The American government killed Saturday Morning Cartoons for a very short time

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
It is sad and crazy how we had let the American government do this.

The Real Reason Why Saturday Morning Cartoons Disappeared - Grunge

I view the early 2010s as a dark time for American TV.

The Discovery, History, and Sci-Fi Channels embraced reality TV, UFO, and ghost hunting crap.

As a person who grew up with shows like "Avatar: The Last Airbender" I say I would have preferred to watch a sci fi or fantasy cartoon over an edutainment documentary.

But thanks to Netflix it has been revived.

Voltron: Legendary Defender feels like a return for Saturday morning cartoons

The Dragon Prince shrugs off expectations in the best ways

Why were the politicians of the 1990s such busybodies?

Who the hell watches that "One Magnificent Morning Crap"?

Imagine living in a world where in 2014 we didn't have problems with inequality, polluted water, and police brutality and were instead ensuring American youth had access to good fiction that would inspire a new generation of sci fi and fantasy creators.

back when there were only three stations only it was a big deal...
Right. You spent the whole week in school. And Saturday morning was part of the payoff and the schedule we lived by. Our only decision was which channel and shows to watch on the national TV programming.

Right. You spent the whole week in school. And Saturday morning was part of the payoff and the schedule we lived by. Our only decision was which channel and shows to watch on the national TV programming.
Before the old man got up and chores were done.

The late 50s and early 60's were a much different time in America. Just a few networks and a virtual cartoon fest on Saturday mornings. We'd watch cartoons, do our chores and go outside and play all day, ride our bikes to our friends houses and didn't come home until dinner.

i looked forward to watching Transformers and GI Joe after school on weekdays in the 1980s. i also watched Saturday morning cartoons. Those were the days. :)

Saturday morning was Cartoon Day only because we kids had no other options.

Now there’s cartoons on TV and streaming 24/7, so what would be the point?

I look back on “cartoon day” with nostalgia: He-Man, GI Joe, Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks.

But it’s more nostalgia for our youth than anything else. Those cartoons weren’t much better or worse than what came before or after.

With that said, it’s kind of sad kids don’t have a early morning Saturday eating cereal and watching cartoons in your underwear to look forward to each week like we did.

I got rid of me TV because I'd rather do anything else than watch tv lately.
I have to have the TV on at barely audible in order to sleep. MeTV has plenty of syndicated old stuff that is relatively garbage free.

Otherwise, yeah. the TV in my living room never gets used for anything but an occasional movie or binge night of Northern Exposure, the last watchable TV.

The late 50s and early 60's were a much different time in America. Just a few networks and a virtual cartoon fest on Saturday mornings. We'd watch cartoons, do our chores and go outside and play all day, ride our bikes to our friends houses and didn't come home until dinner.
My dad was a kid in the 50's and loved watching Saturday morning cartoons.

One of the first Saturday Morning Cartoon shows was one called "Linus the Lion-Hearted", which was sponsored by Post Cereals. It had a bunch of characters that were featured on the boxes of the cereal. The one that survives to the present day is Sugar Bear for Post Sugar Crisp. Today it's called Golden Crisp.

1704029938364.png

Another character that has been largely memory-holed is the one of So-Hi, who represented Rice Crinkles.

1704029981769.png

Yeah, this hasn't aged well. The character had a white person's bad imitation of what an Asian person should sound like.

The government largely cracked down on this nonsense and frankly, we are all better off for it.

Forum List

Back