How Historical Illiteracy Fuels Political Polarization

For your first two links, not every school takes the ACT or SAT. It is called self-selection bias and makes the data useless.

Unless all schools take the same test, that line of reasoning simply will not work. My son and his best friend who lived next door graduated one year apart from a public and private school respectively. They had comparable GPAs and my neighbor was a public school librarian. They took the SAT at exactly the same time and my son outscored her son by over 300 points, even though he was a year behind. I would never base my comparison on such anecdotal evidence. Why do you?

Your last link actually confirms what I said and disputes your reasoning. Did you bother reading it?

I only skimmed it, this is not a disagreement to invest a lot of time in. ;)

In that case, don't comment at all if all you are going to do is spread misinformation.

The Duke would not like that.

I'm not spreading any misinformation pilgrim. That parochial school children do better academically has been common knowledge across the USA all my life. It ain't rocket surgery baby.

Seriously. Are you a public school teacher? If so, I meant no slight, but them's the facts. For you to dispute that is rather odd.

No, you are just parroting what you have been told by people who enjoy bashing public schools.

For every private school that is good, there is another that commits larceny by stealing the opportunity for an education for children with unsuspecting parents.

I have had to teach kids coming into the public schools from both private schools and homeschooling. Without a doubt, they are the dumbest creatures that God has ever given breath to, and that is saying a lot!

Mhhm

That's why private school kids consistently score 150-200 points higher on SATs, right?

I'm not parroting what I've been told, I'm informing from real life experience and observation.

For your first two links, not every school takes the ACT or SAT. It is called self-selection bias and makes the data useless.

Unless all schools take the same test, that line of reasoning simply will not work. My son and his best friend who lived next door graduated one year apart from a public and private school respectively. They had comparable GPAs and my neighbor was a public school librarian. They took the SAT at exactly the same time and my son outscored her son by over 300 points, even though he was a year behind. I would never base my comparison on such anecdotal evidence. Why do you?

Your last link actually confirms what I said and disputes your reasoning. Did you bother reading it?

In that case, don't comment at all if all you are going to do is spread misinformation.

I'm not spreading any misinformation pilgrim. That parochial school children do better academically has been common knowledge across the USA all my life. It ain't rocket surgery baby.

Seriously. Are you a public school teacher? If so, I meant no slight, but them's the facts. For you to dispute that is rather odd.

No, you are just parroting what you have been told by people who enjoy bashing public schools.

For every private school that is good, there is another that commits larceny by stealing the opportunity for an education for children with unsuspecting parents.

I have had to teach kids coming into the public schools from both private schools and homeschooling. Without a doubt, they are the dumbest creatures that God has ever given breath to, and that is saying a lot!

Mhhm

That's why private school kids consistently score 150-200 points higher on SATs, right?

I'm not parroting what I've been told, I'm informing from real life experience and observation.

Kids who attend private schools are far more likely to elect to take the SAT than public school students. That is called self-selection bias. Unless you can do a direct comparison, everything else is meaningless.

Mhhm

Kids who attend private schools are far more likely to elect to take the SAT than public school students. That is called self-selection bias. Unless you can do a direct comparison, everything else is meaningless.

Why is that the case? By the way: More kids attend public school than private.

Mhhm

Parental involvement is one reason. They want to see if they are getting what they pay for. Give it to them free, and they will no longer care.

It is irrelevant how many kids attend public versus private if you are making the claim that private is better. You simply have no definitive way to state that without making an apples to oranges comparison.

Mhhm

Parental involvement is one reason. They want to see if they are getting what they pay for. Give it to them free, and they will no longer care.

It is irrelevant how many kids attend public versus private if you are making the claim that private is better. You simply have no definitive way to state that without making an apples to oranges comparison.

It's not "apples to oranges" I sure as hell hope you don't teach math. It's education to education. What do you teach?

It is amazing just how powerful and controlling the left has become, with their Orwellian scary group think. They hate "Hate",and conformism, but that is all liberals are about. Hate, controlling language and thought, free speech is their worst enemy.

Mhhm

It's not "apples to oranges" I sure as hell hope you don't teach math. It's education to education. What do you teach?

I teach lots of things, but right now it is geometry! I'm sorry but it is readily apparent that your knowledge of statistics is feeble at best. I also have a Master's degree in Education which required me to take an extensive course in educational statistics in addition to my required courses in order to be certified to teach math.

Please don't feel bad because your average American does not know the difference central tendencies and how each describes data, muck less understand how things work on a much larger scale..

Mhhm

I teach lots of things, but right now it is geometry! I'm sorry but it is readily apparent that your knowledge of statistics is feeble at best. I also have a Master's degree in Education which required me to take an extensive course in educational statistics in addition to my required courses in order to be certified to teach math.

Please don't feel bad because your average American does not know the difference central tendencies and how each describes data, muck less understand how things work on a much larger scale..

Well, geometry is... kind of like the foundation for other maths. I'm not a statistician by any means.

I do use geometry and physics at work, though.

So why is it you don't have a niche subject? Most teachers do.

Lots of good schools, public & private, parochial schools usually rate well, most problems seem to stem from schools wishing to foster a point of view over getting a good basic education. just my personal opinion.

