How to live without air conditioning

Could Americans kick our addiction to cool? Maybe more happily than we think.

A very interesting article from the Boston Globe @ How to live without air conditioning - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

:eusa_whistle:

Yeah.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Chicago_heat_wave

A very interesting article from the Boston Globe @ How to live without air conditioning - Ideas - The Boston Globe

In many ways, ancient cultures here in the southwest got it right more than we do today. They built homes of materials that reflected and kept out the sun's heat. They lived a gentler style of life and ate food that didn't raise their blood temperatures. And, a lot more socializing took place in the cool of the evenings. Heck! They even got to know their neighbors!

Yeah.

1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temps hit as high as 120 degrees, which is 48.8 degrees celsius. Hot, but you still don't need air con.

Run a bath with cold water, chuck some ice in it, and hop in.
Take all your clothes off and walk around naked.
Get a pedestal fan and fill a spray bottle with water. Spray the water all over your body and stand in front of the fan.
Run a towel under cold water, put ice in it and drape it around your neck.

Its amazing the ways you can cool down without having to rely on some silly box that blows cold air.

Yeah.

Temps hit as high as 120 degrees, which is 48.8 degrees celsius. Hot, but you still don't need air con.

Get a pedestal fan and fill a spray bottle with water. Spray the water all over your body and stand in front of the fan.

Its amazing the ways you can cool down without having to rely on some silly box that blows cold air.

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=98339&c=setreg&region=2

I hope these liberals find a way to keep their unicorns cool.

European heatwave death toll tops 40

Doesn't say hot hot it actually is.

Couple months ago I read in the paper about a 'heatwave' in England - it was 21 degrees celsius and they flocked to the beach.
Insane. I'd be inside with the heater on!

I can cope with the heat, but I can't cope with the cold.

European heatwave death toll tops 40

Doesn't say hot hot it actually is.

Couple months ago I read in the paper about a 'heatwave' in England - it was 21 degrees celsius and they flocked to the beach.
Insane. I'd be inside with the heater on!

I can cope with the heat, but I can't cope with the cold.

Right.

People die of the heat when it's 21C outside.

Got it.

Yeah.

I disagree.....

It's 2013. Why would you want to live without A/C? Mine is set at 72 degrees......All year.

If you have your temp at 72 degrees here in arizona in the summer time....well, that will be about a $500.00 electric bill in June, July, and august. In the summer we keep the house at 81.... But here is our payoff, we don't need heat. Our electric bills in the winter are miniscule. Eh. Give and take.

I'd take 500 bucks all day. Mine runs around 1200 hundred for the three hottest months.
Having three A/Cs sucks!!!!

Unlike heating, A/C is a convenience more than a necessity.

We are, after all, tropical animals.

Forum List

Back