How FDR Made My Generation Lazy And Entitled...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Very good article on 'Generation Gimme' by College Student Celia Bigelow.

As young people head home for the holidays, they’re bracing for unsolicited advice and stories from their elders about how life used to require hard work and how young generations have an entitlement mentality.

It’s time my generation listens up, though ironically it was our grandparents’ generation that generated that sense of entitlement.

I grew up in a lower-middle-class family in a wealthy suburb of Detroit, Michigan (yes, they exist). Money became a major concern after my parents split when I was in second grade. My mother and I moved into a cramped, one-floor house in a low-income area, where she worked extremely hard so I could enjoy our wonderful public school system.

My mother was tough on me starting at an early age. I had to work hard for the simple things in life — clothes, treats, toys, etc. When I was too young to get a job, I did chores around the house to earn a $5 weekly salary. This empowered me to save money to buy toys and do fun activities with friends. However, this was not how most families in my city operated. My acquaintances enjoyed much more luxurious lifestyles than I did, and they didn’t have to work a single minute for it. This didn’t sit well with me.

It hit me much harder in high school. Most of the cars in my high school’s student parking lot were worth over $50,000 — more than any car in the teachers’ lot was worth. What is even more pathetic is that while mommy and daddy were writing the checks to pay for these vehicles, their children were doing drugs.

America has a culture problem, and I think the cause of that problem is Big Government. Entitlement programs have taken away the sense of personal responsibility that Americans used to have. Now, Americans don’t worry about the future because they think that the government has their backs. Americans have lost the ability to govern themselves.

It’s difficult to teach the masses how to govern themselves when they have grown up in a society that fosters a sense of entitlement. It’s even more difficult to teach self-government when Big Government continues to turn Americans against one another: the poor and the middle class against the big,bad rich folks.

Read more: FDR | Entitlements | How FDR made my generation lazy and entitled | The Daily Caller

Umm I think the American parents and society had more to do with your being worthless than FDR did.
But blame whomever you want to.

The entitlement culture is a huge part of what is wrong today. That's why it is so critical to teach our children to be accountable and not stand around pointing fingers at others for their own fuckups and/or inadequacies. Difficult to do with what they see around them, and with the progressives brainwashing them at school, but that's why it is so important to spend time with them and not rely on others to raise them.

The entitlement culture is a huge part of what is wrong today. That's why it is so critical to teach our children to be accountable and not stand around pointing fingers at others for their own fuckups and/or inadequacies. Difficult to do with what they see around them, and with the progressives brainwashing them at school, but that's why it is so important to spend time with them and not rely on others to raise them.

Excellent post. Nothing at all is counterproductive. It is important to teach the value of work at an early age too, and without compensation, for it.

imagesCA7H5Z35.jpg

Yes, it would be horrible if American workers, who have consistently produced >24% of the world's wealth since the 1950s, felt that they were 'entitled' to wealth in proportion to their productivity!

The crime lay in the inequality of wealth distribution in the private sector - nothing sort of thievery.

It is a shame that government has to be used as a mechanism to, in some small way, compensate for this obscenity.

So the 'wealthy' shouldn't complain, because if wealth were distributed in accordance with productivity, most of them wouldn't have a pot to shit in!

Yes, it would be horrible if American workers, who have consistently produced >24% of the world's wealth since the 1950s, felt that they were 'entitled' to wealth in proportion to their productivity!

The crime lay in the inequality of wealth distribution in the private sector - nothing sort of thievery.

It is a shame that government has to be used as a mechanism to, in some small way, compensate for this obscenity.

So the 'wealthy' shouldn't complain, because if wealth were distributed in accordance with productivity, most of them wouldn't have a pot to shit in!

And here's what happens when you stand around pointing fingers at others for your own fuckups and/or inadequacies.

And here's what happens when you stand around pointing fingers at others for your own fuckups and/or inadequacies.

Sure, being a productive worker means being a fuck up and inadequate, right?

We're all supposed to be stock brokers, businessmen or executives?

That'd work real well!

Excellent post. Nothing at all is counterproductive. It is important to teach the value of work at an early age too, and without compensation, for it.

imagesCA7H5Z35.jpg
Good work ethics are indeed becoming alien.

