How Stuff Works: Late Term Abortions

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
While there has been plenty of reporting on the death of Dr. Tiller the abortion doctor, I don't think enough has been reported about the actual procedure itself, a late term abortion. Here's a few links to some info:

Late-term abortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A late-term abortion often refers to an induced abortion procedure that occurs after the 20th week of gestation. However, the exact point when a pregnancy becomes late-term is not clearly defined. Some sources define an abortion after 12 completed weeks' gestation as "late".[1][2] Some sources define an abortion after 16 weeks as "late".[3][4] Three articles published in 1998 in the same issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association could not agree on the definition. Two of the JAMA articles chose the 20th week of gestation to be the point where an abortion procedure would be considered late-term.[5] The third JAMA article chose the third trimester, or 27th week of gestation.[6] The point at which an abortion becomes late-term is often related to the "viability" (ability to survive outside the uterus) of the fetus. Sometimes late-term abortions are referred to as post-viability abortions. However, viability varies greatly among pregnancies. Nearly all pregnancies are viable after the 27th week, and no pregnancies are viable before the 21st week. Everything in between is a “grey area”.[6]
So it seems there are wide ranging opinions on the time frame of a late term abortion.

Here's some pics of the results of late term abortions:

Late-Term Abortions

Last edited:
Wonder how many babies get trashed in that "grey area".

While there has been plenty of reporting on the death of Dr. Tiller the abortion doctor, I don't think enough has been reported about the actual procedure itself, a late term abortion. Here's a few links to some info:

A late-term abortion often refers to an induced abortion procedure that occurs after the 20th week of gestation. However, the exact point when a pregnancy becomes late-term is not clearly defined. Some sources define an abortion after 12 completed weeks' gestation as "late".[1][2] Some sources define an abortion after 16 weeks as "late".[3][4] Three articles published in 1998 in the same issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association could not agree on the definition. Two of the JAMA articles chose the 20th week of gestation to be the point where an abortion procedure would be considered late-term.[5] The third JAMA article chose the third trimester, or 27th week of gestation.[6] The point at which an abortion becomes late-term is often related to the "viability" (ability to survive outside the uterus) of the fetus. Sometimes late-term abortions are referred to as post-viability abortions. However, viability varies greatly among pregnancies. Nearly all pregnancies are viable after the 27th week, and no pregnancies are viable before the 21st week. Everything in between is a “grey area”.[6]
So it seems there are wide ranging opinions on the time frame of a late term abortion.

Late-Term Abortions

Do you have the reasons Tiller performed these abortions? Seems no one wants to discuss that.

Late-Term Abortions

Do you have the reasons Tiller performed these abortions? Seems no one wants to discuss that.

Do you? I am willing to discuss it. May be a day or two before I can post again, though.

Since medical records are confidential there's no way of knowing. But it isn't legal in Kansas to perform later term abortions on viable fetuses and from accounts I've read the abortions performed were for heart wrenching reasons...like fused twins that had no hope of separation or a life, etc.

Since medical records are confidential there's no way of knowing. But it isn't legal in Kansas to perform later term abortions on viable fetuses and from accounts I've read the abortions performed were for heart wrenching reasons...like fused twins that had no hope of separation or a life, etc.

Isn't that covered by the Supreme Court decision from a few years ago, anyway?

Pretty much.

Which is why I don't understand the condemnation and the murder of Tiller.

vengeance?
For what? Aborting deformed hopeless future people that would be medically costly to even keep on life support?

If that was the case, I am sure the killers didn't know it was the case. as you said, the reasons for the abortions were not of public record. I am sure some of the abortions performed were deformed babies, but some probably were not.
It should be obvious to us that the murder was out of vengeance either way.

The title of this thread is:

"How Stuff Works: Late Term Abortions"

not,

"How Stuff Works: Why Women and Children Have Late Term Abortions".

I wanted to discuss and show how late term abortions work. If you want to discuss why women and children get late term abortions then by all means start another thread on that topic.

And if you would have read the Wiki link you'd have seen reasons for that listed.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back