How to fix homelessness

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
1. Millions of people bought homes they could not afford in the long run - i.e. they bought homes that were too big.

2. It would be a shame if all these folks went homless, because they are hard working Americans for the most part.

3. But it would be unfair to give them help for nothing when millions of other people either didn't buy homes or bought smaller more inexpensive homes.

4. Many other people are homeless already or going homeless

5. Solution - offer mortgage assistance to individuals who need it - in exchange, they must allow homeless people to live in their home. The number of homeless people you're required to take in will depend on your home's size relative to your family's size. Each room will have two people in it, and any room that isn't a kitchen, bathroom, small utility room, or living room will be considered a bedroom. If you're a family of 4 with a 3 bedroom with a basement and dining room and an office, that's 6 bedrooms = 12 people you can take in two families of 4.

Last edited:
1. Millions of people bought homes they could not afford in the long run - i.e. they bought homes that were too big.

2. It would be a shame if all these folks went homless, because they are hard working Americans for the most part.

3. But it would be unfair to give them help for nothing when millions of other people either didn't buy homes or bought smaller more inexpensive homes.

5. Solution - offer mortgage assistance to individuals who need it - in exchange, they must allow homeless people to live in their home. The number of homeless people you're required to take in will depend on your home's size relative to your family's size. Each room will have two people in it, and any room that isn't a kitchen, bathroom, small utility room, or living room will be considered a bedroom. If you're a family of 4 with a 3 bedroom with a basement and dining room and an office, that's 6 bedrooms = 12 people you can take in two families of 4.
......GEEZUS you are so far to the left that you are flattened against the left field wall.....even Tim Robbins calls you a NEO-CON.....where the hell is the crack were you idiots crawl out of.....but you obviously are joking .....right?....

......GEEZUS you are so far to the left that you are flattened against the left field wall.....even Tim Robbins calls you a NEO-CON.....where the hell is the crack were you idiots crawl out of.....but you obviously are joking .....right?....

Hhahaha ... yea Im sure they want a hiv infected needle user sharing the dinner table with the kidos!!

Ya no the saying nothing is free ...
Who ever takes mortgage help has to in return complete multiple hours of community service type work. Saving the tax payers some $$$$$

one would have to consider that the majority of homeless are there due to changes in the mental health system in the early 70s or 80s giving the mentally ill the right to exist on the streets. no longer could the state force the mentally ill into places where they would be cared for and take their meds as needed...now they are on the streets...a friend of mine is brillant....beautiful and madder than a hatter...sadly...as long as she is on her meds and not drinking...she is fine...she went off her meds..began drinking...another old friend took her in...they were drinking together...no one knows what happened...other than she killed him...she is now in jail for the rest of her life..where she is medicated and knows what she did...too bad that help wasnt there for her before...too bad she had to kill someone...it was like a county secret...everyone knew it was only a matter of time..till she finally lost it and killed someone...everyone tried to intervene but you couldnt keep her taking her meds...the booze always took over...but she could not be committed...

Depending on where you are at as much as 80% of the homeless problem is people who ought to be in some sort of mental hospital unfortunate the left decided they should all be closed in favor of group homes never mind that there weren't enough that many of those in those hospitals weren't frankly suited for a group home as they are a considerable danger to themsleves and every one else they come in contact with.

Your idea sucks and LSU Bleaux.

No the basica problem isn't that they bough homes that were "too big". The basic problem is that the price of homes rose ffaster than the incomes of the people. On the 50s the average price of an average home was about one year's salary of the average worker.

In my lifetime the cost of the avergae home rose to about three years average salary. That was unsustainable.

No agrument from me on that front.

Yes, sorta.

Okay

Not a plan, I think, that will actually work.

First of all its predicated on the false asumption that people bought homes that were too big.

Secondly, it presumes that people are prepared mentally to live communically.

Few of us have that communial talent.

Everything we've been taught, our entirely value system, makes most of us truly lousy roommates.

Lets not forget that a lot of these people not only purchased a home they couldn't afford, but because of the rise in price also took an equity loan out on it and then as prices fell ....
That is irresponsible and no different than wall street, the banks or crooks.

Um you should check the actual numbers. The House I grew up in was a three bedroom, one car garage and Just over 900 sq. feet. Out here in Ok the average New Home has grown to just over 2000 square feet and a 2 car garage. And not a few are 50% larger than that. That house I grew up in sat on an 1/8 of an acre of land, not lots are not infrequently half an acre.

:lol:

They tried that in Dr Zhivago---it didn't look very comfy.

It depends. I could use a good landscaper ....:lol:

It depends. I could use a good landscaper ....:lol:

I'll do it if I get a decent bathroom schedule and at least 100 sq feet of personal space.

Lucky for the rest of us that you had the time to come up with this plan... next time go back to making toast with a hairdryer.

Forum List

Back