How many US troops in Iraq & Syria right now?

That's right you have no right to know. Knowing which units are deployed there and the number of personnel assigned gives the enemy detailed information as to the capabilities of those troops.

I will tell you because it is public knowledge that the current force training troops in Iraq is the 4th BCT of the 101st Airborne Division. I know this because I pay attention to news releases as to troop rotations and the fact that they relieved my daughter's Cavalry regiment back in the winter.

If I had my way, you would not even know that information.
That is both more and less information than I asked for. I don't know what you think I will run out and do with that--all I wanted to know is how many US troops are currently in Iraq. You still haven't told me.

The reason we know there are about 15,000 troops in Afghanistan, according to the report Tjin gave me, is "observers and analysts" who estimated the number of U.S. Armed Forces personnel in Afghanistan to be between 14,000 and 15,000. Do you think "the enemy" has no observers or analysts?

It seems to me that this is kind of weird. If you look at the report from Tjin, troop strength in all three of these countries was reported during the time we were at war there.
Now suddenly, in our training and peace keeping missions, it is not?

Something is fishy, and no--your self-important hot air about being "secretive" is not impressing me at all. There is no need for secrecy at this point that was not there previously, perhaps more importantly back then.

You don't think terrorists monitor pages like this for intel information?

Part of my duties for the Army is to monitor social media content for possible operation security information.

The ultimate question is, why do you you care?
Yes the terrorist observe this covert overt operation for vital 411...

What makes you think they don't?
They know that all you can give the the inside info on is WWII.

All I can give? More clueless nonsense!

Being a civilian, you truly do not have a need to know. It is what it is. :dunno:
So why all of a sudden do I not have a right to know, when it was alright to tell me while we had actual wars going on in those places?
It is not what it is. Something is rotten in Denmark.
Well they want to say that Trump is not a war democrat..
I'm not the conspiracy theory type, but I am beginning to wonder if that is indeed the answer. I do know that when the DOD tells the media to keep quiet about something, they do. I have asked on the search engines "How many us troops in Iraq 2019" etc. and have gotten many articles that very carefully avoid the questiom. because the media won't print facts it can't confirm and they can't confirm any numbers. I would never knowingly ask a question that would put a soldier in harm's way, but I just don't believe this malarkey about it being some kind of deep operational secret makes sense.

Would the DOD actually take an order from the President telling them to keep this kind of information mum just to make him look good? I realize he is the Commander in Chief, but .... REALLY?
You know how it is with a personality like Trumps, he doesn't want people to know because he can't stand to be told no or it's not allowed.
Well, when Trump made that pronouncement that ISIS was finished and everyone was coming home, I figured there were probably some quiet talks going on with him among the Generals. I just didn't realize that one man could cause the enormous Department of Defense, which eats such a remarkable chunk of our budget, to be unaccountable in any sense. I was not asking for anything dangerous--for any of you yahoos who think it is, you need to get over yourselves. I remember the Vietnam War, and we knew how many of our boys were there. Do you think the North Vietnamese didn't listen to Walter Cronkite? LOL
These guys want war, want to nuke the ME and then want to thank God..and nuke God next...

That is both more and less information than I asked for. I don't know what you think I will run out and do with that--all I wanted to know is how many US troops are currently in Iraq. You still haven't told me.

The reason we know there are about 15,000 troops in Afghanistan, according to the report Tjin gave me, is "observers and analysts" who estimated the number of U.S. Armed Forces personnel in Afghanistan to be between 14,000 and 15,000. Do you think "the enemy" has no observers or analysts?

It seems to me that this is kind of weird. If you look at the report from Tjin, troop strength in all three of these countries was reported during the time we were at war there.

Something is fishy, and no--your self-important hot air about being "secretive" is not impressing me at all. There is no need for secrecy at this point that was not there previously, perhaps more importantly back then.

Part of my duties for the Army is to monitor social media content for possible operation security information.

That's about all its worth.

Being a civilian, you truly do not have a need to know. It is what it is. :dunno:
So why all of a sudden do I not have a right to know, when it was alright to tell me while we had actual wars going on in those places?
I'm not the conspiracy theory type, but I am beginning to wonder if that is indeed the answer. I do know that when the DOD tells the media to keep quiet about something, they do. I have asked on the search engines "How many us troops in Iraq 2019" etc. and have gotten many articles that very carefully avoid the questiom. because the media won't print facts it can't confirm and they can't confirm any numbers. I would never knowingly ask a question that would put a soldier in harm's way, but I just don't believe this malarkey about it being some kind of deep operational secret makes sense.

Would the DOD actually take an order from the President telling them to keep this kind of information mum just to make him look good? I realize he is the Commander in Chief, but .... REALLY?
You know how it is with a personality like Trumps, he doesn't want people to know because he can't stand to be told no or it's not allowed.
Well, when Trump made that pronouncement that ISIS was finished and everyone was coming home, I figured there were probably some quiet talks going on with him among the Generals. I just didn't realize that one man could cause the enormous Department of Defense, which eats such a remarkable chunk of our budget, to be unaccountable in any sense. I was not asking for anything dangerous--for any of you yahoos who think it is, you need to get over yourselves. I remember the Vietnam War, and we knew how many of our boys were there. Do you think the North Vietnamese didn't listen to Walter Cronkite? LOL

They are leaving Syria. They are not coming home. You are wrong again.

As opposed to what lies you tell, my information is golden!

They are leaving Syria. They are not coming home. You are wrong again.
What am I wrong about?

So fuckin what?

I may have a need to know. You do not. EOS.
Seriously, "Admiral," why would the number of troops in the Middle East for the past year and a half be "secret?" Do you honestly think the "other side" can't guestimate how many folks we have on the ground there? Do you think the American people, who pay for that deployment and also supply the men and women who are risking their lives there, have no right to know?

