• 3-4

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Daily

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Couple times per month

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My normal gym schedule is three times per week, and has been for over 40 years. My gym workout is 30 minutes of stretching and weights/machines, followed by 25 minutes of "cardio."

In summer, however, I often do things that I deem a "virtual"' gym workout - a 2-hour bike ride, or 2 hours of yard work - so I'll just go twice a week in the Summer.

I also have a home gym and I'll sometimes do a short workout at home, mainly to do some "interval" training on my stationary bike.

I blush to admit that no gym would never feature me to illustrate the benefits of regular gym exercise. Although I consider myself in pretty good shape (for 73 y.o.), it doesn't show well.

So wife and I started going to a gym about four+ years ago, pre-COVID.
Her Idea and push mainly, but like a lot of things she drags me into, this was a good idea.
There a few gyms within a few miles of where we live, out in rural country, and over a year ago we found one we like and which does the 'Silver and Fit' program, which keeps our cost real low.

Though we get in plenty of work in yard and gardens from Spring through Autumn, we still do the gym about 4-5 days a week. That's M-F, we skip it on the weekend. We are usually there for an hour to hour and a half.

I start out with a few miles on the bike, and usually have a book I'll read. Then off to the weight machines, 8-9 of them. I'm not out to set record in how much to lift/resist since my idea is that numerous reps are better than a few near overloads. I usually go for about forty reps, sometimes steady repetition, other times sets of 10-20. Also, I don't try to rush through, rather go for extend and hold a second or few. Then it's back to the bike and reading until she's done with here routines and is ready to go.

I'm pushing toward mid 70s and she is about late 60s. I'm not interested in increasing muscle mass so much as retaining and not losing what I have. After hip replacement, knee surgery, and a few other fixes to my body, I'm not into impact or extreme stress to my bones and joints.

We've found it's a great way to start a day and wake up, along with retain strength and flexibility.

Also, there are quite a few younger women going there whom have nicely shaped bodies and wear tight fitting garments. The 'eye candy' is a big reward in itself! ;)

Actually, the real limit is bone strength, not muscles.
Your muscles are attached to your bones and if your bones can't take the stress the fracture and break.
Muscle sprains/strains happen all the time when lifting.

I’ve never heard of someone breaking a bone lifting, though I’m sure it’s happened

I decided last month to do 100 pushups every day. I only lasted 10 or 11 days before my left collarbone soreness made me stop.

I got both collarbones X-rayed last week and am going in to the doctor to see what the deal is next week, the radiologist comments included "unremarkable", which usually means nothing looked wrong, so now I need to figure out what the deal is.

ligaments and muscles are torn much more often than bone breaks .
That may be, but still, bones are the foundation of body strength structure and if pressed too hard, these are key and critical fracture zones.
It's basic biology and physics.

All I was saying is that bone strength is the upper limit of what one wants to push against in weight training. Also what one should focus on maintaining~strengthening via diet~food intake.

I mostly maintain these days. Try to walk a few miles a day, 70 pushups, some light dumbbell work (besides schooling libs here). I used to do 6 sets of 12 pull-ups and 40 mins on a stationary bike, but I have to change it up every now and then.

I decided last month to do 100 pushups every day. I only lasted 10 or 11 days before my left collarbone soreness made me stop.

I got both collarbones X-rayed last week and am going in to the doctor to see what the deal is next week, the radiologist comments included "unremarkable", which usually means nothing looked wrong, so now I need to figure out what the deal is.

You started too fast

I never spent time in a gym. I was a competitive fencer so would go to the fencing school 5 to 6 times per week depending on my work schedule.

Everything we did was cardio and speed related. Some guys did go to the gym for strength as well, but I didn't.

I never spent time in a gym. I was a competitive fencer so would go to the fencing school 5 to 6 times per week depending on my work schedule.

Everything we did was cardio and speed related. Some guys did go to the gym for strength as well, but I didn't.
I got into a few decades back, but never competitively. I still have a few foils and a couple masks, so give an occasional intro to the grandkids.

I got into a few decades back, but never competitively. I still have a few foils and a couple masks, so give an occasional intro to the grandkids.
I was a three weapon fencer, though I prefer Sabre

Agreed, but why is only the left side hurting? I used perfect form so I'm thinking there was already something wrong but I don't know, and I don't have a lot of confidence anyone can tell me if the X-ray doesn't show anything.
I guarantee that if you were trying to do 100 push ups a day starting from no pushups a day that you were not using perfect form.

Maybe try bar hangs and pull ups. You get the benefit of weightlifting plus decompressing your joints.

You don't know what else I was doing.

You don't know what you don't know.

I don't have to.

I know that if you just started doing 100 pushups a day from zero a day that there is no way you were doing 100 perfect pushups.

Forum List

Back