Oh, here we go again with the FEAR THE NAZI, verbiage again. Hate to say this you hypocrite with 2 houses, Obama was more like Hitler and Trump will ever be.

Except Hitler didn't so half the things you attribute to him, and Obama didn't do that other half.

Hitler never bailed out the German Auto INdustry. He didn't need to.

Obama did because the fat cats in Detroit fucked it up.

hitler-donald-trump.jpg

Well, geometry is... kind of like the foundation for other maths. I'm not a statistician by any means.

I do use geometry and physics at work, though.

So why is it you don't have a niche subject? Most teachers do.

Actually, many teachers are certified in more than one subject. I have a degree in history, plus all of the coursework needed for a degree in math, but from two different universities. Plus I have a Master's in Educational Leadership. I also have extensive coursework in Physics, Chemistry, Geography, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I hold certifications in math and social studies at both the middle school and high school levels, and have taught in all of them.

I couldn't agree with this more. Leno, Waters and others made a killing with their man on the street videos showing the ignorance of, yes I will say it, the left. Millennials are especially naïve and guess what party they vote, so yes, I can say left.

Those that know history are doomed to watch society repeat the failures of the past.

Historical Illiteracy and Political Polarization — Acculterated

THe republicans are the party of evangelicals

THe people who think the world is 6,000 years old

On what fucking plant do you live on where you think conservatives are better informed than liberals? Fox news viewers are the least informed members of the public. Less than people who report watching no news. Now whether or not fox makes them ignorant or they attract stupid people I don't know. But it's an obvious pattern

putting aside education in IQ there is a huge gap between the average social conservative and social liberal...lol

I couldn't agree with this more. Leno, Waters and others made a killing with their man on the street videos showing the ignorance of, yes I will say it, the left. Millennials are especially naïve and guess what party they vote, so yes, I can say left.

Those that know history are doomed to watch society repeat the failures of the past.

On what fucking plant do you live on where you think conservatives are better informed than liberals? Fox news viewers are the least informed members of the public. Less than people who report watching no news. Now whether or not fox makes them ignorant or they attract stupid people I don't know. But it's an obvious pattern

putting aside education in IQ there is a huge gap between the average social conservative and social liberal...lol

You are right. Social liberals are insane.

I don't live on a plant, I live on a planet. Mostly I live on top of a concrete slab. :)

"For example, in a 2012 survey commissioned by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA), fewer than half (48%) of college graduates knew that George Washington was the American general at Yorktown; only 20% knew that James Madison was the “Father of the Constitution” (half thought it was Thomas Jefferson); only 17% knew what Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation actually said; and only 17% knew that the phrase “Government of the people, by the people, for the people” came from the Gettysburg Address (76% thought it came from either the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution).

Those numbers signify a broader dearth of historical, constitutional, and civic knowledge. In the same survey, only 42% of college graduates knew that the Battle of the Bulge occurred during World War II (half thought it occurred during the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, or World War I), and only 38% knew that U.S. senators serve six-year terms while House members serve two-year terms. In a more recent ACTA-commissioned survey, conducted in 2015, fewer than half (48.7%) of college graduates knew that presidential impeachment trials take place before the Senate, and even fewer (41.6 %) knew that proposed constitutional amendments must be ratified by three-quarters of the states to become law."

Yet they know all about gender identity and social justice! :lol: Lackeys in training.

"For example, in a 2012 survey commissioned by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA), fewer than half (48%) of college graduates knew that George Washington was the American general at Yorktown; only 20% knew that James Madison was the “Father of the Constitution” (half thought it was Thomas Jefferson); only 17% knew what Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation actually said; and only 17% knew that the phrase “Government of the people, by the people, for the people” came from the Gettysburg Address (76% thought it came from either the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution).

Those numbers signify a broader dearth of historical, constitutional, and civic knowledge. In the same survey, only 42% of college graduates knew that the Battle of the Bulge occurred during World War II (half thought it occurred during the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, or World War I), and only 38% knew that U.S. senators serve six-year terms while House members serve two-year terms. In a more recent ACTA-commissioned survey, conducted in 2015, fewer than half (48.7%) of college graduates knew that presidential impeachment trials take place before the Senate, and even fewer (41.6 %) knew that proposed constitutional amendments must be ratified by three-quarters of the states to become law."

Yet they know all about gender identity and social justice! :lol: Lackeys in training.

Majoring in Social Justice studies. :badgrin: I don't know if that's a real course or not, sounds good! :alcoholic:

I don't live on a plant, I live on a planet. Mostly I live on top of a concrete slab. :)

No, we live on a giant turtle in the sky. :)

World Turtle - Wikipedia

dabfc7e57608dd62e71deaae6793c49d.jpg

You loons on the left think history is only 100 years when it comes to climate science.

Just sayin'.

You loons on the left think history is only 100 years when it comes to climate science.

Just sayin'.

The fact you think that the left's overconfidence about climate change is analogous to the delusion of your average right winger is just mind boggling...

Millions of creationists on your side, 6,000 year old earth

Just sayin'.

The fact you think that the left's overconfidence about climate change is analogous to the delusion of your average right winger is just mind boggling...

Millions of creationists on your side, 6,000 year old earth

The average conservative does not believe the earth is only 6,000 years old.

But the average Lefty is unable to grok that climate change has happened for millions of years.

Moron.

Forum List

Back