How to change American Politics?

My high hopes for this country are quicky dwindling.

I really dont see any way the American people are willing to fight the fight to keep democracy alive.

I hope to hell they surprize me.

They won't .. we have no courage or will for it.

We have morphed into a full-blown democracy and we have very little control of events or our own government. Obama is just more proof of how far we've fallen.

We exist in the Matrix and Americans are content with the illusions. Nobody wants the red pill.

Our children will pay for our cowardice.

There are no "simple" solutions..but here are some of my ideas..inadequate as they might be:
-Limit campaigns to three months before the election.
-Local campaigns should not be nationalized.
-Provide equally allocated media time to each candidate.
-There must be at least three debates.
-Make voting mandatory..like jury duty.
-Bring back limits on campaign contributions.
-No candidate may take a job in any industry that the candidate advocated for..for 5 years after leaving office.
-Make all campaign contributions transparent.

There are no "simple" solutions..but here are some of my ideas..inadequate as they might be:
-No candidate may take a job in any industry that the candidate advocated for..for 5 years after leaving office.

Immediate loss of office and serious prison time for violators of strict campaign finace laws.

-Limit campaigns to three months before the election.freedom of speech
-Local campaigns should not be nationalized.freedom of speech
-Provide equally allocated media time to each candidate.Free airtime would help
-There must be at least three debates.I would like this one
-Make voting mandatory..like jury duty.maybe a tax write off for a vote
-Bring back limits on campaign contributions.really low limmits and ONLY voters giving money
-No candidate may take a job in any industry that the candidate advocated for..for 5 years after leaving office.I like it

My hubby says they should have to wear suits like the car drivers do with any "sponser" name and logo.

Coorporations should NOT be giving any money to anyone.

If campaign-finance reform is such a boon for politicians, why aren't they all supporting it? Relatively few support it because it cuts off their real money.

more importantly it disempowers the monied interests who purchase elections. Can you imagine how Wall Street would respond to a Senator who suddenly wanted to deprive TPTB their ability to influence elections?

How bout we just make political parties illegal instead?

Immediate loss of office and serious prison time for violators of strict campaign finace laws.

Censure isn't a sufficiently powerful disincentive?

If campaign-finance reform is such a boon for politicians, why aren't they all supporting it? Relatively few support it because it cuts off their real money.

more importantly it disempowers the monied interests who purchase elections. Can you imagine how Wall Street would respond to a Senator who suddenly wanted to deprive TPTB their ability to influence elections?

Well said.

-No candidate may take a job igratuitouslyn any industry that the candidate advocated for..for 5 years after leaving office.
And you don't see any potential in that formula for a politicitization of the criminal justice system; such as prosecutors who are able, if they wanted to, "to indict a ham-sandwich?"

You cannot change politics in this country unless you FIRST take the money out of it.

The giant gaping hole in the concept of democracy is MONEY. He who has it, owns the government .. and that has never been more obvious than it is today under Obama.

If we don't start with serious campaign finance reform .. that comes with immediate loss of office and serious prison time, then we aren't really serious about changing politics and we might as well just sit back and enjoy our diminshed lives in the Matrix.

bullcrap. Campaign Finance reform is merely politicians doing what they can to empower themselves and keep their competition down.

You want to get money out of politics? Repeal the 17th amendment
Taking the money out of politics is not possible under our current laws. The recent ruling of the Supreme Court rejecting corporate contributions limits, opens the door for a massive inflow of money from corporate, special interest groups, and foreign entities. Since the ruling was based on the right of free speech, I doubt any limits on campaign financing would be possible.

In order to take the money out of politics, we would probably need a constitutional amendment that set spending limits, banned campaigning within xx days of an election allowing only debate between candidates. It's unlikely that Congress would pass such and amendment.

Under our current laws, politicians will be bought by corporations, special interest groups and foreign entities and there is no way to prevent it.

The 17th amendment effects only the election of Senators.

Off by a long shot. You'd need the StarGate to get to the truth from there.

Are you aware that our election system is wide-open to fraud and manipulation? Proven.

If the system can be manipulated it doesn't matter what you do with the 17th Amendment.

They did support it. With bipartisan support. It was passed into law 8 years ago. Until the court recently struck it down as unconstitutional.

Repeal the 17th amendment. Return the Senate to the states. Than people can't buy the Senate with campaign contributions.

I really dont see any way the American people are willing to fight the fight to keep democracy alive.

There are plenty of us fighting to keep the Republic alive.

Sadly, you arent one of them.

It's amazing how all the "solutions" to the problems are more government control

The 17th amendment is key to everything. The reason Federal Spending has skyrocketed is that the States no longer have a check on the Federal government and now Senators can be purchased with campaign contributions.

Restore the Senate to the states, you eliminate the drive for the government to spend money. You also prevent Senators from being bought off with campaign contributions.

With that checked in the Senate, you will likewise see the House members "Contributions" drop. Because there is no point "buying" officials when there are a bunch of people you cant buy who can stop you from benefiting.

So rather than restore the Republic to what it was designed to be. Youd rather try to force people to do what you want. Brilliant moves.

There are plenty of us fighting to keep the Republic alive.

Sadly, you arent one of them.

