How To Achieve Single Payer Health Care

I wish the Republicans would offer something. I'm more in the governmental single payer camp but what you posted looks like it could be viable and at the very least we could have an actual debate about ideas rather than just shitting on the other guy, like the post above mine.

Perhaps if you tried actually LOOKING to see what the GOP is offering, rather than just taking the media's word that there isn't anything, you might be a bit more informed and the debate could take place.
The gop is offering something other than health care savings accts?

The GOP has offered lots of suggestions, from various groups within the party. Some common themes are tax breaks to incentive the uninsured to get insured, allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines to increase competition and choice, the HSAs you mention (which I find pretty amazing, just FYI; I love mine), creation of high risk pools within states, Association Health Plans to allow those who do not currently qualify for the good group rates large employers can get to purchase insurance as a group . . . Here's a link to just one plan, which I am neither endorsing nor rejecting; just showing you that the GOP has offered alternatives:

https://abetterway.speaker.gov/_assets/pdf/ABetterWay-HealthCare-PolicyPaper.pdf
That's a paper. Which I've posted on this forum before, by the way.

It isn't legislation.

Also, I mentioned early on in this topic that "allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines" is a hoax. It does not mean you would be able to pick up the phone and call any insurance company in the country like you can with auto/home/life insurance.

How old was Moses when he died?
Moses was insured by the left wing dictator Yahweh.

When Social Security was enacted in 1935, average life expectancy in the US was 60.

The life expectancy for white people in 1790 was 36.

When Social Security was enacted in 1935

planet Earth was not yet in the "overpopulated" category.

It is now....

Seriously, every time the LEFT wants to spend YOUR MONEY, they also want to STEAL YOUR MONEY....

It is now....

Seriously, every time the LEFT wants to spend YOUR MONEY, they also want to STEAL YOUR MONEY....
I guess the Republicans should have done something to stop that from happening, eh?

Too bad for all of us they were too lazy, too stupid, and too cowardly to do so.

ONE HR mgr at GM and she speaks for ALL HR mgrs and frankly all people?
So why don't we have JUST ONE automaker in the country, i.e. the Federal Government?
Poking fun of companies that make a profit is just ludicrous coming from her as a "top" HR Manager for GM!
Really? Let's take away GM's government assistance ok?
The final direct cost to the Treasury of the GM bailout was $11-12 billion ($10.5 billion for General Motors and $1.5 billion for former GM financing GMAC, now known as Ally)
General Motors Chapter 11 reorganization - Wikipedia
Really?

Nope.

That is not particularly my field of expertise, is it yours?

If you don't like that truth, you are free to find your own. I'm sorry if it bothers you.

If you don't' think one of the major costs that was holding back companies in the US competing with their foreign peers, you are welcome to posit something else.

Why do YOU think the American car companies needed the bailout in the first place? You are sore at them, saying oh, let's take away those car companies government assistance, you can't believe what someone from GM says, b/c that whole company needed a government bailout. . .

Well, DUH?! Why do you think that is?

B/C the foreign car companies it was competing with had all of their employees health care covered by the foreign tax payers, while our banks, tech companies and manufacturers all have to cover the health care of OUR employees, companies overseas don't.

That puts our companies at a significant disadvantage. That is all any half way educated HR person will tell you.

Competitive Disadvantage: Health Care Costs Spell Trouble for U.S. Companies

U.S. Health Care's Competitive Disadvantage

And of course, the ruling elite that make policy for the US. .

Healthcare Costs and U.S. Competitiveness

Yes actually my field of expertise IS health care! Why do you think I provided links and you didn't? I provided the sources of NOT my IDEAS but other experts that depend
on studies, economics, etc. to comprehend the issue.
There are major issues for sure and I've identified one that the actual medical community is trying to telling uneducated people that exists...known as "defensive medicine"!
And the reason 90% of responding physicians per the Jackson Health study showed practice wasteful duplicate spending is fear of lawsuits.

You never addressed that issue which affects both private and group insurance costs...defensive medicine waste.

Why are you ignoring the over $500 to $800 billion a year estimated by these physicians that are wasted due to fear of lawsuits?
You totally ignored the empirical fact that of those doctors responding to the "Defensive medicine" issue less than 50% that WERE FEDERAL physicians said they didn't practice
defensive medicine and the major reason? 1946 Federal Tort Reform Act! 1946!
So if doctors under Federal contract CAN"T be sued, they don't waste money on duplicate tests, etc. which for the vast majority of patients IS a waste!

