How to be "brave" in Hollywood --- attack Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by KarlMarx, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    We have the Da Vinci code taking swipes at Christianity. One of its actors states the Bible is fiction.

Now Madonna starts her tour off hanging on a cross....

WTF... what kind of courage does it take to attack a religion that you know won't push back? Taking pot shots at Christianity and Christians is like picking a fight with a blind kid in a wheelchair. It doesn't take any bravery or courage to show utter contempt towards our faith.

If the Hollywood bunch and Madonna really wanted to show bravery, they'd start attacking Islam. They'd start attacking the Islamofascists, and calling them bloody murderers. They'd call Muslims to task for the utter hatred many of them harbor against the Jews. They'd start speaking out against the violence and civil rights abuses many Muslim countries subject their women to. They'd start speaking out against the lack of civil liberties many Muslim countries have. Madonna and the Hollywood bunch are so compassionate, so brave, they keep telling us how they're for the little guy. Let them start with that.

And while we're at it, for the sake of fairness, let Hollywood show us how what they're made of. Let them produce a movie version of "The Satanic Verses".

I'd like to hear "Sir" Ian McKellan and others of his ilk state that Muhammad and the Koran are nothing more than fiction. In public, on TV, without hiding their identity.

I'd like Madonna to open her shows desecrating a replica of the Kaaba.

Not that I want to see Muslims offended, but just to see how long these sorry excuses for people will have to live.

I'd like to see them try the same thing Theo Van Gogh tried when he made a film exposing the abuses Muslim women must suffer. And for his bravery, he was stabbed repeated (by a band of Muslims, who else?) and a note stuck to his chest, with a dagger.

And you and I know Madonna and the Hollywood glitterati won't do any of these things because they're not stupid, and they're certainly not brave. They know that if they tried any of the things I suggested, their lives wouldn't be worth a cent.

Anyway, they're too busy congratulating each other for their bravery. The bravery they show everyday by attacking a religion that doesn't fight back and bad mouthing a government that assures them of free speech. They compare Bush to Hitler and know that they'll never spend a day in jail for it. They desecrate Christ and they desecrate the cross and have nothing to worry about.

Yeah, welcome to Hollywood, the Chicken Shit capital of the world.

P.S. And check out Madonna's website. She's riding on top of some guy with a bit in his mouth while she holds a whip.... that's a nice touch for someone who told us in no uncertain terms that she had gotten religion and was now a devout Jew....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  2. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Hollywierd is the Devil's playground and Madonna is the Devil's bitch. :dev1:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Karl I think you're a bit paranoid and you're missing the bigger picture.

If you actually had the faith you claim you have, the last thing you would be worried about is what a few people in hollywood think about your faith.

At any rate I thought it was a decent movie...you should go see it

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    What a cop-out "chickenshit" answer...lol

(sigh).

I don't hold it against you. You may learn. Eventually.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Frankly Powerman, I don't give a flying fuck what a bunch of Hollywood shit-for-brains and their apologists think of my faith.

I was making an observation that the self congratulatory "brave" movie stars don't have what it takes to address real injustice. To sum my last post as succinctly as possible.... I think that the Hollywood crowd and Madonna are a bunch of puss gutted hypocrites that have no respect for anyone. Does that register?

Saying that I shouldn't feel offended at someone badmouthing my faith is like saying if I loved my mother, I wouldn't mind if someone called her a c***s*****g bitch. Of course I would, and of course, I would be offended.

There are some things worth respecting, Powerman. That's something you obviously missed.

P.S. I'm also not paranoid, I believe it's you and the other liberals on this board who are worried about the NSA and CIA, Haliburton, Bush, Cheney, Rove, Big Oil, Global Warming, drilling in ANWR, the Religious Right, Pat Robertson, the Rich, Bush's tax cuts for the rich, Cheney's Hunting Accident, Iraq, WMDs, and what the world thinks of us ..... not me.

P.P.S. I think the Bible is a decent book, I think you ought to read it.

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    By Peggy Noonan

http://www.penraker.com/archives/004276.html

7. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    Da Vinci code is a book...why people are getting het about it is beyond me. A good rollicking yarn that may have an edge of truth to it...then again, maybe not..

8. Emmett

Emmett Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Karl, EZ on him man. It is a movie brother. Just a movie. Come to think of it, you don't have to search very far through the archives of film to find ignorance. The thing is though I wonder if it is not good for this culture club to show it's ass once in a while for the obvious reasons.

I know for sure that when you argue with ignorance such as in this case they would love to say well...............a true movie about God and the Bible would be boring, and that noone would watch. Mel disagrees.

Your faith needs no defending!

Powerman, I know you are a Lib. Frankly I have always thought you made your points with tact and have class for the most part even though I disagree with your political agenda. Being that you do believe the things you do it strikes me as funny you would not be more apt to find commonground with folks who feel passionate about certain issues non political. I'm curious, do you believe and know in your heart that Jesus Christ is your savior? If not, you were given some very good advice when Karl suggested you might want to read the Bible.

Guys, it is so easy to scream loudly our personal points but if we were to channel a fraction of that energy to finding and exploring commonground we might find ourselves with alot less to disagree about.

Good night Gentlemen!

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Look, I don't think any Christians feel shaken in their faith by some stupid book or movie. The problem we're having is that sooooooo many people are stupid enough to think it's all true, and nobody involved in either the book or the movie seems to be taking any steps to dispelling that.

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    That's a good point. I'm not religious so in a sense I'm neutral but when I read the HB,HG book it was first with a sense of open-mindedness and curiousity and I learned a few things from it. For instance I think it was in that book that I first learned about the Albigensians. But as the book got further into its main thesis my bullshit detector kept going off. Eventually the speculation was too trying and I read the rest of it in a fairly cynical frame of mind. They were working too hard to reach a preconceived conclusion and stretching the evidence to fit that conclusion. So eventually I dismissed their ideas and tossed the book out (unusual for me, I hoard books).

The theology of the Roman Catholic church is difficult and intricate. But it's extremely well thought out. It has a couple of thousand years of development behind it and the thinking of some extremely erudite people to help it along. Small wonder that when someone comes along with a crude, fundamentalist explanation of the teachings in The Bible that people run from the difficult stuff to the easy stuff. It's the difference between haute cuisine and fast food.

The Da Vinci Code sounds like it won't confuse anyone comfortable with the difficult theology of the Roman Catholic church. It does though sound like it will attract the gullible, those who want the "drive-thru" version of Christianity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.