How To Achieve Single Payer Health Care

Please don't get ahead of me and think you know where I am going and what I desire.

So I guess I should state up front what I desire. :)

I believe you should be buying your health insurance the same way you buy your auto, home, and life insurance. You should be able to pick up the phone and call any insurance company in the country and haggle for what you want. If you don't like what they are offering, you can hang up and call another company.

This would provide you with the maximum freedom and, more importantly, the maximum bargaining leverage.

Instead, you are hostage to whatever your employer offers you, if you are lucky enough to have an employer who offers health insurance.

In turn, your employer is hostage to whatever insurance companies are allowed to sell them insurance in their geographical area.

In turn, the insurance companies are hostage to whatever health care providers are allowed to operate in their geographical region.

The whole system is a mess, thanks to government interference in the market.

The government is the biggest player in the health insurance market, and gets to write the rules for its private sector competitors!

How's that been working for ya?

If you were able to buy your health insurance the same way you buy auto, home, and life insurance, you would get long time customer discounts, and bundle discounts, and all the other discounts you enjoy from those other forms of insurance.

As it is now, every time you change your job you start all over from scratch.

Bogus.

But...the Republican Party has demonstrated they have absolutely no intention of ever putting a plan on the table which will provide you maximum freedom, maximum leverage, and lower costs.

The Republican Party has totally abdicated their role in solving our health care problems. To distract you from this fact, they attack the other guys' plans. They cast blame rather than do the hard work. They are critics rather than problem solvers. Whiners rather than helpers.

So what good are they?

Oh, by the way. When Republicans talk about buying health insurance "across state lines", they are being very misleading. They are not talking about being able to buy health insurance from any company in the country.

Thought you should know that.

The road to serfdom, next post.
How could you possibly think corporate greed has nothing to do with our shitty healthcare system?
Because without mommy government to protect them, corporate greed is what drives prices down. In fact, government involvement is entirely the problem with our current system, because they're further shrinking the competition pool every time they do anything.
So what is the specific, direct connection between government and high deductibles/drug prices?

Please don't get ahead of me and think you know where I am going and what I desire.

I believe you should be buying your health insurance the same way you buy your auto, home, and life insurance. You should be able to pick up the phone and call any insurance company in the country and haggle for what you want. If you don't like what they are offering, you can hang up and call another company.

This would provide you with the maximum freedom and, more importantly, the maximum bargaining leverage.

Instead, you are hostage to whatever your employer offers you, if you are lucky enough to have an employer who offers health insurance.

In turn, your employer is hostage to whatever insurance companies are allowed to sell them insurance in their geographical area.

In turn, the insurance companies are hostage to whatever health care providers are allowed to operate in their geographical region.

The government is the biggest player in the health insurance market, and gets to write the rules for its private sector competitors!

If you were able to buy your health insurance the same way you buy auto, home, and life insurance, you would get long time customer discounts, and bundle discounts, and all the other discounts you enjoy from those other forms of insurance.

Bogus.

But...the Republican Party has demonstrated they have absolutely no intention of ever putting a plan on the table which will provide you maximum freedom, maximum leverage, and lower costs.

The Republican Party has totally abdicated their role in solving our health care problems. To distract you from this fact, they attack the other guys' plans. They cast blame rather than do the hard work. They are critics rather than problem solvers. Whiners rather than helpers.

So what good are they?

Oh, by the way. When Republicans talk about buying health insurance "across state lines", they are being very misleading. They are not talking about being able to buy health insurance from any company in the country.

How could you possibly think corporate greed has nothing to do with our shitty healthcare system?
Because without mommy government to protect them, corporate greed is what drives prices down. In fact, government involvement is entirely the problem with our current system, because they're further shrinking the competition pool every time they do anything.
So what is the specific, direct connection between government and high deductibles/drug prices?
High insurance costs come from regulations preventing businesses from selling insurance over state lines, and setting up businesses in specific areas. The high drug prices are a result of patents and further regulations on that specific market. As Ray pointed out in the last thread I explained these things directly to you specifically:
A company has to spend 3 to 10 years to get a drug on the market in the US. During that time, it's non-stop testing and government paperwork. Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on those drugs, and some of them can't get FDA approval, so all that money was spent for nothing. To recoup that loss, they increase prices on their product that have FDA approval and are already on the market.
So, yes, it is not greed, it is the government's regulations causing prices to drastically increase. Corporate greed would simply result in lower costs, as they attempt to sell more of their product, or improving said product to bring in more consumers. Hiking prices up only results in fewer people being able to afford it, causing sales to decrease.

