How to deal with sinus allergies?

BecauseIKnow

Rookie
Aug 5, 2012
Is there any cure to sinus? As a child I used to take allergy shots weekly to hell my allergy symptoms but didn't see a mentionable difference.

Claritin pills or any other type of allergy pills don't help either. They just make my nose feel stuck. It may stop a runny nose but overall doesn't make my nose feel free.

It seems when I excersise I can breathe better through my nose and it seems when I age it gets better and different.

But it would be nice if I can get these allergies to tone down....:cool:

Is there any cure to sinus? As a child I used to take allergy shots weekly to hell my allergy symptoms but didn't see a mentionable difference.

Claritin pills or any other type of allergy pills don't help either. They just make my nose feel stuck. It may stop a runny nose but overall doesn't make my nose feel free.

It seems when I excersise I can breathe better through my nose and it seems when I age it gets better and different.

I use a nellimed or Wassabi mustard.

Neilmed_adult_nasal_rinse.jpg

• Banned
Never tried that, I usually don't take any medicine for anything, I don't want to rely on pills daily, etc.. But you reminded me I used to have a bottle I used to spray into my nostrils, a prescription bottle.

Connery's recommendation is excellent. I use that when traveling.

I have a northern european (Norwegian) narrow bridged nose, and my sinuses are problematic. Here's what works for me:

- Claritin (once a day)
- Nasal irrigation morning and evening (Sinupulse system with a combination of Sinuair powder and Xylitol)
- Nasonex in the AM
- Astelin at night

I know this sounds like a lot. But it's what I have figured out in order to prevent raging sinus headaches.

Amazon carries the Sinupulse device, and Sinuair and Xylitol powders. Also, I keep a spray version of Xlear in my handbag for use when necessary. The Xlear products are rather pricey, hence I make my own version with Sinuair and Xylitol for use with the Sinupulse.

Hope this helps.

My doctor told me that decongestants can provide immediate relief, but that they will ultimately make your sinus issues worse.

Drink lots and lots of water, and use a saline rinse. That's what she told me.

Neti pot is your friend. Just remember to SALT the water (~1/2 tsp/cup), BOIL the water you are using, and let it cool to body temp. I use the Neti 'first thing in the morning' and 'last thing at night. If things get bad, I take a Claritin clone: if they get worse, I use the Nasonex or Bekonase nasal inhaler for a few days. And I wear a filter mask when I vacuum, or when I'm in the basement or gardening (dust & molds)

If you know what any of your 'triggers' are, you should try to avoid them - there's a cumulative effect from different items and it all adds up.

Places that sell yoga equipment may stock them....

One can find nearly everything on Amazon these days. I used to use this one before I switched to the Sinupulse:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Secrets-Ceramic-Nasal-Cleansing/dp/B000OLEC6I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360725298&sr=8-2&keywords=neti+pot]Amazon.com: Ancient Secrets Ceramic Nasal Cleansing Pot, 1 Neti Pot: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

You can amend and toughen the sinuses, BIK, if you irrigate your entire mouth, nose, and facial area with a warm glass of water that has a tablespoon of salt stirred in until it is a clear solution. Gargle, but don't swallow. Coat all the membranes you can.

If you have a deep tub, you can take a hot salt bath by mixing half a pound of salt (which only costs about $.37 cents) in hot water and immerse everything--head, hair, the works. Soak 20 minutes and let a small stream of hot water trickle in to keep it hot enough to penetrate irritated musculature in the areas that are irritated.

The salt will soothe and calm the annoyed areas inflamed by allergens.

Some of us are just as allergic to allergy remedies as what causes them.

Salt is the great equalizer for soothing cells down until they relax and play nice. :)

.37 cents for two treatments should last a whole week. I buy cheap salt, 10 at a time if I run into a good price. You don't have to spend a fortune to control allergies. Salt also toughens skin and helps your body resist other problems, too.

Best wishes in defeating your allergies. You can win this war. :thup:

i don't know if there is a cure, but when ever i feel my sinus's going i use a mild saline spray. It always seems to work, or at least it helps. It's not going to help with the allergies, but it will keep you from getting an infection

my first suggestion is claritin. Yes it is a daily pill, but you will learn to live with that....so don't be so stubborn.

Instant relief nasal sprays are good of a temporary fix....but do NOT rely on them. All that will do is make the problem much worse.

Try breath right strips.

Try vicks vapo rub under your noise and sinus...... nasty but it really does work.

Give the netty pot a try.

Forum List

Back