This is not like WWII; technology has taken those kinds of secrets straight out of the equation. Is this only being kept quiet because Trump is embarrassed he couldn't keep his promise of immediately bringing home ALL the troops?

That's right you have no right to know. Knowing which units are deployed there and the number of personnel assigned gives the enemy detailed information as to the capabilities of those troops.

I will tell you because it is public knowledge that the current force training troops in Iraq is the 4th BCT of the 101st Airborne Division. I know this because I pay attention to news releases as to troop rotations and the fact that they relieved my daughter's Cavalry regiment back in the winter.

I'll give you a hypothetical: Suppose we are withdrawing from there and don't want to broadcast it because our enemies will swoop in and give the meager forces left there a last hurrah and capture our equipment?
Now that might actually make some sense. Although it wouldn't apply in Iraq, would it?

I am sure you are aware of your navel movements when yer belly moves.

I am sure you are aware of your navel movements when yer belly moves.

Do have anything to contribute or are you just going to be your same stupid self? If so, putting your ass on ignore would make sense.

I may have a need to know. You do not. EOS.
Seriously, "Admiral," why would the number of troops in the Middle East for the past year and a half be "secret?" Do you honestly think the "other side" can't guestimate how many folks we have on the ground there? Do you think the American people, who pay for that deployment and also supply the men and women who are risking their lives there, have no right to know?

This is not like WWII; technology has taken those kinds of secrets straight out of the equation. Is this only being kept quiet because Trump is embarrassed he couldn't keep his promise of immediately bringing home ALL the troops?

I'll give you a hypothetical: Suppose we are withdrawing from there and don't want to broadcast it because our enemies will swoop in and give the meager forces left there a last hurrah and capture our equipment?
Now that might actually make some sense. Although it wouldn't apply in Iraq, would it?

Why would it not apply?

Why would it not apply?
I did not think we were fighting there. Like your daughter's unit, I have been told they are there training, not fighting.

Why would it not apply?
I did not think we were fighting there. Like your daughter's unit, I have been told they are there training, not fighting.

They were training the Iraqis to fight and supported them in fighting ISIS. The artillery units were constantly shelling ISIS positions until there were no more targets. Now, not so much fighting as training and being there in case ISIS tries a comeback.

Okay. That was my understanding, as well. I'm not going to be losing any sleep over not knowing how many troops are there, but I still think there's a good chance this is all Trump trying to hide a blunder.

Okay. That was my understanding, as well. I'm not going to be losing any sleep over not knowing how many troops are there, but I still think there's a good chance this is all Trump trying to hide a blunder.

That's typical libtard behavior. Despite all evidence being to the contrary, you make something up to fit your agenda.
You have not given me one bit of evidence to the contrary. You have simply looked down your nose and told me it's none of my business, go play like a good little girl.
You have not explained why it is suddenly unwise to provide this information to the public when it was perfectly safe to do so DURING the fighting. You have not explained why it is operationally sensitive when it wasn't during other wars. So why would I NOT still have questions?

That's typical libtard behavior. Despite all evidence being to the contrary, you make something up to fit your agenda.
You have not given me one bit of evidence to the contrary. You have simply looked down your nose and told me it's none of my business, go play like a good little girl.
You have not explained why it is suddenly unwise to provide this information to the public when it was perfectly safe to do so DURING the fighting. You have not explained why it is operationally sensitive when it wasn't during other wars. So why would I NOT still have questions?

Those number of troops given out by the media were estimates, not official numbers by the DoD. Need to know basis is reality in the military. As a civilian volunteer at our urban combat center, I am never allowed to discuss which units we are training at any time. When my daughter returned from Iaq, I was given two days notice of the day she would be arriving home at her post. Discussing unit movements or capabilities on US Army web pages on Facebook or Instagram, and I would be the one responsible for deleting your posts.

Those number of troops given out by the media were estimates, not official numbers by the DoD. Need to know basis is reality in the military. As a civilian volunteer at our urban combat center, I am never allowed to discuss which units we are training at any time. When my daughter returned from Iaq, I was given two days notice of the day she would be arriving home at her post. Discussing unit movements or capabilities on US Army web pages on Facebook or Instagram, and I would be the one responsible for deleting your posts.
Well, that's a little better. I didn't ask for any specifics or even WHERE the troops were in Iraq or what they were doing there, though, did I?

And you are incorrect that the troop numbers were estimates. The report put up by Tjin reported the exact number on a quarterly basis, all the way to the end of 2017.

It was not "perfectly safe" to do so before. The number, location & type of soldiers deployed is valuable information for attackers. It is obvious. Maybe you should research just how many presidents released such information (current). Then, you will discover it's the norm, not just here but around the globe. Another research project would be to find other countries that post their numbers & location in real time.

Well, that's a little better. I didn't ask for any specifics or even WHERE the troops were in Iraq or what they were doing there, though, did I?

And you are incorrect that the troop numbers were estimates. The report put up by Tjin reported the exact number on a quarterly basis, all the way to the end of 2017.

I have that racist bastard on ignore, so I don't see his posts. Where do those numbers come from?

It was not "perfectly safe" to do so before. The number, location & type of soldiers deployed is valuable information for attackers. It is obvious. Maybe you should research just how many presidents released such information (current). Then, you will discover it's the norm, not just here but around the globe. Another research project would be to find other countries that post their numbers & location in real time.
Okay, so I Googled an example--when the French decided to withdraw from Afghanistan seven years ago. They were entirely specific. An article on the French NOT withdrawing from Syria, in Jan 2019 also reported how many French soldiers were there. Just like that. Not even five minutes.
I wonder if you guys are just full of shit.

Forum List

Back