How to get over religious prejudice

Well that isnt very helpful, Why would anyone have a positive bias toward a genocidal ideology?

Terrorism is a genocidal ideology. Islam is not, as a whole. Do some terrorists use religious rhetoric to justify their violence, yes.

Dominionists in America use Biblical references to justify their position that the US should be a Christian theocracy.

That doesn't mean that Christian theocracy and poltical activism is a Christian teaching. It depends on how it's interpreted.

The same is true for Islam. I get the impression some posters would like me to be prejudiced against the religion of Islam and Muslims.

I have a hard enough time overcoming the negative biases I already have without taking on new ones, lol.

So, Sky, how do you explain having extreme negative biases in some aspects yet you're so willing to be accepting of other religions such as Islam and give it the benefit of the doubt? Why are you at two opposite ends of the spectrum with Christianity and Islam whenever Islam in today's world is clearly the more violent of the two? It doesn't make any logical sense?

I don't understand what you mean in the sentence I highlighted in your post.

I have known Sufi Muslims and they were peaceful and loving. I read Sufi poetry and find it inspiring and compatible with Buddhism.

I don't care for fundamentalism, whether it's Muslim or Christian. I love Christian and Sufi mystics.

I don't give the Taliban or Sharia Law the benefit of the doubt. I give American Muslims the benefit of the doubt. The argument on this thread is about whether Islamic teachings are inherently bad or not. My stance is that the teachings themselves are NOT inherently bad.

Literal interpretation and fundamentalism is problematic in my view, whether it's studying the Bible or the Q'uran.

I can't make that any clearer.

The other problem is when religion and politics are mixed with the goal of elevating one groups rights over another.

Terrorism is a genocidal ideology. Islam is not, as a whole. Do some terrorists use religious rhetoric to justify their violence, yes.

Dominionists in America use Biblical references to justify their position that the US should be a Christian theocracy.

That doesn't mean that Christian theocracy and poltical activism is a Christian teaching. It depends on how it's interpreted.

The same is true for Islam. I get the impression some posters would like me to be prejudiced against the religion of Islam and Muslims.

I have a hard enough time overcoming the negative biases I already have without taking on new ones, lol.

So, Sky, how do you explain having extreme negative biases in some aspects yet you're so willing to be accepting of other religions such as Islam and give it the benefit of the doubt? Why are you at two opposite ends of the spectrum with Christianity and Islam whenever Islam in today's world is clearly the more violent of the two? It doesn't make any logical sense?

I have known Sufi Muslims and they were peaceful and loving. I read Sufi poetry and find it inspiring and compatible with Buddhism.

I don't care for fundamentalism, whether it's Muslim or Christian. I love Christian and Sufi mystics.

I don't give the Taliban or Sharia Law the benefit of the doubt. I give American Muslims the benefit of the doubt. The argument on this thread is about whether Islamic teachings are inherently bad or not. My stance is that the teachings themselves are NOT inherently bad.

Literal interpretation and fundamentalism is problematic in my view, whether it's studying the Bible or the Q'uran.

The other problem is when religion and politics are mixed with the goal of elevating one groups rights over another.

No, you said yourself that you had strong biases, and I know from speaking with you in the past that they are directed towards Christianity. You have made many posts and even threads in a negative light regarding Christianity, yet you defend Islam. You're at opposite ends of the spectrum with the two religions, and it doesn't make any sense to me at all. You have stated in the past that this was due to having to directly deal with Chrsitians regarding homosexuality and you haven't had to do such with muslims. Yet, despite being told over and over again that the Islamic religion is much more violent and intolerant of homosexuals than even the Christian religion, you still defend it.

I'll grant that you seem to be trying to turn over a new leaf regards Christianity, and I'm happy to see the effort. I can just say I really can't understand where you come from with your different points of views when it comes to the two religions at all. I would at least think you would see them in the same light, yet you don't seem too.

No, you said yourself that you had strong biases, and I know from speaking with you in the past that they are directed towards Christianity. You have made many posts and even threads in a negative light regarding Christianity, yet you defend Islam. You're at opposite ends of the spectrum with the two religions, and it doesn't make any sense to me at all. You have stated in the past that this was due to having to directly deal with Chrsitians regarding homosexuality and you haven't had to do such with muslims. Yet, despite being told over and over again that the Islamic religion is much more violent and intolerant of homosexuals than even the Christian religion, you still defend it.

I'll grant that you seem to be trying to turn over a new leaf regards Christianity, and I'm happy to see the effort. I can just say I really can't understand where you come from with your different points of views when it comes to the two religions at all. I would at least think you would see them in the same light, yet you don't seem too.

