How to get over religious prejudice

How about this... not giving a shit unless it comes to your attention an ideology calls for your death?

Is that your solution for getting over your anti-islamic prejudice?
Islam is an genocidal ideology that calls for my death
Im comfortable having a negative bias against it .

Fine. Islamic fundamentalism calls for my death too, and I am not comfortable holding a negative bias against ALL of Islam over it. It could be that those Muslims live far away from me, so it's a more abstract threat. I feel no threat from any American Muslim.

When the Christian Church in Las Vegas financially and philosophically supported the Ugandan pastor who was pushing the death penalty for homosexuals I felt more threatened. The fact that people in Las Vegas wish for the death of homosexuals anywhere disturbed me.

I don't want to hold a negative bias toward anyone. That doesn't mean that we should passively sit by and allow others to wage war and committ acts of terrorism and violence against others.

The Chinese committed genocide against the Tibetan people, no one seems to care that we have close relations with China and they have an abysmal human rights record.

Last edited:
The only real question I have for you is how come you can't debate without being insulting?

Why do you keep presenting opinions as facts?

Asking questions is not being insulting. If you find the questions I ask, and the facts I present, to be offensive it might be because your emotional attachment to your position is too strong.

The topic is how to get over religious prejudice. One strategy that has worked for me is to get to know people in the religion. I've gotten to know Sufi Muslims, and I have a positive regard for them.

I don't know any Mormons, so getting over that prejudice will be harder for me.

I know the RCC too well, in many regards. To get over my prejudice is more complex because of the life experiences I've had with the Catholic Church.

I don't know any Scientologist either. Reading Tom Cruise was a big turn off to Scientology for me. The fact that the whole religion is founded by a science fiction writer, makes it more difficult.

Truth is, most of us start out with prejudice and then we look for facts to back it up. The other way around is to research the religion through formal and informal means.

It's not your position that I find offensive, Winbag. It's the personal attacks, the name calling.

I have no prejudice against any religion. Prejudice is judging something, or someone, without knowing them. I educated myself and simply stopping judging without evidence, and all my prejudice disappeared.

I am, however, decidedly biased against some gorups because I understand them well enough to feel that bias is justified. Your biggest problem is you cannot tell the difference.

Is that your solution for getting over your anti-islamic prejudice?

Fine. Islamic fundamentalism calls for my death too, and I am not comfortable holding a negative bias against ALL of Islam over it. It could be that those Muslims live far away from me, so it's a more abstract threat. I feel no threat from any American Muslim.

When the Christian Church in Las Vegas financially and philosophically supported the Ugandan pastor who was pushing the death penalty for homosexuals I felt more threatened. The fact that people in Las Vegas wish for the death of homosexuals anywhere disturbed me.

I don't want to hold a negative bias toward anyone. That doesn't mean that we should passively sit by and allow others to wage war and committ acts of terrorism and violence against others.

The Chinese committed genocide against the Tibetan people, no one seems to care that we have close relations with China and they have an abysmal human rights record.

Actually, polls show that most Mulsims, over 80% in some countries, call for your death, not just the fundamentalists. Maybe you should be more worried about them getting over their prejudice of you than you getting over yours of them.

You also need to learn the difference Islam and Muslims. It is entirely possible to have a reasonable bias against Islam and not hold that against individual Muslims. I know, I do it every day.

Actually, polls show that most Mulsims, over 80% in some countries, call for your death, not just the fundamentalists. Maybe you should be more worried about them getting over their prejudice of you than you getting over yours of them.

You also need to learn the difference Islam and Muslims. It is entirely possible to have a reasonable bias against Islam and not hold that against individual Muslims. I know, I do it every day.

I don't have a bias against the religion itself. I have a bias on how Islamic law is expressed.

Muslims are not the only ones with homocidal hatred toward gays. 79 countries voted in the UN to make sure execution of gays is permissible by international law.

You keep tellling me that I have a problem because you don't like my view. YOU have a personal problem with me.

Last edited:

I don't have a bias against the religion itself. I have a bias on how Islamic law is expressed.

Muslims are not the only ones with homocidal hatred toward gays. 79 countries voted in the UN to make sure execution of gays is permissible by international law.

