How I viewed Trump’s most recent speech …

Tom Paine 1949

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2020
“Trump Show” goes on …

I watched Trump’s whole speech at today’s West Palm Beach conservative “Turning Point Action” conference broadcast on NewsMax.

At first let me say I usually really admire the masterful skill and casual professionalism of Trump speeches: this one, at least the first half hour or so, seemed one of his “best.” He started by creating what appeared a seemlessly convincing — even though I believed it was untruthful — very entertaining “Truman Show”-like speech: According to him all was well in his campaign, he would win the Republican race easily, and all would be great in the country if he was elected. Even his many “personal sacrifices” were not getting him down, he reminded us.

It was a truly experienced actor’s delivery, quite energetic too. More energetic, frankly, than I expected. It was folksy, comforting & I’m sure convincing to his supporters. It was as homey as FDRs fireside chats, even as he repeatedly bragged of his unique creativity in characterizing his Republican opponents as irrelevant or “deSanctimonious,” and his Democratic opponents as “Marxists and Fascists” … prosecuting all Americans … by prosecuting him. “Now everyone is copying my words!” he bragged repeatedly about his clever use of slogans and nick-naming opponents. The first half hour the audience was VERY receptive.

Of course he also painted terrible pictures of the present and the future if he is not elected in 2024. After 40 minutes or so it got a bit repetitious and lost a bit of focus. Then Trump changed pace and did something different: He told a very long meandering story — really a long comic soliloquy — about his going to Afghanistan, for which he claimed he should have given himself a “Medal of Honor,” and his meeting with generals and a particularly good one named “General Raisin Cane.”

It wasn’t especially that funny and seemed pretty bizarre to me. Not getting that many laughs — even the best comics don’t always succeed — he ultimately returned to direct political attacks. For a moment then he actually looked like he was reading points off a teleprompter —something he very very rarely seems to need. He is a great “talker,” no doubt. No other American politician can match him for easy verbosity / demagogy.

The long talk went overtime, and included another story about an old woman who brought a freezing snake into her home and warmed it and fed it, saving it until — being a vicious snake — it bit her and killed her — just like the fake and vicious “refugees” Democrats allow in with “open borders.”

Then more political and personal attacks on Biden & Democrats, well-prepared demagogy about America’s many problems, the war in Ukraine that would never have happened if he were not cheated in 2020, and promises about how he will change everything wrong and save our country. The whole bit. He will “demolish the Deep State,” “drain the swamp once and for all,” etc. etc. etc.

Anyone else see the speech? What do people, regardless of their political views, think of Trump as a political speaker in general? It seems to me at least that Donald Trump still has tremendous skill in communicating, which makes him — in my humble opinion — still very dangerous.

I haven’t bothered to make any comparisons to Joe Biden, for rather obvious reasons …

Last edited:
Long winded OP.
And it overlooks the demographics of his audience , both at the event and as well as the one who will later see headlines and one or two talking points . Average audience members ( both ) are low IQ and Gullible, if the audiences are "typical " . So give them what they want in a language and style that they will "buy" . He was not at some Arts Festival or earning points for erudition .

“Trump Show” goes on …

I watched Trump’s whole speech at today’s West Palm Beach conservative “Turning Point Action” conference broadcast on NewsMax.

At first let me say I usually really admire the masterful skill and casual professionalism of Trump speeches: this one, at least the first half hour or so, seemed one of his “best.” He started by creating what appeared a seemlessly convincing — even though I believed it was untruthful — very entertaining “Truman Show”-like speech: According to him all was well in his campaign, he would win the Republican race easily, and all would be great in the country if he was elected. Even his many “personal sacrifices” were not getting him down, he reminded us.

It was a truly experienced actor’s delivery, quite energetic too. More energetic, frankly, than I expected. It was folksy, comforting & I’m sure convincing to his supporters. It was as homey as FDRs fireside chats, even as he repeatedly bragged of his unique creativity in characterizing his Republican opponents as irrelevant or “deSanctimonious,” and his Democratic opponents as “Marxists and Fascists” … prosecuting all Americans … by prosecuting him. “Now everyone is copying my words!” he bragged repeatedly about his clever use of slogans and nick-naming opponents. The first half hour the audience was VERY receptive.

Of course he also painted terrible pictures of the present and the future if he is not elected in 2024. After 40 minutes or so it got a bit repetitious and lost a bit of focus. Then Trump changed pace and did something different: He told a very long meandering story — really a long comic soliloquy — about his going to Afghanistan, for which he claimed he should have given himself a “Medal of Honor,” and his meeting with generals and a particularly good one named “General Raisin Cane.”

It wasn’t especially that funny and seemed pretty bizarre to me. Not getting that many laughs — even the best comics don’t always succeed — he ultimately returned to direct political attacks. For a moment then he actually looked like he was reading points off a teleprompter —something he very very rarely seems to need. He is a great “talker,” no doubt. No other American politician can match him for easy verbosity / demagogy.

The long talk went overtime, and included another story about an old woman who brought a freezing snake into her home and warmed it and fed it, saving it until — being a vicious snake — it bit her and killed her — just like the fake and vicious “refugees” Democrats allow in with “open borders.”

Then more political and personal attacks on Biden & Democrats, well-prepared demagogy about America’s many problems, the war in Ukraine that would never have happened if he were not cheated in 2020, and promises about how he will change everything wrong and save our country. The whole bit. He will “demolish the Deep State,” “drain the swamp once and for all,” etc. etc. etc.

Anyone else see the speech? What do people, regardless of their political views, think of Trump as a political speaker in general? It seems to me at least that Donald Trump still has tremendous skill in communicating, which makes him — in my humble opinion — still very dangerous.

I haven’t bothered to make any comparisons to Joe Biden, for rather obvious reasons …
Remember when he said I am retribution?

Trump has run out of supporters. His supporters were sitting in the troll factory in Olgino, and now they have been dispersed.

It's time to end the cheap clown. He is waiting for a prison in Guantanamo Bay.

“Trump Show” goes on …

Trump gave another great speech. No other GOP candidate can match the way he owns the crowd.

And it overlooks the demographics of his audience , both at the event and as well as the one who will later see headlines and one or two talking points . Average audience members ( both ) are low IQ and Gullible, if the audiences are "typical " . So give them what they want in a language and style that they will "buy" . He was not at some Arts Festival or earning points for erudition .
You generalize.

Not always so smart.

Just because you are low IQ doesn’t mean the average member is. 👍

“Trump Show” goes on …

as a speaker, trump is as rambling and disorganized as he is in real life. his self pity and victimization drip through the relentlessly "positive thinking" of his slurred adderall inspired blabber.

he seems to be a good salesman, if high pressure puffery works on you, you may believe his pitch.

Forum List

Back