No. I am quite clear what aspects of Christian politics that I have a hard time with. It is NOT the Christian religion or Christian people that I oppose.

I defend the right of people to practice their religion. I do not see the Islamic religion as INHERENTLY flawed as many here do.

I do not defend violence of ANY religion.

I'm a person who studies things and when I do my attitude changes. If you want to freeze me into a Christian bigot because you haven't liked some of my posts about Christian politics there is nothing I can do about that. You're wrong about me. I am a gentle and loving person. I am honest about my biases.

I like you, and you're a Christian. I like many Christian posters here. I am not down on all Christians or the entire religion of Christianity. I would stand shoulder to shoulder to fight for your rights to practice your religion.

sky

Last edited:

No. I am quite clear what aspects of Christian politics that I have a hard time with. It is NOT the Christian religion or Christian people that I oppose.

I defend the right of people to practice their religion. I do not see the Islamic religion as INHERENTLY flawed as many here do.

I'm a person who studies things and when I do my attitude changes. If you want to freeze me into a Christian bigot because you haven't liked some of my posts about Christian politics there is nothing I can do about that. You're wrong about me. I am a gentle and loving person. I am honest about my biases.

I like you, and you're a Christian. I like many Christian posters here. I am not down on all Christians or the entire religion of Christianity. I would stand shoulder to shoulder to fight for your rights to practice your religion.

sky

I haven't frozen you into a Christian bigot, I can only use what you post to come to my conclusions, and I certainly never said that you weren't a gentle or loving person. So, I'm glad to hear you say what you have said here, and I guess time and posting will tell if it stands the test of your claims. I hope that you are able to continue to have an open mind about these things.

sky

I haven't frozen you into a Christian bigot, I can only use what you post to come to my conclusions, and I certainly never said that you weren't a gentle or loving person. So, I'm glad to hear you say what you have said here, and I guess time and posting will tell if it stands the test of your claims. I hope that you are able to continue to have an open mind about these things.

You don't believe me? So be it.

Last edited:
You don't believe me? So be it.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to help people who are stuck in their assumptions, especially religious-based ones. They can really only help themselves often times.

sky

I didn't say that, I said that time would tell if you are able to continue down that road, and that I hoped you were successful with it.

It's hard to help people who are stuck in their assumptions, especially religious-based ones. They can really only help themselves often times.

Especially religious based ones? How do you figure that? I'd say people helping themselves is true across the board when it comes to humanity in general.

I didn't say that, I said that time would tell if you are able to continue down that road, and that I hoped you were successful with it.

'Time will tell' means as far as you're concerned, the verdict is not out. You don't take me at my word.

You 'hope' I am successful. You fear I won't be.

Last edited:

'Time will tell' means as far as you're concerned, the verdict is not out. You don't take me at my word.

I'm going on past experience, so yes I'm a bit skeptical. But, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what you are saying and that I hope you are able to continue in that vein.

I'm going on past experience, so yes I'm a bit skeptical. But, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate what you are saying and that I hope you are able to continue in that vein.

Thank you for admitting your skepticism/cynicism. Sounds like you're holding a bit of a grudge from the past.

Buddhists have one thing to say about eliminating both hope and fear:

BE HERE NOW.

People change. Every cell in the body turns over every seven years.

Last edited:

Thank you for admitting your skepticism/cynicism. Sounds like you're holding a bit of a grudge from the past.

BE HERE NOW.

I don't hold a grudge, I like you Sky, I think you're a very sweet person. And I think I've changed for the better from our conversations as well. Nobody's perfect. :lol:

Islam is a religion. It has spiritual practices like prayers, meditation, fasting, and religious scripture. It has houses of worship and spiritual leaders.

"According to Jan Michiel Otto, Professor of Law and Governance in Developing Countries at Leiden University, "Anthropological research shows that people in local communities often do not distinguish clearly whether and to what extent their norms and practices are based on local tradition, tribal custom, or religion. Those who adhere to a confrontational view of sharia tend to ascribe many undesirable practices to sharia and religion overlooking custom and culture, even if high ranking religious authorities have stated the opposite."

You need to talk to me more respectfully in the future. Bye.

Why the fuck do I need to talk to you respectfully when you spout nonsense? Respect is something you earn, and you have not earned my respect. You refuse to acknowledge any opinion that disagrees with your expectations of the way the world works, ignore history, and defend a political philosophy that cares nothing about you, or me, or our way of life.