Bogus.

So what good are they?

High insurance costs come from regulations preventing businesses from selling insurance over state lines, and setting up businesses in specific areas. The high drug prices are a result of patents and further regulations on that specific market. As Ray pointed out in the last thread I explained these things directly to you specifically:
A company has to spend 3 to 10 years to get a drug on the market in the US. During that time, it's non-stop testing and government paperwork. Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent on those drugs, and some of them can't get FDA approval, so all that money was spent for nothing. To recoup that loss, they increase prices on their product that have FDA approval and are already on the market.
So, yes, it is not greed, it is the government's regulations causing prices to drastically increase. Corporate greed would simply result in lower costs, as they attempt to sell more of their product, or improving said product to bring in more consumers. Hiking prices up only results in fewer people being able to afford it, causing sales to decrease.
lol let me get this straight. We shouldn’t be testing these drugs to make sure they are safe? These companies are worth billions. How do you think they got that way? Trust me they can afford R&D. More importantly, once the drug is approved, the cost is still astronomical. Remember when pharma bro jacked up the price of a life saving drug by 5000%? Why exactly did he need to do that? The drug was already profitable.

Bogus.

So what good are they?

How about you explain how any government can pay for your dream.
My dream would not require the government to pay for it. In fact, we would have much less government involvement in health care.

Maybe you should read my OP again.
I think a lot of people are just reading the headline. It is a bit misleading.

Bogus.

So what good are they?

lol let me get this straight. We shouldn’t be testing these drugs to make sure they are safe? These companies are worth billions. How do you think they got that way? Trust me they can afford R&D. More importantly, once the drug is approved, the cost is still astronomical. Remember when pharma bro jacked up the price of a life saving drug by 5000%? Why exactly did he need to do that? The drug was already profitable.
No, we shouldn't be testing them. If a drug either doesn't work, or has drastic side effects, it won't be profitable, and competition would get all of their potential business. The private sector regulates itself. Besides, NOW your argument has ceased to be that the government isn't responsible, and has now gone to "WELL, THEY SHOULD BE DOING IT ANYWAY", meaning that you've acknowledged that the government is at fault, and are now trying to justify it.

The cost is still astronomical because of patents allowing businesses to price gouge, not only because the government makes starting a business extremely difficult, but because other businesses can't sell the same thing for a better price. If they could, life-saving drugs would be drastically cheaper. Someone else otherwise could have made the same drug, and charged less. At that point, they would have to compete with a lower price, make a better drug, or go out of business. In other words, even ignoring that the government causes the cost of getting a drug on the market, the government is still causing the cost to skyrocket by restricting competition. Hell, if it wasn't for the government, there may even be a cure for cancer by now.

Bogus.

So what good are they?

How about you explain how any government can pay for your dream.
My dream would not require the government to pay for it. In fact, we would have much less government involvement in health care.

Maybe you should read my OP again.
I think a lot of people are just reading the headline. It is a bit misleading.
It was probably intentional. to expose the people who dive into a thread without reading the OP.

Those of us who lived parts of the world
...we are telling you the US has the worst health system.
Can the US afford covering its citizens? Sure it can...but it decides on wasting in useless wars a d armament among other things.
I'm still shocked to hear people making payments on medical bills or going bankrupt because they did a medical procesure... just Insane.

Those of us who lived parts of the world
...we are telling you the US has the worst health system.
Can the US afford covering its citizens? Sure it can...but it decides on wasting in useless wars a d armament among other things.
I'm still shocked to hear people making payments on medical bills or going bankrupt because they did a medical procesure... just Insane.

We have to buy our own food too. It's a travesty.

Forum List

Back