How Poverty Is Cultivated.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
" Why, then, ’tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison."
Hamlet.

Thinking. What we humans claim we do best, and, claim, is what sets the world in order.
It doesn't.

Rational means based on or in accordance with reason or logic. Our gods.
But a similar word is far nearer to reality:
Rationalize: attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.

What ever we wish to be true, we have the gift...should I say handicap....of being able to rationalize....seems to be set with reason and logic.
Seems to.

A great mistake is to believe that society benefits from the rational rather than the moral. Slavery, as an example….rational arguments can be made in its favor: profit, easier life, due to slavery, etc.
But no moral arguments favor it.
When we claim to organize society based on the rational....we run into trouble.

What does this preamble have to do with poverty?
No one is better at explaining the relationship between rationalization and poverty than doctor and psychiatrist, Theodore Dalrymple.

1. " It was in the prison (as psychiatrist) that I first realized I should listen carefully, not only to what people said, but to the way that they said it. I noticed, for example, that murderers who had stabbed someone always said of the fatal moment that “the knife went in.”
This was an interesting locution, because it implied that it was the knife that guided the hand rather than the hand that guided the knife.

a. It is clear that this locution serves to absolve the culprit, at least in his own mind, from his responsibility for his act. It also seeks to persuade the listener that the culprit is not really guilty, that something other than his decisions led to the death of the victim.

2. The human mind is a subtle instrument, and something more than straightforward lying was going on here. The culprit both believed what he was saying and knew perfectly well at the same time that it was nonsense.
[More common, and less subtle, the SODDI defense in criminal cases: 'some other dude did it.']

a. 'This is the excellent foppery of the world: that when we are sick in fortune—often the surfeit of our own behaviour—we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon,
and the stars, a
s if we were villains on necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of planetary influence; and all that we are evil
in, by a divine thrusting on. An admirable evasion of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star!'
King Lear."
http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/file/2014_05_06_Imprimis.pdf

'I couldn't help my misbehavior.....why blame me???'

Last edited by a moderator:
" Why, then, ’tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison."

Hamlet.

Thinking. What we humans claim we do best, and, claim, is what sets the world in order.

It doesn't.

Rationalize: attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.

What ever we wish to be true, we have the gift...should I say handicap....of being able to rationalize....seems to be set with reason and logic.

Seems to.

A great mistake is to believe that society benefits from the rational rather than the moral. Slavery, as an example….rational arguments can be made in its favor: profit, easier life, due to slavery, etc.

No one is better at explaining the relationship between rationalization and poverty than doctor and psychiatrist, Theodore Dalrymple.

1. " It was in the prison (as psychiatrist) that I first realized I should listen carefully, not only to what people said, but to the way that they said it. I noticed, for example, that murderers who had stabbed someone always said of the fatal moment that “the knife went in.”

This was an interesting locution, because it implied that it was the knife that guided the hand rather than the hand that guided the knife.

a. It is clear that this locution serves to absolve the culprit, at least in his own mind, from his responsibility for his act. It also seeks to persuade the listener that the culprit is not really guilty, that something other than his decisions led to the death of the victim.

2. The human mind is a subtle instrument, and something more than straightforward lying was going on here. The culprit both believed what he was saying and knew perfectly well at the same time that it was nonsense.

[More common, and less subtle, the SODDI defense in criminal cases: 'some other dude did it.']

a. 'This is the excellent foppery of the world: that when we are sick in fortune—often the surfeit of our own behaviour—we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon,

and the stars, a
s if we were villains on necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of planetary influence; and all that we are evil

in, by a divine thrusting on. An admirable evasion of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star!'

King Lear."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaiLcwHXB4

Jesus Flippin' Christ that was a disjointed post/ thought that you had. While it could have been enlightening, it was, in fact, painful to read due to your frankensteining all the quotes together like that. You have the composition skills and aesthetic tastes of a freakin' 2 year old. You took what could have been a powerful message and completely fucked it all up.

]

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Hamlet.

It doesn't.

Seems to.

and the stars, a

King Lear."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaiLcwHXB4

Jesus Flippin' Christ that was a disjointed post/ thought that you had. While it could have been enlightening, it was, in fact, painful to read due to your frankensteining all the quotes together like that. You have the composition skills and aesthetic tastes of a freakin' 2 year old. You took what could have been a powerful message and completely fucked it all up.

]

Actually, I commiserate, and appreciate your post.

Often when I construct an OP, there are restrictions on how I do so, based on time and space.

In this case, there will be 3-4 more panels, posted during the day, and I believe you will find the totality is of a piece.

In any case, if you have the time and or interest, you might read it all at the end of the day.

And then, you might or might not change your view.

I look forward to your post.

I blame my drunkenness on no one and no thing.

Why?

