How to find a wife (history of women and marriage)

How were wives obtained in history? How is this documentary? Do you think it was easier in history to find a wife? Do you think it was easier for men or women in history for marriage and then after?
Marriage has a very long history from the taking of wives by force/kidnapping to polygamous societies--among others that would include people of the Bible-- to arranged marriages, to politically advantageous marriages, to more modern customs of dating until you find a good match.

And since the late 20th Century, marriage has been considered between same sex people instead of exclusively between a man and woman or women.

My mother used to say there was a mate out there somewhere for everybody who wanted one. I'm not sure that's true or at least some who would marry never find that someone to marry. But most who want to marry do.

Marriage has a very long history from the taking of wives by force/kidnapping to polygamous societies--among others that would include people of the Bible-- to arranged marriages, to politically advantageous marriages, to more modern customs of dating until you find a good match.

Only since the late 20th Century however has marriage been anything other than between a man and woman or women.

My mother used to say there was a mate out there somewhere for everybody who wanted one. I'm not sure that's true or at least some who would marry never find that someone to marry. But most who want to marry do.
I know there was one for me, but she died early. There were a couple after that but, the circumstances just weren't right.

Well, with the last one, I just got away. I am better off for that, too. And I know it.

They did a study to explain why married men live longer than single men. After a long exhaustive study (millions of dollars) they concluded that married men don't live longer than single men, it just seems longer. :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:
:) I believe however that the data shows unequivocally that married men overall live significantly longer than do unmarried or divorced men.

The data is far less clear, however, as to whether married women live longer.

So . . .

:) I believe however that the data shows unequivocally that married men overall live significantly longer than do unmarried or divorced men.

The data is far less clear, however, as to whether married women live longer.

So . . .
Because women constantly nag men to go to the doctor for check ups.

I think they do. In my life the ratio of widows to widowers I've seen is multiples more.
But does that statistic hold up under close scrutiny? I am at the age where too many of my friends and family of my generation have passed on. But except for one, all the widowers have remarried, usually to women at least somewhat younger than themselves, while I don't think any of the widows have remarried.

That was true even of one of our friends who is grossly morbidly obese, irritating in personality, exceptionally needy and confined to a wheelchair. He remarried (to a younger woman) after his first wife passed. He wasn't really all that well to do but I guess she figured the financial advantage was worth it and she wouldn't have to worry about having sex. Or maybe she loved him. Who knows?

But does that statistic hold up under close scrutiny? I am at the age where too many of my friends and family of my generation have passed on. But except for one, all the widowers have remarried, usually to women at least somewhat younger than themselves, while I don't think any of the widows have remarried.

That was true even of one of our friends who is grossly morbidly obese, irritating in personality, exceptionally needy and confined to a wheelchair. He remarried (to a younger woman) after his first wife passed. He wasn't really all that well to do but I guess she figured the financial advantage was worth it and she wouldn't have to worry about having sex. Or maybe she loved him. Who knows?
That situation could be different from other peoples' perspective, idk. Many of whom I was referring to were family

and our family has long lifespans.

How far back in history do you want to go? DNA labs are able to identify Neanderthal genes today. I doubt if it was love at first sight when a human woman spotted a lurking Neanderthal creature looking for a mate.

How far back in history do you want to go? DNA labs are able to identify Neanderthal genes today. I doubt if it was love at first sight when a human woman spotted a lurking Neanderthal creature looking for a mate.
If you have 2 parents 25 years ago, 4 grand parents 50 years ago, 8 great grandparents 75 years ago, and 16 great great gp 100 years ago, 32 gggreat grandparents 125 years ago, 250 ggggreat grandparents 150 years ago, 500 ggggreat grandparents 175 years ago, ....... 500 years ago, you had over 250k grand parents living at the same time making out to create you. Of those 250k of 500 years ago, how many do you think were black or Asian, or slave or mayors? Everyone was related to someone at dinner point. Neanderthal mixed with denisoven, so you may be more denisoven than neanderthal, and maybe more neanderthal than human hahaha ... Actually only 2 percent

If you have 2 parents 25 years ago, 4 grand parents 50 years ago, 8 great grandparents 75 years ago, and 16 great great gp 100 years ago, 32 gggreat grandparents 125 years ago, 250 ggggreat grandparents 150 years ago, 500 ggggreat grandparents 175 years ago, ....... 500 years ago, you had over 250k grand parents living at the same time making out to create you. Of those 250k of 500 years ago, how many do you think were black or Asian, or slave or mayors? Everyone was related to someone at dinner point. Neanderthal mixed with denisoven, so you may be more denisoven than neanderthal, and maybe more neanderthal than human hahaha ... Actually only 2 percent
I was being funny and somewhat sarcastic but you muddle up your own post trying to argue the issue. It's a bullshit topic for the history forum anyway and you make my case.

I was being funny and somewhat sarcastic but you muddle up your own post trying to argue the issue. It's a bullshit topic for the history forum anyway and you make my case.
I was being funny too. Ho suck on some chill pills. Yeah the history of colonial women can seem like garbage to you. I understand that.

This worked before

poussin072.jpg

Forum List

Back