But you never addressed that!
How can you say lawsuits are wasted, when death by doctor is one of the leading causes of death in the USA? What we need is not only a more cost effective system but one that emphasizes curing the patient, rather than making TRILLIONS of dollars ripping off the patient, and then killing the patient.

Infographic-Firearms-vs-Doctors-Drugs-600.jpg

Wow what a novel way of solving the problem. Why not arrest all the doctors?
Then what?
Of course you never mentioned the millions of LIVES saved by these same ignorant doctors.
Plus what made up the "outpatient" deaths? What does that mean?
I bet you are a lawyer or have a lawyer as a relative.

Strange how with all the deaths attributed to the ignorant doctors, you forget to recognize that the life span of Americans today is 78
versus when I was born in the 40s it was 60 years.

Please explain why there are more than 72,197 people over 100 year olds today than there were in 1950 only 2,300.

Please explain how with killing off so many people these doctors are keeping people alive longer?
http://www.genealogyintime.com/GenealogyResources/Articles/how_many_people_live_to_100_page1.html
Nice deflection.

Do you deny doctors are responsible for thousands of deaths in America? ...and YOU want doctors protected from legal action. WTF!

Of course I don't deny doctors are responsible. Only a fool would say otherwise.
But of courses FOOLS like you think you can take care of yourself. Do your own MRI... by the way the machine costs over $1m! You gotta million?
Plus being the FOOL you are you take rare situations such as you have pointed out and make it sound like it happens to everyone!
FOOL!
  • Number of visits: 990.8 million FastStats
  • and you get excited over 0.00079% deaths.!
And as far as I want doctors protected? GEEZ you really need to get some help in reading comprehension!
HERE Let me state what I've shown before!
DO you understand what "Limits of non-economic damages" Mean? It means idiots like you that spill coffee on yourself in the doctor's office CAN't be paid millions in "pain and suffering"...!

tortreforms.png

It is now....

I guess the Republicans should have done something to stop that from happening, eh?

Too bad for all of us they were too lazy, too stupid, and too cowardly to do so.

I actually do support one "tax hike," or a closure of a tax "loophole."

Right now, Uncle Sam subsidizes as many kids as you can make.

Change that to

1. first two kids are subsidized as before
2. third kid is not but the first two still are
3. have a fourth kid and you wipe out your subsidy for the first two and you get NOTHING
4. if you cannot pay for your 4 kids, you get STERILIZED

Please don't get ahead of me and think you know where I am going and what I desire.

So I guess I should state up front what I desire. :)

I believe you should be buying your health insurance the same way you buy your auto, home, and life insurance. You should be able to pick up the phone and call any insurance company in the country and haggle for what you want. If you don't like what they are offering, you can hang up and call another company.

This would provide you with the maximum freedom and, more importantly, the maximum bargaining leverage.

Instead, you are hostage to whatever your employer offers you, if you are lucky enough to have an employer who offers health insurance.

In turn, your employer is hostage to whatever insurance companies are allowed to sell them insurance in their geographical area.

In turn, the insurance companies are hostage to whatever health care providers are allowed to operate in their geographical region.

The whole system is a mess, thanks to government interference in the market.

The government is the biggest player in the health insurance market, and gets to write the rules for its private sector competitors!

How's that been working for ya?

If you were able to buy your health insurance the same way you buy auto, home, and life insurance, you would get long time customer discounts, and bundle discounts, and all the other discounts you enjoy from those other forms of insurance.

As it is now, every time you change your job you start all over from scratch.

Bogus.

But...the Republican Party has demonstrated they have absolutely no intention of ever putting a plan on the table which will provide you maximum freedom, maximum leverage, and lower costs.

The Republican Party has totally abdicated their role in solving our health care problems. To distract you from this fact, they attack the other guys' plans. They cast blame rather than do the hard work. They are critics rather than problem solvers. Whiners rather than helpers.

So what good are they?

Oh, by the way. When Republicans talk about buying health insurance "across state lines", they are being very misleading. They are not talking about being able to buy health insurance from any company in the country.

Thought you should know that.

The road to serfdom, next post.

How about you explain how any government can pay for your dream.

Please don't get ahead of me and think you know where I am going and what I desire.

I believe you should be buying your health insurance the same way you buy your auto, home, and life insurance. You should be able to pick up the phone and call any insurance company in the country and haggle for what you want. If you don't like what they are offering, you can hang up and call another company.

This would provide you with the maximum freedom and, more importantly, the maximum bargaining leverage.

Instead, you are hostage to whatever your employer offers you, if you are lucky enough to have an employer who offers health insurance.

In turn, your employer is hostage to whatever insurance companies are allowed to sell them insurance in their geographical area.