Because I'm a Conservative. :beer:

Same for all those times I lived in poverty.

You know just where I'm going with this.....

You cut it off at the knees.

But....I shall continue.

How Poverty Is Cultivated.

Ingredients

1- Corrupt demagogue politicians

2- Citizens who lack motivation and hate the work ethic, the parasites

3- A Federal Reserve Board - staff it with folks who love to inflate the currency and love paper money. Make sure that the board is not audited

3- Promise the parasites that by voting for the right candidate they will be fed, insured and their thirst quenched

4- Create a lot of welfare type programs and make sure that the parasites become addicted to the same

5- Create government schools , teach them that forcing taxpayers to support the parasites is copacetic

Poverty is cultivated by the willfully ignorant. And PC is a first class cultivator in that regard.

Let us continue our journey toward your education....

So, it seems fairly common to lay blame anywhere but on ourselves. In fact, it is an indelible feature of human nature: we rationalize to soften the hard edges of reality.

... this pertains directly to addictions closely related to poverty....

3. "... an eternal and universal temptation of mankind to blame those of his misfortunes that are the natural and predict able consequence of his own choices on forces or circumstances that are external to him and outside his control..... an entire class of persons has been created that not only indulges in this tendency, but makes it their entire world outlook—and does so with official [Liberal] encouragement.

4. ...[take for] an example the case of heroin addicts.
In the 1950s, heroin addiction .... was confined to a very small number of people, principally in bohemian circles. It has since become a mass phenomenon, the numbers of addicts having increased perhaps two thousandfold,....

5. Heroin addiction has been presented by officialdom as a bona fide disease that strikes people like, shall we say, rheumatoid arthritis. In the United States, the National Institute on Drug Abuse defines addiction quite baldly as a chronic relapsing brain disease—and nothing else.
I hesitate to say it, but this seems to me straightforwardly a lie, told to willing dupes in order to raise funds from the federal government.

a. Be that as it may, the impression has been assiduously created and peddled among the addicts that they are the helpless victims of something that is beyond their own control, which means that they need the technical assistance of what amounts to a substantial bureaucratic apparatus in order to overcome it."

So....a lie aimed not at helping "victims," but of advancing both dependency and the size of government.

Last edited:
Now, back to the lie, and 'the why.'

6. " Heroin addiction has been presented by officialdom as a bona fide disease... , the whole basis of the supposed treatment for their supposed disease is rooted in lies and misconceptions.

For example, research has shown that most addicts spend at least 18 months taking heroin intermittently before they become addicted.
Nor are they ignorant, while they take it intermittently, of heroin’s addictive properties.
In other words, they show considerable determination in becoming addicts: It is something, for whatever reason, that they want to become. It is something they do, rather than some thing that happens to them.

7. Research has shown also that heroin addicts lead very busy lives one way or another—so busy, in fact, that there is no reason why they could not make an honest living if they so wished. Indeed, this has been known for a long time, for in the 1920s and 30s in America, morphine addicts for the most part made an honest living.

a. Withdrawal from opiates, the fearfulness of which, reiterated in film and book, is often given as one of the main reasons for not abandoning the habit, is in fact
a pretty trivial condition, certainly by comparison with illnesses which most of us have experienced, or by comparison with withdrawal from other drugs'"

8. "... , heroin addicts do not become criminals because they are addicted (and can raise funds to buy their drugs only by crime); those who take heroin and indulge in criminal behavior have almost always indulged in extensive criminal behavior before they were ever addicted. Criminality is a better predictor of addiction than is addiction of criminality."

So....they knew what they were getting into, aimed to do so, and were criminals before they became enmeshed in the problem.....

Are we beginning to see how this example applies to the inveterate poor?

Putting poor people on welfare keeps poor people poor and makes them depedent.
People who become addicted to heroine should quit or stop whining.

Last edited:
9. "I have taken the example of heroin addiction as emblematic of .... the dialectical relationship between the worldview of those at the bottom of society and the complementary worldview of what one might call the salvationist bureaucracy of the government.

In the old Soviet Union there was a joke in which the workers would say to the party bosses, “We pretend to work and you pretend to pay us.”
In the case of the heroin addicts, they might say, “We pretend to be ill, and you pretend to cure us.”

