How many US troops in Iraq & Syria right now?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I have gone to Google, bing and duckduckgo and cannot find the answer to this question.
It appears we have some there--the Iraq government is about to vote on kicking out ALL foreign troops, because they don't want to be mixed up in our antagonisms against Iran. The article says we have troops there.

I have not heard that all troops have been pulled out of Syria, either.

Does anyone know, or can anyone find the answer?

(Yeah, I know there are rumors we might send anywhere from 5,000 to 120,000 in response to Iran's posturing, and I know Trump is sending 1,500 or so somewhere over there. It is all very fuzzy. Who says the media doesn't work with the administration? I swear they're keeping this mum.)

I have gone to Google, bing and duckduckgo and cannot find the answer to this question.
It appears we have some there--the Iraq government is about to vote on kicking out ALL foreign troops, because they don't want to be mixed up in our antagonisms against Iran. The article says we have troops there.

(Yeah, I know there are rumors we might send anywhere from 5,000 to 120,000 in response to Iran's posturing, and I know Trump is sending 1,500 or so somewhere over there. It is all very fuzzy. Who says the media doesn't work with the administration? I swear they're keeping this mum.)

You do not have a need to know.

Thank you! Looks like as of the end of 2017, maybe 5,200 US forces in Iraq and estimates of 15,000 in Afghanistan as of 2019. But it also said this:

In late 2017, the DOD stopped reporting the number of U.S. military personnel deployed in support of operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria as part of its quarterly manpower reports and in other official releases. These data remain withheld.

I wonder why they would be withholding it?

Yeah, I know. You don't know either. LOL

Thank you! Looks like as of the end of 2017, maybe 5,200 US forces in Iraq and estimates of 15,000 in Afghanistan as of 2019. But it also said this:

In late 2017, the DOD stopped reporting the number of U.S. military personnel deployed in support of operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria as part of its quarterly manpower reports and in other official releases. These data remain withheld.

Well...let's just say...transition.

I don't understand.

I don't understand.
I was part of a unit which supported CENTCOM ops. There was quite a bit of activity and transition 2015-17.
I don't know for sure if that is the reason but things were in flux.

I work for the US Army. Have a nice day!

So fuckin what?

So fuckin what?

I may have a need to know. You do not. EOS.

So fuckin what?

Seriously, "Admiral," why would the number of troops in the Middle East for the past year and a half be "secret?" Do you honestly think the "other side" can't guestimate how many folks we have on the ground there? Do you think the American people, who pay for that deployment and also supply the men and women who are risking their lives there, have no right to know?

This is not like WWII; technology has taken those kinds of secrets straight out of the equation. Is this only being kept quiet because Trump is embarrassed he couldn't keep his promise of immediately bringing home ALL the troops?

So fuckin what?

Seriously, "Admiral," why would the number of troops in the Middle East for the past year and a half be "secret?" Do you honestly think the "other side" can't guestimate how many folks we have on the ground there? Do you think the American people, who pay for that deployment and also supply the men and women who are risking their lives there, have no right to know?

This is not like WWII; technology has taken those kinds of secrets straight out of the equation. Is this only being kept quiet because Trump is embarrassed he couldn't keep his promise of immediately bringing home ALL the troops?

That's right you have no right to know. Knowing which units are deployed there and the number of personnel assigned gives the enemy detailed information as to the capabilities of those troops.

I will tell you because it is public knowledge that the current force training troops in Iraq is the 4th BCT of the 101st Airborne Division. I know this because I pay attention to news releases as to troop rotations and the fact that they relieved my daughter's Cavalry regiment back in the winter.

If I had my way, you would not even know that information.

Forum List

Back