How Many of You Have Been "Ripped-off" by a Bank?

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
I'm hanging at a party in my neighborhood recently and everyone, that is 100% of my neighbors, have a story about being ripped-off by a bank. Everyone had a story that was less than 5 years old, too.

Mine was J.P. Morgan Chase, shortly after they acquired me as a WaMu customer: They rearranged the chronology of 2 small checks and 1 big check so they could bounce all three at $35 a whack. I made an ATM deposit on a weekend, and I thought I might bounce the big one. I was relegated in my mind to paying the fee if I did, but it was obvious that they held the two little ones and purposely ran the big one first. Accounts Closed.

Adding insult to injury, they send me direct mail 4 days in 7 trying to get me back. I LOVE running those unopened envelopes through the shredder, but I cry for the trees killed for their paper.

I'm hanging at a party in my neighborhood recently and everyone, that is 100% of my neighbors, have a story about being ripped-off by a bank. Everyone had a story that was less than 5 years old, too.

Mine was J.P. Morgan Chase, shortly after they acquired me as a WaMu customer: They rearranged the chronology of 2 small checks and 1 big check so they could bounce all three at $35 a whack. I made an ATM deposit on a weekend, and I thought I might bounce the big one. I was relegated in my mind to paying the fee if I did, but it was obvious that they held the two little ones and purposely ran the big one first. Accounts Closed.

Adding insult to injury, they send me direct mail 4 days in 7 trying to get me back. I LOVE running those unopened envelopes through the shredder, but I cry for the trees killed for their paper.

They make really great mulch.

Bank ? Thats a tall hillside thing beside the road.......right ?
I'm kinda stoopid that way.

Attachments

• $RaidTriple.gif
    $RaidTriple.gif
    96.4 KB · Views: 110
That happened to my daughter a few years back and to me when I was younger. It's a learning experience for sure and not much you can do about it. When it happened to my daughter, I looked online to see what others have done about it but found nothing but complaints.

They are sleazy and so obvious about making money off of fees and overdrafts, the best you can do for yourself if never bounce a check.

I own a bunch of apartments. When the bank sold my mortgages to another that has since gone out of business, they applied two payments to one mortgage and none to another. It took me a year to prove that I had made the payment. I even had the cancelled checks with the account numbers on them. Meanwhile they were charging me late fees. This is only one example.

Course banks sometimes can't control the idiots that work for them. I was involved in a cash Real Estate deal, brought in the cash and $2000 dollars disappeared when they counted the cash. I should have been allowed to watch them count the money but wasn't.

Hindsight is 20-20.

Last edited:
Years ago I went to down to my local ATM machine to get some money. I checked my balance first. It said I had over a million dollars in my account. I still have the slip now just because it looked so cool to think I had a million dollars in my bank account. Went directly to the bank to have them check my balance. Obvious error. It took them a couple of hours to get it figured out but when they did my account showed that I had the $23.93 in it that I suspected I had. For a few minutes though, I was on cloud 9.

Increasingly retail banking services are being supported by outrageous fees and fines.

You have to watch your bank closely to keep on top of the games they're apt to play.

I visit my banks (yes plural) once a week to check their current balances against the current balance amount I think I have in the various accounts I must maintain.

i do not believe a word you said !

even if it were true - the demokrats ripped off our banks so much they have destroyed this country -

" dodd took 165,400 from freddie "

" mc cain took 21,550 from freddie "

" bush warned about freddie taking bad loans "

mc cain/obama blamed wall st.

" AFFORDABLE HOUSING "

david asman reporting - fox news oct. 08

affordable housing is the sexy name given to demokrats forcing banks to give loans to anyone who wanted one - no questions asked !

" I LOVE MY BANK ! "

I own a bunch of apartments. When the bank sold my mortgages to another that has since gone out of business, they applied two payments to one mortgage and none to another. It took me a year to prove that I had made the payment. I even had the cancelled checks with the account numbers on them. Meanwhile they were charging me late fees. This is only one example.

Course banks sometimes can't control the idiots that work for them. I was involved in a cash Real Estate deal, brought in the cash and $2000 dollars disappeared when they counted the cash. I should have been allowed to watch them count the money but wasn't.

Hindsight is 20-20.

I have a similar thing going on with my recently sold house mortgage. The company that acquired the note has got things screwed up because I was paid up through October when they bought the note in May. I have since sent in 2 more payments and they still show me paid up through September. Not really a bank, but the concept is similar.

Banksters. Every fucking one of them. :evil:

These guys are called Santander, out of Dallas.

:eusa_think: Any of you Lone-Star Staters know a reasonable attorney you'd recommend?​

Increasingly retail banking services are being supported by outrageous fees and fines.

You have to watch your bank closely to keep on top of the games they're apt to play.

I visit my banks (yes plural) once a week to check their current balances against the current balance amount I think I have in the various accounts I must maintain.

The oldest account I have is at a credit union in Washington State, but even with the internet, banking in WA from FL can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

The CU is great - $5 for a bounced check if they can cover it from your savings; pretty much everything else is free if you're a 'member'.

FL must have sucky banking laws, because I can't find a decent CU here - I'll be closing 3 accounts on Friday at the lesser of all evils I went with, IBM Southeastern Employees CU, because they just initiated a monthly fee of $1.90.

Years ago I went to down to my local ATM machine to get some money. I checked my balance first. It said I had over a million dollars in my account. I still have the slip now just because it looked so cool to think I had a million dollars in my bank account. Went directly to the bank to have them check my balance. Obvious error. It took them a couple of hours to get it figured out but when they did my account showed that I had the $23.93 in it that I suspected I had. For a few minutes though, I was on cloud 9.

I imagine the cloud would NOT have been #9 if you had tried to withdraw a couple hundred grand when you 'had' it.

Smart man, sticking to your honesty and just letting it go.

That happened to my daughter a few years back and to me when I was younger. It's a learning experience for sure and not much you can do about it. When it happened to my daughter, I looked online to see what others have done about it but found nothing but complaints.

They are sleazy and so obvious about making money off of fees and overdrafts, the best you can do for yourself if never bounce a check.

I hear you Sarah - Fool me once...

Been working in banking for 30+ years now. You weren't ripped off. They were operating within the law and banking regulations. They are a for profit business that provides a service at a cost and by law they fully disclose to each customer what their fees and charges are. The bank makes loans, but they don't cover your hot checks out of the kindness of their hearts. You wrote more in checks than you had in the bank and were hoping not to get caught and penalized. You lost. They do offer overdraft protection for a cost if you plan on doing that on a regular basis.

Forum List

Back