How many of you think fantasy is UnAmerican and unChristian?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
I'm more of a sci fi guy! So how many of you think the fantasy genre is sexist, violent, UnAmerican, and UnChristian?

A game from the Japanese featuring a world with gasp! Multiple Gods!
tY49dQL.jpg

y1HyqXX.jpg

Dear JakeWIlls92
The part that I find dangerous is NOT teaching people that in real life, when you run into contact with or influence of "dark energy" or "dark forces" of occult, sorcery, witchcraft, demonic obsession, addiction etc, the cure for this is to remove the influence by prayer invoking the authority of Christ Jesus. That is the one source of strong enough positive/concentrated healing energy that can overcome and defeat the negative controls from occult energy.

This is similar to warning people of the dangers of exposure to microwaves or other "radioactive" energy which isn't like normal energy levels that are natural. The stronger the "radioactive" energy, the greater need for protective gear so people are not exposed directly to energy that can cause cancer and other ill effects.

People do not take "occult" and dark energy/forces seriously, but it has been linked to mental and criminal illness, at levels that lead to deadly addictions and both homicidal and suicidal deaths.

So when these dark occult forces are represented or advertised as if people can overcome them by themselves, this becomes irresponsible and unethical. I'd prefer to see greater educational outreach and awareness, including scientific research studies and warnings of both the dangers, signs and symptoms, and the remedies and where to go for help at first onset.

One real life example of someone trying to warn others of the dangers of occult and dark forces is David Berkowitz, after he went mad and killed several people under the influence of occult obsession.

The treatment, prevention and cure through Christian therapy to remove the occult influences is well established, but isn't fully understood by the public. This requires further medical research studies and development to prove how both the negative and positive energy work, and then that would help establish this as part of medical science and mental health treatment.

What you bring up is just the artistic depictions. But the real issue that Christians are addressing is the real life influences of these dark occult forces, the effects on people's health in terms of addictions and suicidal or homicidal behavior, and the cure to these problems.

Depends on the fantasy....

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

If the fantasy says that I have to travel by foot, fighting orcs and the like, just to throw a ring into a volcano, count me out.

However...................................

If the fantasy involves 2 amazon redheads with large sexual appetites and some whipped cream? Count me in!

I'm more of a sci fi guy! So how many of you think the fantasy genre is sexist, violent, UnAmerican, and UnChristian?

tY49dQL.jpg

y1HyqXX.jpg

That stuff will cause you to fry in hell

Just Kiding!

tY49dQL.jpg

y1HyqXX.jpg

So how many of you think the fantasy genre is sexist, violent, UnAmerican, and UnChristian?

I really haven't looked at video games in that context, nor have I considered the sci-fi/fantasy novels I've read that way. I suspect, however, that to the extent video games define gender roles and are Japanese in origin, there's a fair chance they are sexist because Japanese are sexist, and based on my experience working in Tokyo, they had little to no cultural compunction about being so.
Maybe things have changed there since I last spent any material time (three or more months) there? My gut says that the only change is that they're talking more about being less sexist more so than actually being non-sexist.

So how many of you think the fantasy genre is ...violent...?
Are fantasy video games violent? Absolutely!
  • What does one do when running "all over Hell's half-acre" looking for the "Sword of Badassness" and all those other trinkets and clues one needs to get to the end of the game?
  • Upon obtaining that sword, what does one do with it?
  • What is the point of becoming an increasingly powerful mage? I know I never played a fantasy game where it was possible to defeat an opponent merely by healing oneself.
Of course they're violent! If one doesn't kill a ton of opponents, one cannot win the game.

So how many of you think the fantasy genre is ...UnAmerican...?
Are fantasy games unAmerican? I don't know. I haven't thought about that. I probably won't think about it because I don't care.

So how many of you think the fantasy genre is ...UnChristian?

I don't know. I know I've come upon a ton of temples/churches in fantasy video games. That said, it seems to the general "rule" in fantasy video games is "do unto others before they do unto you," so, it's probably not the case that fantasy video games, in the main, embrace what Jesus described as the second greatest commandment. Thus it's more likely they are unChristian than they are Christian.

Forum List

Back