How to get over religious prejudice

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    WASHINGTON, D.C. -- More than 4 in 10 Americans (43%) admit to feeling at least "a little" prejudice toward Muslims -- more than twice the number who say the same about Christians (18%), Jews (15%) and Buddhists (14%). The findings are based on a new Gallup Center for Muslim Studies report, "Religious Perceptions in America: With an In-Depth Analysis of U.S. Attitudes Toward Muslims and Islam," released Thursday.
    In U.S., Religious Prejudice Stronger Against Muslims

How do you work to get over your own? Part of how I work on it is to post here where are so many different points of view.

Which religions do you harbor a prejudice against? How do you know you have prejudice?
    Is it valuable to you to be free of prejudice?

I'm aware of some discomfort with LDS, with Scientology and with the Catholic Church. How I know I have the prejudice is there an inner attitude of not being willing to look at evidence to the contrary when I harbor a stereotype. It is valuable to me to be free of prejudice. For that reason, I have to work on it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I am not prejudices against any religion. I do, however, harbor some serious reservations about political ideology of Islam.

By the way, Scientology is not a religion so there is no need for you to worry about discomfort you have with them.

3. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Are you prejudiced against the religion of Islam or just the politics of Islamic countries?

4. Ropey

Ropey To Life! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,993
    Philosophical claptrap Sky Dancer.

On the ground. The works on the ground.

If you were in Iran, you would not be asking that question.

Oh, right.

You would be dead if they only knew your sexual preference and that is the ground interpretation of Islam. Many others die for less in Muslim countries.

[​IMG]

Last Year, Iran Executed a 16-year-old Girl | Alas, a Blog

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Stop wishing me DEAD in Iran. (who would you argue with if I am beheaded?)

Iran needs a regime change. Let the people rise up as they did in Egypt and are doing in Libya now.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,205
    The only way to get over prejudice is to learn to love others as you love yourself.

Be a friend to all and let yourself be full of charity toward all men.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I guess technically I am prejudiced against most all religions because I do not believe in a supreme being or an afterlife.
    However as long as they leave me alone as far as my lack of religion goes I leave them alone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    All of them. And it isn't really the religion itself....it's how it is interpreted by those who follow it..and how they act on it. Which is why I am None Of The Above.

9. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

I havent looked over this thread yet... I wanted to answer your question the best I could without influence.

Here goes.... How do I get over my own (prejudices)? I don't really have any prejudices against a "religion" per say. I do have a prejudice against certain behaviors. Such as suicide bombers, sharia law being thrust upon me against my will or convert or die mentality... With that being said, I have absolutely no prejudice against Muslims, Buddhists, Hinduists, Christians, or Wickens etc etc..... anyone who has deep religious beliefs are just fine in my opinion.
    I happen to be a christian.... not a very good one at times, but a christian none the less.
    I have had "religious zealots" tell me Im no christian because I like to drink alcohol, occasionally I curse (time & place for everything), and I dont attend church every sunday, and I just tell them thanks but this is between me and God.
    When a "religion" tries to get between me and my relationship with God or a person tries to get between me and my relationship with God, then we have a problem.

Is it valuable to you to be free of prejudice?
    No.... this is what gives us our core character and beliefs. I am prejudice against racism, I am prejudice against murder, I am prejudice against radical Islam, I am prejudice against The Arien Brotherhood, I am prejudice against child molesters, and on and on.

So Yes prejudice is a good thing in moderation.

Thats my .02 cents

10. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

Thats at the core of what I said in my post.

So I think we are on the same page.