In California, most home insurers ban some dog breeds.

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

As many Californians scramble to find homeowners insurance coverage amid cutbacks by major carriers, they may have a surprising variable to contend with: what kind of dog they own.

Homeowners insurance often covers dog bite liability expenses, but some insurance companies will not insure homeowners with certain types of dogs. While it is not a new practice, it is not widely advertised, and the types of dogs banned are often hidden in insurance companies’ state filings. Some states ban the practice, but California does not.

A Chronicle analysis of state insurance filings found that most major home insurers in California ban some dog breeds, most often pit bulls, rottweilers, Doberman pinschers, Akitas and chows. Those that don’t ban dogs by breed instead ask for an individual dog’s bite history.

I get it. I understand why they do it. I don’t like it, but I understand why.

To me it seems like a free market solution is for the government to allow insurance companies to exclude that liability coverage or offer it only as a separate endorsement at extra cost.....It's on you to pay-up to own a prohibited breed and to pay the freight.

Then again if you never register or license your dog, you don’t have a dog.

Sigh, at times modern homeowner problems requires an trailer park solution. ;)

As many Californians scramble to find homeowners insurance coverage amid cutbacks by major carriers, they may have a surprising variable to contend with: what kind of dog they own.

Homeowners insurance often covers dog bite liability expenses, but some insurance companies will not insure homeowners with certain types of dogs. While it is not a new practice, it is not widely advertised, and the types of dogs banned are often hidden in insurance companies’ state filings. Some states ban the practice, but California does not.

A Chronicle analysis of state insurance filings found that most major home insurers in California ban some dog breeds, most often pit bulls, rottweilers, Doberman pinschers, Akitas and chows. Those that don’t ban dogs by breed instead ask for an individual dog’s bite history.

I get it. I understand why they do it. I don’t like it, but I understand why.

To me it seems like a free market solution is for the government to allow insurance companies to exclude that liability coverage or offer it only as a separate endorsement at extra cost.....It's on you to pay-up to own a prohibited breed and to pay the freight.

Then again if you never register or license your dog, you don’t have a dog.

Sigh, at times modern homeowner problems requires an trailer park solution. ;)

People who own a junk yard in Billuxi Mississippi or Houston Texas should own a violent dog. People in "nice" communities should not own these dogs. Not states rights, city rights! A city should be able to decide.

And a insurance company can certainly say they aren't going to cover any dog bites from a dog bigger than 30 lbs.

People who own a junk yard in Billuxi Mississippi or Houston Texas should own a violent dog. People in "nice" communities should not own these dogs. Not states rights, city rights! A city should be able to decide.

And a insurance company can certainly say they aren't going to cover any dog bites from a dog bigger than 30 lbs.
Pit Bulls are widely hated and feared. My friend had two of the sweetest, well behaved and friendliest Pit Bulls you could imagine. I threw a ball for them to chase often. They were perfect pets until the day the little girl next door got off the school bus and ran to her house to show her Mommy the picture she had drawn in school. That's when both dogs jumped the fence and killed her by having a tug of war with her mangled lifeless body.

Pit Bulls are widely hated and feared. My friend had two of the sweetest, well behaved and friendliest Pit Bulls you could imagine. I threw a ball for them to chase often. They were perfect pets until the day the little girl next door got off the school bus and ran to her house to show her Mommy the picture she had drawn in school. That's when both dogs jumped the fence and killed her by having a tug of war with her mangled lifeless body.
For real? Wow! Yea my buddy has a sweet pit bull. But when it gets excited it acts like Lenny from Of Mice and Men. Doesn't know it's own strength.

I don't know why people freak out when say we need to fix every pit bull and stop making them. We made them to begin with. So just stop making them. Stop breeding them.

If there is a purpose for them, like dangerous inner cities, then keep making them. But in nice communities, we may make having them illegal.

Dictating what kind a dog you are allowed to have.

Someone set off the Fault line and just throw Cali ro the sea.

Forum List

Back