You keep tellling me that I have a problem because you don't like my view. YOU have a personal problem with me.

I do not have a problem with you, nor do I think you have a problem with me. I do think your views are naive, and I hope to educate you, but why should I take that personally?

I wonder how many of the states were Islamic states?

The Carribean Nations of Jamaica, Bahamas, Cuba, and Haiti, South African nations like Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Nambia and South Africa as well as Middle Eastern countries are notable in supporting execution of gays without cause.

Here is the full list:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Brunei Dar-Sala, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, China, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

It looks like 100% of Muslim nations support the execution of gays. Why am I defending Islam?

I RESIGN.

Last edited:
The Carribean Nations of Jamaica, Bahamas, Cuba, and Haiti, South African nations like Angola, Botswana, Mozambique, Nambia and South Africa as well as Middle Eastern countries are notable in supporting execution of gays without cause.

Here is the full list:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belize, Benin, Botswana, Brunei Dar-Sala, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, China, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Republic of Tanzania, Uzbekistan, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

It looks like 100% of Muslim nations support the execution of gays. Why am I defending Islam?

I RESIGN.

Sad but true.

Here is the full list:

I RESIGN.

Lebanon actually has gay clubs and an active LGBT group, although homosexuality is still illegal on the books there.

If they polled only democrats I wonder how many would admit a little prejudice against the America religious right or Christians? In the last couple of decades the American left has suceeded in erasing every vestage of Christianity from the public sector. When they couldn't get a left wing judge to order them destroyed they did it themselves such as the Mojave Cross that was ripped down. A single agnostic got the ball rolling to destroy the 40 Ft high Cross on a Korean War monument in San Diego because he was offended by looking at it.

If they polled only democrats I wonder how many would admit a little prejudice against the America religious right or Christians? In the last couple of decades the American left has suceeded in erasing every vestage of Christianity from the public sector. When they couldn't get a left wing judge to order them destroyed they did it themselves such as the Mojave Cross that was ripped down. A single agnostic got the ball rolling to destroy the 40 Ft high Cross on a Korean War monument in San Diego because he was offended by looking at it.

I admit to prejudice toward the religious right and dominionists. It's not the Christian faith I have a problem with, it's the politics.

Historic Christian symbols need to stay put, but that doesn't mean the country is or should be a Christian theocracy.

I admit to prejudice toward the religious right and dominionists. It's not the Christian faith I have a problem with, it's the politics.

Historic Christian symbols need to stay put, but that doesn't mean the country is or should be a Christian theocracy.

I don't have a problem with muslems either, it's the politics. I wonder if the polling data reflected that point? I doubt it. A couple of years ago the liberal media promoted a rumor that the koran was mishandled at Gitmo and the American left wing went crazy. The rumor was unfounded. The same left wing supported thugs who pounded the 10 Commandments off a Courthouse wall in Pa which had been there for decades. So...we have polling data that is intended to show prejudice toward muslems and hard evidence that shows hatred toward Christians.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- More than 4 in 10 Americans (43%) admit to feeling at least "a little" prejudice toward Muslims -- more than twice the number who say the same about Christians (18%), Jews (15%) and Buddhists (14%). The findings are based on a new Gallup Center for Muslim Studies report, "Religious Perceptions in America: With an In-Depth Analysis of U.S. Attitudes Toward Muslims and Islam," released Thursday.
In U.S., Religious Prejudice Stronger Against Muslims

How do you work to get over your own? Part of how I work on it is to post here where are so many different points of view.

Which religions do you harbor a prejudice against? How do you know you have prejudice?
Is it valuable to you to be free of prejudice?

I'm aware of some discomfort with LDS, with Scientology and with the Catholic Church. How I know I have the prejudice is there an inner attitude of not being willing to look at evidence to the contrary when I harbor a stereotype. It is valuable to me to be free of prejudice. For that reason, I have to work on it.

Why would you or anyone want to get rid of "religious prejudice?"

Apparently, you have not noticed in The Bible how God goes to great lengths to show how He Himself is very religiously prejudiced.

Do you even know God's clearly stated definition of religion ... ? Yes? No? Afraid to check?

Forum List

Back