How FDR Made My Generation Lazy And Entitled...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Dec 24, 2011.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Very good article on 'Generation Gimme' by College Student Celia Bigelow.

As young people head home for the holidays, they’re bracing for unsolicited advice and stories from their elders about how life used to require hard work and how young generations have an entitlement mentality.

It’s time my generation listens up, though ironically it was our grandparents’ generation that generated that sense of entitlement.

I grew up in a lower-middle-class family in a wealthy suburb of Detroit, Michigan (yes, they exist). Money became a major concern after my parents split when I was in second grade. My mother and I moved into a cramped, one-floor house in a low-income area, where she worked extremely hard so I could enjoy our wonderful public school system.

My mother was tough on me starting at an early age. I had to work hard for the simple things in life — clothes, treats, toys, etc. When I was too young to get a job, I did chores around the house to earn a $5 weekly salary. This empowered me to save money to buy toys and do fun activities with friends. However, this was not how most families in my city operated. My acquaintances enjoyed much more luxurious lifestyles than I did, and they didn’t have to work a single minute for it. This didn’t sit well with me.

It hit me much harder in high school. Most of the cars in my high school’s student parking lot were worth over $50,000 — more than any car in the teachers’ lot was worth. What is even more pathetic is that while mommy and daddy were writing the checks to pay for these vehicles, their children were doing drugs.

America has a culture problem, and I think the cause of that problem is Big Government. Entitlement programs have taken away the sense of personal responsibility that Americans used to have. Now, Americans don’t worry about the future because they think that the government has their backs. Americans have lost the ability to govern themselves.

It’s difficult to teach the masses how to govern themselves when they have grown up in a society that fosters a sense of entitlement. It’s even more difficult to teach self-government when Big Government continues to turn Americans against one another: the poor and the middle class against the big,bad rich folks.

Read more: FDR | Entitlements | How FDR made my generation lazy and entitled | The Daily Caller

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Umm I think the American parents and society had more to do with your being worthless than FDR did.
    But blame whomever you want to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    The entitlement culture is a huge part of what is wrong today. That's why it is so critical to teach our children to be accountable and not stand around pointing fingers at others for their own fuckups and/or inadequacies. Difficult to do with what they see around them, and with the progressives brainwashing them at school, but that's why it is so important to spend time with them and not rely on others to raise them.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Excellent post. Nothing at all is counterproductive. It is important to teach the value of work at an early age too, and without compensation, for it.

[​IMG]

5. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    A lost art

6. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Yes, it would be horrible if American workers, who have consistently produced >24% of the world's wealth since the 1950s, felt that they were 'entitled' to wealth in proportion to their productivity!

The crime lay in the inequality of wealth distribution in the private sector - nothing sort of thievery.

It is a shame that government has to be used as a mechanism to, in some small way, compensate for this obscenity.

So the 'wealthy' shouldn't complain, because if wealth were distributed in accordance with productivity, most of them wouldn't have a pot to shit in!

7. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    And here's what happens when you stand around pointing fingers at others for your own fuckups and/or inadequacies.

8. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Sure, being a productive worker means being a fuck up and inadequate, right?

We're all supposed to be stock brokers, businessmen or executives?

That'd work real well!

9. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Good work ethics are indeed becoming alien.

10. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    You know, I can't blame FDR. It was the people themselves, not him. This area was particularly hard hit by the Great Depression. If it were not for some of his programs then, people now would still be starving. At least here. Because of KY Dam and KY Lake and the TVA, my dad (and lots of others) had regular WORK. And getting people WORK was the point of it all. My dad got laid off once, and wouldn't even sign up for unemployment compensation because to him it was 'a handout.' So, the values that were changed were changed by the people themselves!

And because of KY Dam and KY Lake I have a beautiful place to live now that I am old.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011