In turn, the insurance companies are hostage to whatever health care providers are allowed to operate in their geographical region.

The government is the biggest player in the health insurance market, and gets to write the rules for its private sector competitors!

If you were able to buy your health insurance the same way you buy auto, home, and life insurance, you would get long time customer discounts, and bundle discounts, and all the other discounts you enjoy from those other forms of insurance.

Bogus.

But...the Republican Party has demonstrated they have absolutely no intention of ever putting a plan on the table which will provide you maximum freedom, maximum leverage, and lower costs.

The Republican Party has totally abdicated their role in solving our health care problems. To distract you from this fact, they attack the other guys' plans. They cast blame rather than do the hard work. They are critics rather than problem solvers. Whiners rather than helpers.

So what good are they?

Oh, by the way. When Republicans talk about buying health insurance "across state lines", they are being very misleading. They are not talking about being able to buy health insurance from any company in the country.

My dream would not require the government to pay for it. In fact, we would have much less government involvement in health care.

Maybe you should read my OP again.

I wish the Republicans would offer something. I'm more in the governmental single payer camp but what you posted looks like it could be viable and at the very least we could have an actual debate about ideas rather than just shitting on the other guy, like the post above mine.

Perhaps if you tried actually LOOKING to see what the GOP is offering, rather than just taking the media's word that there isn't anything, you might be a bit more informed and the debate could take place.

The GOP has offered lots of suggestions, from various groups within the party. Some common themes are tax breaks to incentive the uninsured to get insured, allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines to increase competition and choice, the HSAs you mention (which I find pretty amazing, just FYI; I love mine), creation of high risk pools within states, Association Health Plans to allow those who do not currently qualify for the good group rates large employers can get to purchase insurance as a group . . . Here's a link to just one plan, which I am neither endorsing nor rejecting; just showing you that the GOP has offered alternatives:

https://abetterway.speaker.gov/_assets/pdf/ABetterWay-HealthCare-PolicyPaper.pdf

It isn't legislation.

Also, I mentioned early on in this topic that "allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines" is a hoax. It does not mean you would be able to pick up the phone and call any insurance company in the country like you can with auto/home/life insurance.

" call any insurance company in the country like you can with auto/home/life insurance"

Tell me, why do agents have to be licensed in ANY State before they can sell in that State? Why do Insurance Companies have to register in EVEY State BEFORE they can business there?

It isn't legislation.

" call any insurance company in the country like you can with auto/home/life insurance"

Tell me, why do agents have to be licensed in ANY State before they can sell in that State? Why do Insurance Companies have to register in EVEY State BEFORE they can business there?

Allegedly, it's for consumer protection.

It isn't legislation.

States rights?

It isn't legislation.

Allegedly, it's for consumer protection.

Because the Laws in every State are different, for both required coverages and Agent regulations. The point is you can't get coverage from NY for Ca. G again has no idea as to what he is talking about. I am licensed in both Life and Health and Property ad Casualty.

Nope.

That is not particularly my field of expertise, is it yours?

If you don't like that truth, you are free to find your own. I'm sorry if it bothers you.

If you don't' think one of the major costs that was holding back companies in the US competing with their foreign peers, you are welcome to posit something else.

Why do YOU think the American car companies needed the bailout in the first place? You are sore at them, saying oh, let's take away those car companies government assistance, you can't believe what someone from GM says, b/c that whole company needed a government bailout. . .

Well, DUH?! Why do you think that is?

B/C the foreign car companies it was competing with had all of their employees health care covered by the foreign tax payers, while our banks, tech companies and manufacturers all have to cover the health care of OUR employees, companies overseas don't.

That puts our companies at a significant disadvantage. That is all any half way educated HR person will tell you.

Competitive Disadvantage: Health Care Costs Spell Trouble for U.S. Companies

U.S. Health Care's Competitive Disadvantage

And of course, the ruling elite that make policy for the US. .

Healthcare Costs and U.S. Competitiveness

Yes actually my field of expertise IS health care! Why do you think I provided links and you didn't? I provided the sources of NOT my IDEAS but other experts that depend
on studies, economics, etc. to comprehend the issue.
There are major issues for sure and I've identified one that the actual medical community is trying to telling uneducated people that exists...known as "defensive medicine"!
And the reason 90% of responding physicians per the Jackson Health study showed practice wasteful duplicate spending is fear of lawsuits.

You never addressed that issue which affects both private and group insurance costs...defensive medicine waste.

