How Many of You Have Been "Ripped-off" by a Bank?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by AVG-JOE, Jun 15, 2011.

1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    I'm hanging at a party in my neighborhood recently and everyone, that is 100% of my neighbors, have a story about being ripped-off by a bank. Everyone had a story that was less than 5 years old, too.

Mine was J.P. Morgan Chase, shortly after they acquired me as a WaMu customer: They rearranged the chronology of 2 small checks and 1 big check so they could bounce all three at $35 a whack. I made an ATM deposit on a weekend, and I thought I might bounce the big one. I was relegated in my mind to paying the fee if I did, but it was obvious that they held the two little ones and purposely ran the big one first. Accounts Closed.

Adding insult to injury, they send me direct mail 4 days in 7 trying to get me back. I LOVE running those unopened envelopes through the shredder, but I cry for the trees killed for their paper.

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    It's more fun to return their letters unopened than to shred them. I do that.

3. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,266
    They make really great mulch.

4. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Bank ? Thats a tall hillside thing beside the road.......right ?
    I'm kinda stoopid that way.

Attached Files:

5. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,004
    That happened to my daughter a few years back and to me when I was younger. It's a learning experience for sure and not much you can do about it. When it happened to my daughter, I looked online to see what others have done about it but found nothing but complaints.

They are sleazy and so obvious about making money off of fees and overdrafts, the best you can do for yourself if never bounce a check.

6. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,266
    I own a bunch of apartments. When the bank sold my mortgages to another that has since gone out of business, they applied two payments to one mortgage and none to another. It took me a year to prove that I had made the payment. I even had the cancelled checks with the account numbers on them. Meanwhile they were charging me late fees. This is only one example.

Course banks sometimes can't control the idiots that work for them. I was involved in a cash Real Estate deal, brought in the cash and $2000 dollars disappeared when they counted the cash. I should have been allowed to watch them count the money but wasn't.

Hindsight is 20-20.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
  8. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,733
    Years ago I went to down to my local ATM machine to get some money. I checked my balance first. It said I had over a million dollars in my account. I still have the slip now just because it looked so cool to think I had a million dollars in my bank account. Went directly to the bank to have them check my balance. Obvious error. It took them a couple of hours to get it figured out but when they did my account showed that I had the $23.93 in it that I suspected I had. For a few minutes though, I was on cloud 9.

9. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    HAHAHAHAHHHAHAH.
    Noop.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Increasingly retail banking services are being supported by outrageous fees and fines.

You have to watch your bank closely to keep on top of the games they're apt to play.

I visit my banks (yes plural) once a week to check their current balances against the current balance amount I think I have in the various accounts I must maintain.