For those suffering with sinus congestion

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
If I find something that works, I donā€™t mind passing on a tip that may help someone else.

I get sinus congestion from time to time and Iā€™ve tried normal saline nasal sprays, and I think Iā€™ve even tried affrin in the last, but I came across something that I think works really well.

Check out that Vicks sinex severe. For me, it helps to clear up congestion and allows me to have clear sinus passages for a long time. It says 12 hour and I believe it.

Active ingredient is Oxymetazoline HCl 0.05% (Nasal decongestant)

Maybe it might help someone who hasnā€™t tried it.

If you have and have an even better product, please share.

My Dad used to make us eat vicks vaporub when we were kids if we got colds. I can't remember if it made us better or we just pretended so we didn't have to eat anymore.

If I find something that works, I donā€™t mind passing on a tip that may help someone else.

I get sinus congestion from time to time and Iā€™ve tried normal saline nasal sprays, and I think Iā€™ve even tried affrin in the last, but I came across something that I think works really well.

Check out that Vicks sinex severe. For me, it helps to clear up congestion and allows me to have clear sinus passages for a long time. It says 12 hour and I believe it.

I think you need to find out the cause of "sinus congestion" before you decide what works and why.

I think you need to find out the cause of "sinus congestion" before you decide what works and why.
Deviated septum. Had it all my life. Had nasal surgery last year to try and correct it by cutting out some skin and fixing the turbinates. It got me about 50% improvement but I would still get blockage. Not to sound gross, but Iā€™ve always also had a lot of nasal particulate that would keep me stuffy but most of it was due to the septum.

After surgery, like I said, I had about a 50% improvement in air flow but still had low flow due to the condition combined with ā€œparticulateā€. My flow wasnā€™t what I wanted but insurance would only cover so much. Anything further was cosmetic.

I could lift up on the sides of my nose, kind of like what breathe right strips would do and that helped quite a bit. This Vicks Sinex Severe seems to open things up nicely.

After surgery, like I said, I had about a 50% improvement ....... wasnā€™t what I wanted but insurance would only cover so much. Anything further was cosmetic.
That's the tragedy right there. My wife has varicose veins in her legs but the operation for it is also considered "cosmetic".
..... This Vicks Sinex Severe seems to open things up nicely.
Considering what you wrote in the first paragraph I can see that your remedy isn't so bad after all.

When my nose is "stuffed up" I use eucalyptus menthol lozenges which are fantastic but those are only good for as long as they aren't completely dissolved and there is the risk of it getting stuck in my throat while I sleep,
eucalyptus menthol.jpg

I use azelastine hydrochloride but it requires a script. I actually seldom get snotty but have drainage issues at night where the gook will build up in the back of my throat and I will wake up strangling.

My biggest problem is really more of an allergy---specifically our cats. I had to ban them from the bedroom. That seems to have helped too. We have one cat in particular that it really hits me if he is laying on my lap or something where we are in close contact for more than a few minutes. Anyway, the doc gave me a prescription because it helps keep the drainage draining instead of globbing up.

My Dad used to make us eat vicks vaporub when we were kids if we got colds. I can't remember if it made us better or we just pretended so we didn't have to eat anymore.
Yep, it was heated in a ladle with butter. Mom always gave me a teaspoon of sugar to help the medicine go down.

Update on the sinex, it is a good SHORT TERM product, but not recommended for use more than about 3 days. After doing some reading, this product can cause what is called ā€œrebound congestionā€, which means if used more than recommended, it can actually cause your nose to become stuffy and congested.

It is a vasoconstrictor which I guess means it constricts the blood vessels in your nasal passages.

I think for daily use there is a better solution. Iā€™m hearing Flonase is possibly ok for daily use.

Just fyi and read up on whatever you take.

Forum List

Back