Democracy isn't under threat... our Republic is. It is typical truthdon'tmatter that she's fighting a war that doesn't exist.... and ignoring the real war.

1. I am 18 years old.
2. I have already signed 6 years into the USAF, and plan to stay in for at least 20, no matter what.

You are too young for so much cynicism, and the Air Force can be a great starting point, don't let it destroy the freedom to think for yourself. Military life can do that, and it can, dependent on your field make family / marital life tough as well. One brother and two nephews serve in the AF today.

Now my answers - the only things that moves us forward are great turmoil - sadly. The Great Depression and FDR created one of the fairest and most equitable societies in history until comfort became so comfortable change got too hard for the comfortable. Lincoln and the war, the Blacks in the Sixties and MLK / LBJ. These people did tough things, but America is a land of individuals and individuals often only care about individuals. You should have lots of free time, so read, and if possible volunteer in the community, life then will look quite a bit different.

PS read some history and you begin to think our corruption today is two bit - with one exception corporate power and propaganda.

Read these three guys for a POV that moves forward.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Fares-Land-Tony-Judt/dp/1594202761/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: Ill Fares the Land (9781594202766): Tony Judt: Books[/ame]

John Kenneth Galbraith's 'The Good Society' and 'The Culture of Contentment'

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Mind-Intellectual-History-Century/dp/0060084383/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century (9780060084387): Peter Watson: Books[/ame]

A couple of excellent histories:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Glory-Dream-Narrative-History-1932-1972/dp/0553345893/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Glory and the Dream: A Narrative History of America, 1932-1972 (9780553345896): William Manchester: Books[/ame]
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Communism-Archie-Brown/dp/0061138797/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Rise and Fall of Communism (9780061138799): Archie Brown: Books[/ame]

"I cannot help fearing that men may reach a point where they look on every new theory as a danger, every innovation as a toilsome trouble, every social advance as a first step toward revolution, and that they may absolutely refuse to move at all for fear of being carried off their feet. The prospect really does frighten me that they may finally become so engrossed in a cowardly love of immediate pleasures that their interest in their own future and in that of their descendants may vanish, and that they will prefer tamely to follow the course of their destiny rather than make a sudden energetic effort necessary to set things right." Alexis De Tocqueville

Last edited:
It's amazing how all the "solutions" to the problems are more government control

The 17th amendment is key to everything. The reason Federal Spending has skyrocketed is that the States no longer have a check on the Federal government and now Senators can be purchased with campaign contributions.

Restore the Senate to the states, you eliminate the drive for the government to spend money. You also prevent Senators from being bought off with campaign contributions.

With that checked in the Senate, you will likewise see the House members "Contributions" drop. Because there is no point "buying" officials when there are a bunch of people you cant buy who can stop you from benefiting.

So rather than restore the Republic to what it was designed to be. Youd rather try to force people to do what you want. Brilliant moves.
Repealing the 17th is an interesting idea that's been around a long time. With Senators being appointed by the states, there would certainly be less pressure from corporate and special interest groups. I am not sure it would reduce federal spending or just direct more funds to the states.

At any rate, it's pretty unlikely the Senators would vote themselves out of a job. Since this would push the country in a state rights direction, there would be a lot of opposition.

Repealing the 17th is an interesting idea that's been around a long time. With Senators being appointed by the states, there would certainly be less pressure from corporate and special interest groups. I am not sure it would reduce federal spending or just direct more funds to the states.

At any rate, it's pretty unlikely the Senators would vote themselves out of a job. Since this would push the country in a state rights direction, there would be a lot of opposition.

Oh, I know its not something that could happen immediately. But I think the more I talk about it, the more people will think about it. And I think it's one of the best solutions there is to fix our problems.

You cannot change politics in this country unless you FIRST take the money out of it.

The giant gaping hole in the concept of democracy is MONEY. He who has it, owns the government .. and that has never been more obvious than it is today under Obama.

If we don't start with serious campaign finance reform .. that comes with immediate loss of office and serious prison time, then we aren't really serious about changing politics and we might as well just sit back and enjoy our diminshed lives in the Matrix.

Bac my buddy, glad to see you here.

I fear you were right long ago my friend.

The Americans living in the US today do not have the backbone to save this country from the monied interests.

They instead whorship them like gods.

Thank you my friend as always.

You couldn't be more correct about the American people.

Our politicians have no backbone because we don't have any.

No offense, but I do have the will power to fight corruption, but I am not even old enough to do anything, and I am already signed away for so many years to the military. I would be willing to support someone who was willing to fight corruption, and I'd do all I can to help.

1. I am 18 years old.
2. I have already signed 6 years into the USAF, and plan to stay in for at least 20, no matter what.

You are too young for so much cynicism, and the Air Force can be a great starting point, don't let it destroy the freedom to think for yourself. Military life can do that, and it can, dependent on your field make family / marital life tough as well. One brother and two nephews serve in the AF today.

I do not see how I am cynical, I am simply being honest. The AF won't destroy my will power, it will strengthen it, by giving me a lot more self-confidence then I have now, and the ability to back it up 100%.

But in all likelyhood repealing the 17th Amendment would be a money boon for the elected members of the State Legislators. Money will still drive the selections.

Forum List

Back