As young people head home for the holidays, they’re bracing for unsolicited advice and stories from their elders about how life used to require hard work and how young generations have an entitlement mentality.

It’s time my generation listens up, though ironically it was our grandparents’ generation that generated that sense of entitlement.

I grew up in a lower-middle-class family in a wealthy suburb of Detroit, Michigan (yes, they exist). Money became a major concern after my parents split when I was in second grade. My mother and I moved into a cramped, one-floor house in a low-income area, where she worked extremely hard so I could enjoy our wonderful public school system.

My mother was tough on me starting at an early age. I had to work hard for the simple things in life — clothes, treats, toys, etc. When I was too young to get a job, I did chores around the house to earn a $5 weekly salary. This empowered me to save money to buy toys and do fun activities with friends. However, this was not how most families in my city operated. My acquaintances enjoyed much more luxurious lifestyles than I did, and they didn’t have to work a single minute for it. This didn’t sit well with me.

It hit me much harder in high school. Most of the cars in my high school’s student parking lot were worth over $50,000 — more than any car in the teachers’ lot was worth. What is even more pathetic is that while mommy and daddy were writing the checks to pay for these vehicles, their children were doing drugs.

America has a culture problem, and I think the cause of that problem is Big Government. Entitlement programs have taken away the sense of personal responsibility that Americans used to have. Now, Americans don’t worry about the future because they think that the government has their backs. Americans have lost the ability to govern themselves.

It’s difficult to teach the masses how to govern themselves when they have grown up in a society that fosters a sense of entitlement. It’s even more difficult to teach self-government when Big Government continues to turn Americans against one another: the poor and the middle class against the big,bad rich folks.

Read more: FDR | Entitlements | How FDR made my generation lazy and entitled | The Daily Caller

You know, I can't blame FDR. It was the people themselves, not him. This area was particularly hard hit by the Great Depression. If it were not for some of his programs then, people now would still be starving. At least here. Because of KY Dam and KY Lake and the TVA, my dad (and lots of others) had regular WORK. And getting people WORK was the point of it all. My dad got laid off once, and wouldn't even sign up for unemployment compensation because to him it was 'a handout.' So, the values that were changed were changed by the people themselves!

And because of KY Dam and KY Lake I have a beautiful place to live now that I am old.

Last edited:

That'd work real well!

No, the less stock brokers and executives in the world the better imo. Crying that I deserve more or they deserve less, would be the standing around pointing fingers that I'm referring too.

That'd work real well!

No, the less stock brokers and executives in the world the better imo. Crying that I deserve more or they deserve less, would be the standing around pointing fingers that I'm referring too.
Instead of changin thier individual circumstances. Statists cannot seem to remove the Government training wheels off thier bikes.

The entitlement culture is a huge part of what is wrong today. That's why it is so critical to teach our children to be accountable and not stand around pointing fingers at others for their own fuckups and/or inadequacies.

Are you sure we can't just blame FDR?

The entitlement culture is a huge part of what is wrong today. That's why it is so critical to teach our children to be accountable and not stand around pointing fingers at others for their own fuckups and/or inadequacies.

Are you sure we can't just blame FDR?

lol be easier wouldn't it.

Yep. And my wife sees it everyday in the schools. Parents want to blame teachers for their kids being fuck-ups in school.

Just think how drastic education would improve if parents actually took even a small interest in their kid's education rather than view school as a babysitting place.

Bullshit. Values are taught at home, plain and simple.

The Republican mantra is always Blame the Poor.

What's interesting to me is that I have been around a long time, and I have never met any of these "lazy" people the Republicans keep talking about.

Everyone I know wants a decent job to take care of their family.

And FDR brought in SS so old people wouldn't have to live in poverty.

The richest country in the world should be able to take care of the old and sick.

It's the right thing to do.

But modern day conservatism is the political codification of selfishness.

Last edited:

What's interesting to me is that I have been around a long time, and I have never met any of these "lazy" people the Republicans keep talking about.

The richest country in the world should be able to take care of the old and sick.

Yes, everything is because of those evil conservatives.:eusa_boohoo:

Fuckin' idiot, this shouldn't even be political.

The 'poor' are that way for a reason. Couldn't be life choices...nah...

Did you just blame progressives brainwashing kids while pretending to advocate for taking personal responsibility for kids actions?

Irony :lol:

Forum List

Back