How to be "brave" in Hollywood --- attack Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
We have the Da Vinci code taking swipes at Christianity. One of its actors states the Bible is fiction.

Now Madonna starts her tour off hanging on a cross....

WTF... what kind of courage does it take to attack a religion that you know won't push back? Taking pot shots at Christianity and Christians is like picking a fight with a blind kid in a wheelchair. It doesn't take any bravery or courage to show utter contempt towards our faith.

If the Hollywood bunch and Madonna really wanted to show bravery, they'd start attacking Islam. They'd start attacking the Islamofascists, and calling them bloody murderers. They'd call Muslims to task for the utter hatred many of them harbor against the Jews. They'd start speaking out against the violence and civil rights abuses many Muslim countries subject their women to. They'd start speaking out against the lack of civil liberties many Muslim countries have. Madonna and the Hollywood bunch are so compassionate, so brave, they keep telling us how they're for the little guy. Let them start with that.

And while we're at it, for the sake of fairness, let Hollywood show us how what they're made of. Let them produce a movie version of "The Satanic Verses".

I'd like to hear "Sir" Ian McKellan and others of his ilk state that Muhammad and the Koran are nothing more than fiction. In public, on TV, without hiding their identity.

I'd like Madonna to open her shows desecrating a replica of the Kaaba.

Not that I want to see Muslims offended, but just to see how long these sorry excuses for people will have to live.

I'd like to see them try the same thing Theo Van Gogh tried when he made a film exposing the abuses Muslim women must suffer. And for his bravery, he was stabbed repeated (by a band of Muslims, who else?) and a note stuck to his chest, with a dagger.

And you and I know Madonna and the Hollywood glitterati won't do any of these things because they're not stupid, and they're certainly not brave. They know that if they tried any of the things I suggested, their lives wouldn't be worth a cent.

Anyway, they're too busy congratulating each other for their bravery. The bravery they show everyday by attacking a religion that doesn't fight back and bad mouthing a government that assures them of free speech. They compare Bush to Hitler and know that they'll never spend a day in jail for it. They desecrate Christ and they desecrate the cross and have nothing to worry about.

Yeah, welcome to Hollywood, the Chicken Shit capital of the world.

P.S. And check out Madonna's website. She's riding on top of some guy with a bit in his mouth while she holds a whip.... that's a nice touch for someone who told us in no uncertain terms that she had gotten religion and was now a devout Jew....

Karl I think you're a bit paranoid and you're missing the bigger picture.

If you actually had the faith you claim you have, the last thing you would be worried about is what a few people in hollywood think about your faith.

At any rate I thought it was a decent movie...you should go see it

Powerman said:

If you actually had the faith you claim you have, the last thing you would be worried about is what a few people in hollywood think about your faith.

What a cop-out "chickenshit" answer...lol

(sigh).

I don't hold it against you. You may learn. Eventually.

Powerman said:

At any rate I thought it was a decent movie...you should go see it
Frankly Powerman, I don't give a flying fuck what a bunch of Hollywood shit-for-brains and their apologists think of my faith.

I was making an observation that the self congratulatory "brave" movie stars don't have what it takes to address real injustice. To sum my last post as succinctly as possible.... I think that the Hollywood crowd and Madonna are a bunch of puss gutted hypocrites that have no respect for anyone. Does that register?

Saying that I shouldn't feel offended at someone badmouthing my faith is like saying if I loved my mother, I wouldn't mind if someone called her a c***s*****g bitch. Of course I would, and of course, I would be offended.

There are some things worth respecting, Powerman. That's something you obviously missed.

P.S. I'm also not paranoid, I believe it's you and the other liberals on this board who are worried about the NSA and CIA, Haliburton, Bush, Cheney, Rove, Big Oil, Global Warming, drilling in ANWR, the Religious Right, Pat Robertson, the Rich, Bush's tax cuts for the rich, Cheney's Hunting Accident, Iraq, WMDs, and what the world thinks of us ..... not me.

P.P.S. I think the Bible is a decent book, I think you ought to read it.

By Peggy Noonan

I do not understand the thinking of a studio that would make, for the amusement of a nation 85% to 90% of whose people identify themselves as Christian, a major movie aimed at attacking the central tenets of that faith, and insulting as poor fools its gulled adherents. Why would Tom Hanks lend his prestige to such a film? Why would Ron Howard? They're both already rich and relevant. A desire to seem fresh and in the middle of a big national conversation? But they don't seem young, they seem immature and destructive. And ungracious. They've been given so much by their country and era, such rich rewards and adulation throughout their long careers. This was no way to say thanks.
I don't really understand why we live in an age in which we feel compelled to spoof the beliefs of the followers of the great religions. Why are we doing that? Why does Hollywood consider this progressive as opposed to primitive, like a pre-Columbian tribe attacking the tribe next door for worshiping the wrong spirits?