By the way, trying to say I have a closed mind because I cannot think past my little village is so stupid the only response it deserves is scorn. Tolerance is not unquestioned acceptance of anyone and everything that is different, it is accepting that difference and praying that for understanding.

If someone is trying to kill you the only rational response is to defend yourself. It is insane to ignore them in the hope that, if you just accept them the way they are, they will leave you alone.

Islam is a political philosophy, and a religion, but it is primarily a political philosophy.

Islam is a religion and a poltical philsophy. Christianity is a religion and a political philosophy.

The way I look at it. We see it differently. It's not necessary to tear each other down over a difference of opinion.

Some things are unsupportable for me. Any philosophy of world domination or military or terrorist aggression I don't support. If someone is trying to kill you, it is sensible to defend yourself. That doesn't mean to start to see someone who isn't interested in killing you as an enemy because they happen to practice a form of religion in common with your enemy.

What I support is my fellow Americans being able to practice their religion freely in the US, that includes Muslims.

If you want to discuss what tolerance means to each of us, we can do that. I don't tolerate violence or illegal activity. Terrorists are criminals and they need to be vigorously opposed.

You see it differently, I acknowledge that and I accept it. I respect your opinion. I don't find it necessary to call you names because we differ in our views. I would prefer the same treatment. If you insist on being purposefully unpleasant or hostile I'll just stop answering your posts.

Take care.

Christianity is not a political philosophy, the founder of Christianity specifically eschewed politics.

Islam is a political philosophy, the founder of Islam not only got involved in politics, he started wars to force other people to accept his political views.

I could go on forever pointing out why Islam is a political philosophy and Christianity is not but the fact that Islam started with violence should be enough for any rational person to understand the difference. The only real question here is, are you rational?

that could be that Sufi is as much about Islam as Voodoo is about Christianity. Sufi's were forced to convert or die, and they simply adopted the outer trappings and wen on with their real religion.

Why the fuck do I need to talk to you respectfully when you spout nonsense? Respect is something you earn, and you have not earned my respect. You refuse to acknowledge any opinion that disagrees with your expectations of the way the world works, ignore history, and defend a political philosophy that cares nothing about you, or me, or our way of life.

By the way, trying to say I have a closed mind because I cannot think past my little village is so stupid the only response it deserves is scorn. Tolerance is not unquestioned acceptance of anyone and everything that is different, it is accepting that difference and praying that for understanding.

If someone is trying to kill you the only rational response is to defend yourself. It is insane to ignore them in the hope that, if you just accept them the way they are, they will leave you alone.

Islam is a political philosophy, and a religion, but it is primarily a political philosophy.

Islam is a religion and a poltical philsophy. Christianity is a religion and a political philosophy.

The way I look at it. We see it differently. It's not necessary to tear each other down over a difference of opinion.

Some things are unsupportable for me. Any philosophy of world domination or military or terrorist aggression I don't support. If someone is trying to kill you, it is sensible to defend yourself. That doesn't mean to start to see someone who isn't interested in killing you as an enemy because they happen to practice a form of religion in common with your enemy.

What I support is my fellow Americans being able to practice their religion freely in the US, that includes Muslims.

If you want to discuss what tolerance means to each of us, we can do that. I don't tolerate violence or illegal activity. Terrorists are criminals and they need to be vigorously opposed.

You see it differently, I acknowledge that and I accept it. I respect your opinion. I don't find it necessary to call you names because we differ in our views. I would prefer the same treatment. If you insist on being purposefully unpleasant or hostile I'll just stop answering your posts.

Take care.

Christianity is not a political philosophy, the founder of Christianity specifically eschewed politics.

Islam is a political philosophy, the founder of Islam not only got involved in politics, he started wars to force other people to accept his political views.

I could go on forever pointing out why Islam is a political philosophy and Christianity is not but the fact that Islam started with violence should be enough for any rational person to understand the difference. The only real question here is, are you rational?

The only real question I have for you is how come you can't debate without being insulting?

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- More than 4 in 10 Americans (43%) admit to feeling at least "a little" prejudice toward Muslims -- more than twice the number who say the same about Christians (18%), Jews (15%) and Buddhists (14%). The findings are based on a new Gallup Center for Muslim Studies report, "Religious Perceptions in America: With an In-Depth Analysis of U.S. Attitudes Toward Muslims and Islam," released Thursday.
In U.S., Religious Prejudice Stronger Against Muslims

How do you work to get over your own? Part of how I work on it is to post here where are so many different points of view.

Which religions do you harbor a prejudice against? How do you know you have prejudice?
Is it valuable to you to be free of prejudice?

