conditioner until a couple years after I married and moved out. I doubt you have any concept of what it is like to live in the south without air conditioning. You can gloat about your building materials all you want. But before you do, you need to realize that the humidity in your area is almost nil, but exceedingly high in my area. That means that a temperature that would be comfortable to you would be stifling to me. Here, one doesn't even have to cool the air very much. It is the removal of humidity that makes the difference. The housing projects all have air conditioning. Go convince the welfare queens and hoochie mammas to give up theirs first. Then report back. I will never do without air conditioning while paying for someone else to have it.

Your post is patently stupid due to you lack of experience and lack of understanding that the building materials in your area would melt in mine.

Don't you think "stupid" is a bit harsh.

I HAVE lived in the south through some very, very humid summers. I HAVE lived through those summers without a/c or even a swamp cooler which works pretty good.
There a lot of alternatives that, while not completely taking away the discomfort would ease it a great bit. Before judging, READ the entire article!!! :eusa_whistle:

Don't you think "stupid" is a bit harsh.

I HAVE lived in the south through some very, very humid summers. I HAVE lived through those summers without a/c or even a swamp cooler which works pretty good.
There a lot of alternatives that, while not completely taking away the discomfort would ease it a great bit. Before judging, READ the entire article!!! :eusa_whistle:

I really don't believe you about living in the south. And I will not even consider living without air conditioning. Here in western KY, we have clean, economical hydroelectric power generated by 2 dams. The power I use does nothing to harm the environment. If your power harms the environment, then you are obligated to walk the walk and live without it.

Last edited:
I went through most of my child hood without A/C. Houses built back then had a lot of windows and we owned many fans. Moving hot air was better than no air at all. We survived but it was hot. While in the Navy on older ships we had no A/C in berthing compartments. All we had were fans as well. In the Persian Gulf during the summer it's HOT..............WE woke up from sleep soaking wet from sweat a lot during those days.

STAY AWAY FROM MY A/C BUDDY OR ELSE...................

LOL

They smelled a lot worse too.

:lmao:

Try that shit here in Arizona.

Yeah, that's death weather down there.

I went through most of my child hood without A/C. Houses built back then had a lot of windows and we owned many fans. Moving hot air was better than no air at all. We survived but it was hot. While in the Navy on older ships we had no A/C in berthing compartments. All we had were fans as well. In the Persian Gulf during the summer it's HOT..............WE woke up from sleep soaking wet from sweat a lot during those days.

STAY AWAY FROM MY A/C BUDDY OR ELSE...................

LOL

That freaking sounds horrible. I am a navy man myself, but AVIATION....lol

No boats for me and after reading what you just wrote, I am glad I picked that side.

i have STILL got the brand on my arm the latch on the shoulder strap made....:eek:

I dont know how you do it zona!!!

We had a whole-house fan mounted in the ceiling on the second floor. We'd freeze water in milk cartons, then place them in front of the door leading to the basement. Spent a lot of time in that one room LOL.

Yeah, that's death weather down there.

Here is the thing. I just purchased a new system for my house back in may. $$$ but that is something you do not play with here. Every single year I read about elders dying here because they try to deal with summers with no A/C here.

On the other hand, a good heating system is extremly important on the east coast. I spent time in New England. I get that but here, I dont think I have ever turned on the heating for the entire house. I have one space heater for my wife in the kitchen because on some mornings its a little chilly in the winter. Thats it. No heat.

Personally, I love it here. Yes it is hot in the summers, but I swear I was in my pool last Christmas and being raised back east, I do not miss winters.

We had a whole-house fan mounted in the ceiling on the second floor. We'd freeze water in milk cartons, then place them in front of the door leading to the basement. Spent a lot of time in that one room LOL.

McGiver. Nice.

My friend told me he has an attic fan that takes all the hot air out when it gets bad and they spend a lot of time in the basement. They open the windows at night and it also pulls the cooler air in.

No thank you. I loves me some air conditioning.

Forum List

Back