[And that same pretense is the source of the ever increasing poverty in the nation.]

a. .... it creates a state of dishonest dependency on the part of the addicts. They wait
for salvation as Estragon and Vladimir wait for Godot in Samuel Beckett’s play; they wait for something that will never arrive,....

b. Dishonest passivity and dependence combined with harmful activity becomes
a pattern of life, and not just among drug addicts..." http://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/file/2014_05_06_Imprimis.pdf

10. And of course the rationalization of problems results in false solutions, i.e., Liberalism.
Here we find the end result of a belief in Liberalism: Empty promises, and worse results:

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn’t elected
a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn’t elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati, OH (3rd)… since 1984;

Cleveland, OH (4th)… since 1989;

Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican Mayor;

St. Louis, MO (6th)…. since 1949;

El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican Mayor;

Milwaukee, WI (8th)… since 1908;

Philadelphia, PA (9th)… since 1952;

Newark, NJ (10th)… since 1907.
Top 10 Poorest Cities run by Democrats « Scattershooting

11. " This is surely a very curious but destructive state of mind, and one that some politicians have unfortunately made it their interest to promote by promising secular salvation from relative poverty by means of redistribution....

[Left wing government] has smashed up all forms of social solidarity that are independent of it.... high taxation for redistribution by state officials to other parts of the population, which of course are neither grateful for the subventions nor find them sufficient to meet their dreams, and which are, in fact, partly responsible for their need for them in the first place.

["If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." Mark Twain]

And not surprisingly, some of the money sticks to the hands of the redistributionist bureaucracy."

a. " In fact, since President Obama took office, federal welfare spending has increased by 41 percent, more than $193 billion per year. Despite this government largess, more than 46 million Americans continue to live in poverty. Despite nearly $15 trillion in total welfare spending since Lyndon Johnson declared war on poverty in 1964, the poverty rate is perilously close to where we began more than 40 years ago.

Throwing money at the problem has neither reduced poverty nor made the poor self-sufficient."
Scribd

And so, just as heroin addiction is a purposeful act endorsed and encouraged by Liberal rationalizations of the problem, so, to, is poverty.

How long will the nation allow this fraud to continue?

Poverty is not 'cultivated' by the social spending of the welfare state. If that were true, Africa would have the least amount of poverty in the world.

]

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com[/QUOTE]

I can't read her posts all the way through either. It's like reading a dyslexic with Tourette's.

Last edited:
Poverty is not 'cultivated' by the social spending of the welfare state. If that were true, Africa would have the least amount of poverty in the world.

Don't you realize yet that I am never wrong?

1. A key to why ‘poverty’ ceased to decline almost as soon as the ‘War on Poverty’ began, is that the poor and lower-income population stopped working, and this led to the other deteriorating social conditions Murray cites. In 1960, almost 2/3 of lowest-income households were headed by persons who worked. http://www2.census.gov/prod2/popscan/p60-080.pdf

a. By 1991, this number was down to only one third….and only 11% working full time. Nor was this due to being unable to find work, as the ‘80’s and ‘90’s were boom times.

2. Here we see an inherent weakness in Liberal thinking, that is that they are the smartest of folks, and their brilliance is necessary for other to prosper. The sequitur is that the people that they guide are stupid.
No, the problem is that, with government welfare programs offering such generous and wide-ranging benefits, form housing to medical care to food stamps to outright cash, many reduce or eliminate their work effort.

3. Proof? Sure. The government conducted a study, 1971-1978 known as the Seattle-Denver Income Maintenance Experiment, or SIME-DIME, in which low income families were given a guaranteed income, a welfare package with everything liberal policy makers could hope for. Result: for every dollar of extra welfare given, low income recipients reduced their labor by 80 cents. http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/10207/bitstreams/12794.pdf

[The results for husbands show that the combination of negative income tax plans tested in SIME/DIME — which, as already mentioned, represents on average a relatively generous cash transfer program with a guarantee of 115% of the poverty line and a tax rate of 50% — has a significant negative effect on hours worked per year. ]Overview of the Final Report of the SIME/DIME: Report

a. Further results: dissolution of families: “This conclusion was unambiguously unfavorable to advocates of a negative income tax that would cover married couples, for two important reasons. First, increased marital breakups among the poor would increase the numbers on welfare and the amount of transfer payments, principally because the separated wife and children would receive higher transfer payments.

Second, marital dissolutions and the usual accompanying absence of
fathers from households with children are generally considered unfavorable outcomes regardless of whether or not the welfare rolls increase.”
http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/conf/conf30/conf30c.pdf

b. “When families received guaranteed income at 90% of the poverty level, there was a 43% increase in black family dissolution and a 63% increase in white family dissolution. At 125% of the poverty levels, dissolutions were 75% and 40%.” Robert B. Carleson, “Government Is The Problem,” p. 57.

4. Since productive activity not making any economic sense because of the work disincentives of the welfare plantation, other kinds of activities proliferate: drug and alcohol abuse, crime, recreational sex, illegitimacy, and family breakup are the new social norms, as does the culture of violence.

]

I can't read her posts all the way through either. It's like reading a dyslexic with Tourette's. [/QUOTE]

The Liberal in post #17 seemed to understand it.....and I thought he was a dunce.

Heck....you must be wayyyyyyyyy off to the left side of the IQ curve, huh?

Forum List

Back