Michael's World

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Hobbit, May 24, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I have here today's (May 24) edition of BreakPoint, a quick column/radio spot discussing news from a Christian perspective. I get it by e-mail, so no link, though I'm sure it's out there somewhere. The writer/speaker is Charles Coleson, one of the bigwigs from the Nixon administration that went to jail, where he found God and later started a prison minstry.

2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I love Colson.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Is it Groundhog Day already?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sometimes death is better than life. As for this case, I can't really comment because I didn't know Terry Schiavo's wishes (and of course they were somehow distorted when the husband argued with her family). But for people who make it clear that they'd rather die than live in a comatose state or any other state that involves suffering, I think it's our duty to comply with their demands. People like Jack Kavorkian (spelling?) should not be imprisoned. Euthanasia is humane.

When final wishes are shrouded in mystery (as was the case in the Terry Schiavo situation), we should not let her die until we can conclusively prove that that was what she would've wanted. For some reason, I felt like there was another motive that the husband wouldn't share with us.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Me agreeing with you (mostly)? Is this the Twilight Zone or something? Now, I'm against euthenasia, but I can agree to disagree, except about Kavorkian. Even if you agree with euthenasia, when he did it, it wasn't the patient's choise, it was his.

Everything else in there was spot on. If she really did want to die, then so be it. I can accept that. However, the issue didn't come up until Shiavo met a pro-euthenasia lawyer, who he spent much of his wife's health care lawsuit money on. And the family disbelieved him. They even offered to take her off his hands and pay for the whole thing, but he didn't so much as let an independant doctor look at her until after she was dead. Something still smells fishy.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Did the "Living Will" idea get off the ground anywhere?