I'm aware of some discomfort with LDS, with Scientology and with the Catholic Church. How I know I have the prejudice is there an inner attitude of not being willing to look at evidence to the contrary when I harbor a stereotype. It is valuable to me to be free of prejudice. For that reason, I have to work on it.

You hate Christians but post this? Give me a break.

I don't hate Christians, I dislike you. Why? You are hostile and rude to me. You mistate my position over and over again.

I don't hate Christians. It's Christian politics I have a problem with, sir. And even at that, it's a minority of right wing extreme fundamentalist Christians, not all Christians.

Nonetheless, I suppose you're helpful to me because I'm training in patience. If you were civil, I wouldn't have to work so hard posting back to you, lol.

Oh please. You think that Christians should be precluded from the fields of education and politics. You say that JWs who go door to door *scare* you, and you blame them for the fact that there are old ladies in the world who open their doors to strangers and are brutalized by them.

You are a class A hypocrite and your ridiculous posturing as a Buddhist is so, so old. Buddhists have no use for homosexuals...funny that never comes up in your proselytizing and self-righteous blatherings.

You hate Christians but post this? Give me a break.

I don't hate Christians, I dislike you. Why? You are hostile and rude to me. You mistate my position over and over again.

I don't hate Christians. It's Christian politics I have a problem with, sir. And even at that, it's a minority of right wing extreme fundamentalist Christians, not all Christians.

Nonetheless, I suppose you're helpful to me because I'm training in patience. If you were civil, I wouldn't have to work so hard posting back to you, lol.

Oh please. You think that Christians should be precluded from the fields of education and politics. You say that JWs who go door to door *scare* you, and you blame them for the fact that there are old ladies in the world who open their doors to strangers and are brutalized by them.

You are a class A hypocrite and your ridiculous posturing as a Buddhist is so, so old. Buddhists have no use for homosexuals...funny that never comes up in your proselytizing and self-righteous blatherings.

Actually, my Buddhist sangha has no problem with gays and lesbians. I've been going to Buddhist retreats for many years and never heard an intolerant word.

When JW come to my door, I tell them I am Buddhist, and ask if they still want to come in. I remember meeting a beautifully dressed 90 year old JW. I could see that her faith got her up every day and gave her life meaning. I think that's beautiful. We connected through our hearts, rather than our respective differences.

When the LDS young men came to my door, they helped move my couch. We had a nice conversation. They were kind and sincere.

I don't think Christians should be precluded from teaching. I think they should keep their religious teachings by their actions rather than their words.

As to Christians in politics, no problem there either. Political organizing in churches should forfeit the churches tax exempt status.

I'm sorry you cannot post without name calling. It takes away from your message.

Buddhists don't proselytize. This is a religion forum. I practice Buddhism, and I am open as a Buddhist and a lesbian. I present my ideas just like everyone else here.

I'm not trying to make anyone else lesbian or Buddhist. Relax Allie, I'm not contagious, and I'm not after you in any way.

See ya.

Last edited:

BE HERE NOW.

I don't hold a grudge, I like you Sky, I think you're a very sweet person. And I think I've changed for the better from our conversations as well. Nobody's perfect. :lol:

Thank you for saying so. I'm a work in progress. I get up in the morning with good intentions and sometimes I blow it by breakfast. Other days, fifty fify. Once and awhile, I get through the day and rejoice that I haven't given in to a snippy response.

What you think of me matters to me. It's surprising.

Take care.

The only real question I have for you is how come you can't debate without being insulting?

Why do you keep presenting opinions as facts?

Asking questions is not being insulting. If you find the questions I ask, and the facts I present, to be offensive it might be because your emotional attachment to your position is too strong.

Last edited:

Why do you keep presenting opinions as facts?

Asking questions is not being insulting. If you find the questions I ask, and the facts I present, to be offensive it might be because your emotional attachment to your position is too strong.

The topic is how to get over religious prejudice. One strategy that has worked for me is to get to know people in the religion. I've gotten to know Sufi Muslims, and I have a positive regard for them.

I don't know any Mormons, so getting over that prejudice will be harder for me.

I know the RCC too well, in many regards. To get over my prejudice is more complex because of the life experiences I've had with the Catholic Church.

I don't know any Scientologist either. Reading Tom Cruise was a big turn off to Scientology for me. The fact that the whole religion is founded by a science fiction writer, makes it more difficult.

Truth is, most of us start out with prejudice and then we look for facts to back it up. The other way around is to research the religion through formal and informal means.

It's not your position that I find offensive, Winbag. It's the personal attacks, the name calling.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back