Why are you ignoring the over $500 to $800 billion a year estimated by these physicians that are wasted due to fear of lawsuits?
You totally ignored the empirical fact that of those doctors responding to the "Defensive medicine" issue less than 50% that WERE FEDERAL physicians said they didn't practice
defensive medicine and the major reason? 1946 Federal Tort Reform Act! 1946!
So if doctors under Federal contract CAN"T be sued, they don't waste money on duplicate tests, etc. which for the vast majority of patients IS a waste!

But you never addressed that!
How can you say lawsuits are wasted, when death by doctor is one of the leading causes of death in the USA? What we need is not only a more cost effective system but one that emphasizes curing the patient, rather than making TRILLIONS of dollars ripping off the patient, and then killing the patient.

Infographic-Firearms-vs-Doctors-Drugs-600.jpg

Wow what a novel way of solving the problem. Why not arrest all the doctors?
Then what?
Of course you never mentioned the millions of LIVES saved by these same ignorant doctors.
Plus what made up the "outpatient" deaths? What does that mean?
I bet you are a lawyer or have a lawyer as a relative.

Strange how with all the deaths attributed to the ignorant doctors, you forget to recognize that the life span of Americans today is 78
versus when I was born in the 40s it was 60 years.

Please explain why there are more than 72,197 people over 100 year olds today than there were in 1950 only 2,300.

Please explain how with killing off so many people these doctors are keeping people alive longer?
http://www.genealogyintime.com/GenealogyResources/Articles/how_many_people_live_to_100_page1.html
Nice deflection.

Do you deny doctors are responsible for thousands of deaths in America? ...and YOU want doctors protected from legal action. WTF!

Of course I don't deny doctors are responsible. Only a fool would say otherwise.
But of courses FOOLS like you think you can take care of yourself. Do your own MRI... by the way the machine costs over $1m! You gotta million?
Plus being the FOOL you are you take rare situations such as you have pointed out and make it sound like it happens to everyone!
FOOL!
  • Number of visits: 990.8 million FastStats
  • and you get excited over 0.00079% deaths.!
And as far as I want doctors protected? GEEZ you really need to get some help in reading comprehension!
HERE Let me state what I've shown before!
DO you understand what "Limits of non-economic damages" Mean? It means idiots like you that spill coffee on yourself in the doctor's office CAN't be paid millions in "pain and suffering"...!

View attachment 194191
Wow! Find one post in the thousands I have composed on this forum, that comes even remotely close to your conclusions?

Bogus.

So what good are they?

My dream would not require the government to pay for it. In fact, we would have much less government involvement in health care.

Not really. You only complained about the repubs, ignoring the fact that the current abomination we are suffering under is a Democrat construct. I agree that single payer is a nice fantasy, but that is all it is. No country on the planet can afford it. California wanted to implement it but found out really quick that single payer would cost twice what their entire government costs now, to run.

Single payer is a pipe dream. A nice pipe dream, but a dream none the less.

Instead it would be better to implement health plans that work for the clients, and not for the health insurance companies that run them. If you were to pass a law that all health insurance companies had to be non profits. And they had to compete across state lines, that would lower costs. Further you would have to implement a loser pays tort reform. Do that, and the cost of health care would drop with no loss of quality.

Bogus.

So what good are they?

Not really. You only complained about the repubs, ignoring the fact that the current abomination we are suffering under is a Democrat construct. I agree that single payer is a nice fantasy, but that is all it is. No country on the planet can afford it. California wanted to implement it but found out really quick that single payer would cost twice what their entire government costs now, to run.

Instead it would be better to implement health plans that work for the clients, and not for the health insurance companies that run them. If you were to pass a law that all health insurance companies had to be non profits. And they had to compete across state lines, that would lower costs. Further you would have to implement a loser pays tort reform. Do that, and the cost of health care would drop with no loss of quality.

So a "non profit" can lose millions a year and stay in business.

Bogus.

So what good are they?

I agree that single payer is a nice fantasy, but that is all it is. No country on the planet can afford it.

Not entirely true.

If you are happy with everyone focused on prevention, cures and nutrition; having the government take over the entire system, and removing the profit motive so that everyone has just the basics. . . .

:abgg2q.jpg:

NEJM - Error

Bogus.

So what good are they?

I agree. Though, I don't think they want to fix it. Just like the leftist politicians, the Republicans want the government to have more power, so it's their goal not to actually solve any problems.

Bogus.

So what good are they?

How could you possibly think corporate greed has nothing to do with our shitty healthcare system?

Bogus.

So what good are they?

How could you possibly think corporate greed has nothing to do with our shitty healthcare system?
Because without mommy government to protect them, corporate greed is what drives prices down. In fact, government involvement is entirely the problem with our current system, because they're further shrinking the competition pool every time they do anything.

Forum List

Back