"The DaVinci Code" could still triumph at the box office, but it has lost its cachet, and the air of expectation that surrounded it. Its creators have not been rewarded but embarrassed. Good. They should be.

It was amazing that Tom Hanks and Ron Howard agreed to do this movie. Hanks is sitting at the top, widely admired as a sort of Everyman. In directorial terms, so is Howard. And Hank's answer when asked whether he believed that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married was worse than pathetic: "I don't know, I wasn't there."

Ian McKellan, an awesome actor, but apparently a snotty human being, says that he thinks the bible should have a warning sticker saying it was fiction. Hmmm....he can't tell the difference between the bible and Dan Brown's book. That is a problem.

There seems to be a snit factor here. They have an incredibly deep desire to tweak you. Face it: In Sum of All Fears, they changed the Muslim terrorists to Neo-Nazis. They did not want to offend Muslims. In Kingdom of Heaven, they made sure that the Christians were crude and beastly; Muslims were noble and civilized. And now, the DaVinci Code attempts to tell a lot of bald-faced lies about Christianity. Obviously, the guiding principle is not some reverent respect for religion. No, the guiding principle is opposition to our society, in particular a disdain for Christianity. That's what all three movies have in common.
In DaVinci code, they wanted to actively spread a version of history that they believe shows you "uncomfortable facts". Well, yes, we are uncomfortable with them; because they are not true. What leads Hollywood to so desperately cling to things that are not true? Why do they so obviously relish trying to tell us our central cultural core is entirely wrong?

They do not like you, America. They've been wanting to say so for a long time, and now they've gotten around to finally saying it. They don't like your religion, and they don't like your common-ness. They believe you are basically course and rough and uncivilized.
You don't deserve them.

And, boy, is that right.

http://www.penraker.com/archives/004276.html

Karl, EZ on him man. It is a movie brother. Just a movie. Come to think of it, you don't have to search very far through the archives of film to find ignorance. The thing is though I wonder if it is not good for this culture club to show it's ass once in a while for the obvious reasons.

I know for sure that when you argue with ignorance such as in this case they would love to say well...............a true movie about God and the Bible would be boring, and that noone would watch. Mel disagrees.

Your faith needs no defending!

Powerman, I know you are a Lib. Frankly I have always thought you made your points with tact and have class for the most part even though I disagree with your political agenda. Being that you do believe the things you do it strikes me as funny you would not be more apt to find commonground with folks who feel passionate about certain issues non political. I'm curious, do you believe and know in your heart that Jesus Christ is your savior? If not, you were given some very good advice when Karl suggested you might want to read the Bible.

Guys, it is so easy to scream loudly our personal points but if we were to channel a fraction of that energy to finding and exploring commonground we might find ourselves with alot less to disagree about.

Good night Gentlemen!

Look, I don't think any Christians feel shaken in their faith by some stupid book or movie. The problem we're having is that sooooooo many people are stupid enough to think it's all true, and nobody involved in either the book or the movie seems to be taking any steps to dispelling that.

Hobbit said:
Look, I don't think any Christians feel shaken in their faith by some stupid book or movie. The problem we're having is that sooooooo many people are stupid enough to think it's all true, and nobody involved in either the book or the movie seems to be taking any steps to dispelling that.

That's a good point. I'm not religious so in a sense I'm neutral but when I read the HB,HG book it was first with a sense of open-mindedness and curiousity and I learned a few things from it. For instance I think it was in that book that I first learned about the Albigensians. But as the book got further into its main thesis my bullshit detector kept going off. Eventually the speculation was too trying and I read the rest of it in a fairly cynical frame of mind. They were working too hard to reach a preconceived conclusion and stretching the evidence to fit that conclusion. So eventually I dismissed their ideas and tossed the book out (unusual for me, I hoard books).

The theology of the Roman Catholic church is difficult and intricate. But it's extremely well thought out. It has a couple of thousand years of development behind it and the thinking of some extremely erudite people to help it along. Small wonder that when someone comes along with a crude, fundamentalist explanation of the teachings in The Bible that people run from the difficult stuff to the easy stuff. It's the difference between haute cuisine and fast food.

The Da Vinci Code sounds like it won't confuse anyone comfortable with the difficult theology of the Roman Catholic church. It does though sound like it will attract the gullible, those who want the "drive-thru" version of Christianity.

