Gay Travels in the Muslim World

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
  2. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Parvez Sharma, the filmmaker behind the documentary A Jihad for Love, discusses the underground world of homosexuality in Muslim countries. Filmed in 12 countries and nine languages, the documentary profiles men and women who struggle daily against persecution, danger and social isolation.
    Homosexuality in Muslim World Shrouded in Secrecy : NPR

3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Interesting to see ourselves through their eyes. I wonder how female homosexuality is received.

4. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I had a roomie couple a few years ago. One was from Syria and spoke farsi, the other was caucasian (Thomas) and from Los Angeles. Both were major WOW fans and the one from Syria is a champion player that plays at all the competitions being held for (Amir). One time while he was cooking for Thomas and I passed thru the kitchen, Amir had on a white tank like tshirt...and scars all over his shoulder. Bad ones. They trailed toward his back. When I passed by, he hurriedly put his hand up to his arm as if to hide it. I didn't ask what happened and pretended I didn't see it. My other roomie told me later that she asked him how he got such bad scars like that and he got flustered and refused to tell. All he did choose to say was that he was glad he was in the USA..because he would be dead if not.
    I miss them. They moved to LA since that's where the WOW and other game competitions were held often and it was too far to drive from here. I told them if they ever came back this way...the door would always be open.
    I miss Amir's singing while in the shower..even though I can't understand Farsi.

5. Ropey

Ropey Honey Badger Don't Give A Shit! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,762

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allowed to be human here and dead there.

6. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164

Aliyah is 22 now, still hovering at 90 pounds, the dark skin of her Indian roots hugging bone, a boyishly feminine lesbian with cropped black hair gelled into a tussle atop her head, long eyelashes and sharp cheekbones.

She has traded her abaya, which she wore throughout middle and high school, for an ankle-length black trench coat and sunglasses with metallic frames. She has one piercing in her left ear, four in her right, a metal rod bridging the cartilage in the ear's upper rim, a ring in her bellybutton, another in her nose.

Aliyah is Muslim. It's a part of her identity she can't shed, like her sexuality, like her last name -- Bacchus, as in the Roman god of wine and merriment -- and like her ink-stained flesh: the angel tattooed between her shoulder blades, the dark dragons on her lower back, the polar bear on her stomach, the dying rose on her right wrist.

Aliyah Bacchus - Faith, family test gay Muslim - Los Angeles Times

7. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164

Aliyah is 22 now, still hovering at 90 pounds, the dark skin of her Indian roots hugging bone, a boyishly feminine lesbian with cropped black hair gelled into a tussle atop her head, long eyelashes and sharp cheekbones.

She has traded her abaya, which she wore throughout middle and high school, for an ankle-length black trench coat and sunglasses with metallic frames. She has one piercing in her left ear, four in her right, a metal rod bridging the cartilage in the ear's upper rim, a ring in her bellybutton, another in her nose.

Aliyah is Muslim. It's a part of her identity she can't shed, like her sexuality, like her last name -- Bacchus, as in the Roman god of wine and merriment -- and like her ink-stained flesh: the angel tattooed between her shoulder blades, the dark dragons on her lower back, the polar bear on her stomach, the dying rose on her right wrist.

The story of a lesbian Muslim American and her path of self discovery and acceptance | Gay & Bisexual Women Community, Forum & After Ellen Members | AfterEllen.com

8. Ropey

Ropey Honey Badger Don't Give A Shit! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,762
    [​IMG]

http://www.ukgaynews.org.uk/Archive/07/Aug/1601.htm
    http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/awbb07.htm
    UK Gay News

9. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    You like that story, Ropey?

10. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    This makes me extremely sad. And angry.
    No wonder I like animals more than people.