How to Evaluate K-12 Teachers

Your teachers never told you?
If they did, I missed it. I think we were too young to understand a lot of it, taking Civics in 8th grade for example. Even though I was in the college prep course English Literature was way over my head. It was actually a college level course intended for college English majors. I deliberately flunked out and graduated from the 'general' course.

Last edited:
Yeah, every student who ever failed my class "wanted to." :icon_rolleyes:
Don't project that onto me.

I didn't want to be put in the college prep course. The school counselor did it without counselling with me. I was always better suited to the 'trades' course. Freshman English Literature was the last straw and I bailed. I still earned my college credits but never had any intention of going to college.

Imagine that a standardized test could be administered every September, then again in June, to see how much the students have learned. The contents of the two tests would be kept confidential to everyone, especially teachers. Teachers would be compared to their peers, district wide, and the poorest performers put on probation, then terminated if they have two consecutive years of inferior performance.
Is it possible for a teacher to be assigned a classroom full of unmotivated students?

Is it possible for unmotivated students to not try their best on a standardized test that has no impact on them whatsoever?

Should the teacher be fired for the scores of unmotivated students who did not try their best on a test that they had no vested interest in?

Last edited:
The biggest problem, as I see it, is that what is being taught in school is in direct competition with what is going on outside of the school. Kids bring all their outside baggage into the classroom with them, and the teachers are unable to deal with it (they have their own baggage to deal with).

How to evaluate a teacher:

Give the students in his or her class tests on math, history, English and science.

After that, give them a test on pronouns and gender identity.

If they fail the first 4 but pass the 5th, get rid of the teacher's worthless ass.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is that what is being taught in school is in direct competition with what is going on outside of the school. Kids bring all their outside baggage into the classroom with them, and the teachers are unable to deal with it (they have their own baggage to deal with).

We are being asked to raise children.

Yes.

Now, look around at society. It's hard enough for PARENTS to raise children these days, let alone teachers. And oh, don't forget--a prevailing attitude these days is: I secretly want you to correct everything my child is doing wrong, including behavior, but do it perfectly and angelically. Do not discipline MY CHILD while you're teaching him/her not to be a misbehaving savage.

I'm not kidding about the above

How to evaluate a teacher:

Give the students in his or her class tests on math, history, English and science.

After that, give them a test on pronouns and gender identity.

If they fail the first 4 but pass the 5th, get rid of the teacher's worthless ass.

Yeah, in what month of the year? Are we to pretend kids come to us as perfectly blank slates every single year?

How does this work in secondary school, where they have 5, 6, 7, 8 different teachers?

Oh never mind, you got your sound bite in and that jolt of endorphins for "fighting the good fight"

Yes.

Now, look around at society. It's hard enough for PARENTS to raise children these days, let alone teachers. And oh, don't forget--a prevailing attitude these days is: I secretly want you to correct everything my child is doing wrong, including behavior, but do it perfectly and angelically. Do not discipline MY CHILD while you're teaching him/her not to be a misbehaving savage.

BitchWhineBitchWhineBitchWhineBitchWhineBitchWhineBitchWhineBitchWhineBitchWhineBitchWhine...

Yes.

Hillary was right. It does 'take a village'. The school system is responsible for their part in raising the children by imparting the knowledge needed to be a productive member of society.

If the law demands that a five-year-old be enrolled in kindergarten, but the child isn't prepared (not potty trained) it seems to me that it's the state's responsibility to deal with it while the child is the compulsory care of the school.

However, as the schools routinely require that some kids repeat those early grades because they can't 'keep up' academically, they can also insist that such kids that aren't potty trained also stay home for year until they are.

Hillary was right. It does 'take a village'. The school system is responsible for their part in raising the children by imparting the knowledge needed to be a productive member of society.

If the law demands that a five-year-old be enrolled in kindergarten, but the child isn't prepared (not potty trained) it seems to me that it's the state's responsibility to deal with it while the child is the compulsory care of the school.

However, as the schools routinely require that some kids repeat those early grades because they can't 'keep up' academically, they can also insist that such kids that aren't potty trained also stay home for year until they are.

The issue presented when it became clear that "public" means "public". That means ALL children of kindergarten age deserve a "free and appropriate" education (that's the wording in the law, as I understand it). So it used to be there were requirements for entering school: toilet trained, skipping, zipping your coat or whatever. Now, we cannot make ANY demands. If your child is of age, by law, we must provide education--and we must pay for whatever is necessary to make that happen.

Children who are not toilet trained, yet are in general classes, often have a nurse follow them throughout the day (YES, a nurse!) in case there's an accident. Guess how much that costs?

The issue presented when it became clear that "public" means "public". That means ALL children of kindergarten age deserve a "free and appropriate" education (that's the wording in the law, as I understand it). So it used to be there were requirements for entering school: toilet trained, skipping, zipping your coat or whatever. Now, we cannot make ANY demands. If your child is of age, by law, we must provide education--and we must pay for whatever is necessary to make that happen.

Children who are not toilet trained, yet are in general classes, often have a nurse follow them throughout the day (YES, a nurse!) in case there's an accident. Guess how much that costs?
Why doesn't the nurse just teach the child how to use the toilet. Problem solved.

Also, you can teach the rest of the class that the law requires kids that aren't ready for school be enrolled anyway, and that pooping their pants should be accepted as normal. The child could also be allowed to remain in the class, regardless of how smelly, to drive home the point to the other kids. Praise the policy as part of 'inclusion' and 'diversity' so you don't get into trouble with the administration.

Unkotare,

Question fer ya.

Whose responsibility is it to teach parents how to prepare their children for school?

Their parents.
Where would they learn those skills, especially if the parent or parents are children themselves.

Did you know that most people don't know how to care for their teeth, never mind the ability to teach their kids?

Last edited:
Where would they learn those skills, especially if the parent or parents are children themselves.

Did you know that most people don't know how to care for their teeth, never mind the ability to teach their kids?

Are you familiar with the concept of “family”?

Forum List

Back