LOLsome!

"Someone wrote a book I don't like--WE'RE BEING ATTACKED BY COWARDS!!!"

"Some low talent nit-wit with a big-label recording deal is hanging on a smbol of my religion--WE'RE BEING ATTACKED BY COWARDS!!!"

"Someone questions my opinions that are supported by nothing but my feelings--WE'RE BEING ATTACKED BY COWARDS!!!"

Hobbit said:
The truth hre is that nobody is making sensible steps a dispelling those beliefs--the hysterical, and irrational attempts only manage to suport the conviction of the opposing belief.

KarlMarx said:
WTF... what kind of courage does it take to attack a religion that you know won't push back? Taking pot shots at Christianity and Christians is like picking a fight with a blind kid in a wheelchair. It doesn't take any bravery or courage to show utter contempt towards our faith.

IMO, this is absolutely wrong. I would never advocate that Christians fight back with physical force, like the Muslims do. But Christians should always be prepared to give an answer about the faith that we have, and why we have it. As Christians, we should be prepared to rebut verbal attacks, using our faith, or logical arguments, or with the Word itself, as the situation calls for. I refuse to just let people badmouth my faith and stand idly by.

LOki said:
LOLsome!
"Someone wrote a book I don't like--WE'RE BEING ATTACKED BY COWARDS!!!"
"Some low talent nit-wit with a big-label recording deal is hanging on a smbol of my religion--WE'RE BEING ATTACKED BY COWARDS!!!"
"Someone questions my opinions that are supported by nothing but my feelings--WE'RE BEING ATTACKED BY COWARDS!!!"
The truth hre is that nobody is making sensible steps a dispelling those beliefs--the hysterical, and irrational attempts only manage to suport the conviction of the opposing belief.

is your point that the Hollywood intellectuals are brave in making fun of Christianity?

is your point that they will soon step forward and make fun of the Muslim faith and then possibly the scientology faith, you know be fair and balanced in their attack of religion?

I think not.

You see Hollywood types are cowards by their choice in profession. They do not take risks where it may cost them a roll, or an Oscar…..they consistently make the safe choice….or better yet the choice their own group thinks is safe….they have a lemming mentality….they embrace fads that will cost them nothing….at the moment that fad is making fun of Christianity……they would never attack the Muslim faith….it could get them killed and that would cut into their time on the veranda at the Beverly Hills Hotel.....while they wait to be invited to a party where they get free shit for being a prick.

manu1959 said:
is your point that the Hollywood intellectuals are brave in making fun of Christianity?

is your point that they will soon step forward and make fun of the Muslim faith and then possibly the scientology faith, you know be fair and balanced in their attack of religion?

I think not.
And you'd be right.

Dr Grump said:
Da Vinci code is a book...why people are getting het about it is beyond me. A good rollicking yarn that may have an edge of truth to it...then again, maybe not..
OK, let's write a book entitled "Big Ugly ******* who rape White Women"....

or "The Flaming Faggot --- adventures in hair dressing, group sex and cruising for young boys"

It will all be fiction of course, so no one should be offended.

KarlMarx said:
Frankly Powerman, I don't give a flying fuck what a bunch of Hollywood shit-for-brains and their apologists think of my faith.

You cared enough to start a thread about it didn't you?

Yeah I agree. People from Hollywood are in general terrible people.

But if they want to criticize your faith why is it a big deal?

I can't imagine a scenario where I would truly believe something and then get bent out of shape when someone, more importantly someone whose opinion I don't respect in the first place starts criticizing it.

Emmett said:
Powerman, I know you are a Lib. Frankly I have always thought you made your points with tact and have class for the most part even though I disagree with your political agenda.

Wow.

That's mighty stupid of you.

How anyone could ever think I'm a liberal is beyond all comprehension.

You must have me confused with something else.

Try reading anything I've posted on the politics section recently and get back to me with your theory about me being a liberal

Powerman said:

I can't imagine a scenario where I would truly believe something and then get bent out of shape when someone, more importantly someone whose opinion I don't respect in the first place starts criticizing it.

It's not only the movie---it's a general trend of secularists ( and others) to reduce the influence Christianity in America. It's a good thing Christians don't riot and kill people like muslims don't ya think?

Powerman said:

Hey... these just movies, too "Triumph of the Will" and "The Eternal Jew",

Mass Media affects the way people think.. eventually they believe it to be truth... a lie told often enough is soon taken as the truth

First they came...
by Martin Niemöller

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Maybe this will cause Christians and the Church to start speaking out against this crap and pushing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back