How far will we allow Computer AI Systems to go?

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I think about the movie Alien and the AI system onboard the Nostromo. The Mother AI system told the crew they were expendable, and that the primary goal was the return of the Alien species back to Earth, for the weapons division of Yutani Weyland Corp. My question. How far are we in the United States, going to allow this AI system to go in the Future?!. Your thoughts.?

I think about the movie Alien and the AI system onboard the Nostromo. The Mother AI system told the crew they were expendable, and that the primary goal was the return of the Alien species back to Earth, for the weapons division of Yutani Weyland Corp. My question. How far are we in the United States, going to allow this AI system to go in the Future?!. Your thoughts.?

It is a technology that is not that much different than say Windows. You used to have to know a little something about computers to use one and now any idiot can point and click. Other than that, it will just give us another way to dick off at work.

You should think instead of movies like Terminator 3 and Colossus: The Forbin Project.

You should think instead of movies like Terminator 3 and Colossus: The Forbin Project.
When people like Musk are sounding the alarm, I tend to listen. What makes this technology a threat is the fact that once it is given free rein to learn, it will quickly outstrip humanity's ability to stop it.

As a specie, we are smarter than monkeys, but if you look back, were really aren't too bright.
We'll probably go all the way.

and then

AI is a tool....just a bunch of programs running simultaneously that accesses a database. (Search engine, display, OCR, and etc)

So....
The tool will go through the revisions making it faster and more reliable...*more limitations too).

But the truly expensive part is the dedicated database....

AI can't tell the difference between the truth or a lie...can't determine if the truth has been stretched.

Hal 9000 from 2001

Mycroft from "the moon is a harsh mistress"

V'ger from the original star trek the motion picture.

More recently the computer from the "portals" and "bloodrayne" video games.

Been done to death. If we haven't figured out its a bad idea by now we ain't gonna.

When people like Musk are sounding the alarm, I tend to listen. What makes this technology a threat is the fact that once it is given free rein to learn, it will quickly outstrip humanity's ability to stop it.
Musk is a moron. If he's "sounding the alarm" we're probably gonna be fine.

These AI systems have no sense of Human morals. No human emotions. What , and how will they be used in the future?. Is the U.S. government monitoring their use , and how Corporations are using these AI computer systems?!!

These AI systems have no sense of Human morals. No human emotions. What , and how will they be used in the future?. Is the U.S. government monitoring their use , and how Corporations are using these AI computer systems?!!
They also can't tell when they are being lied to.

Screenshot 09-27-2023 16.25.24.png

Last edited:
They also can't tell when they are being lied to.
At the moment, they're too busy lying when they do not have a good answer. I can get ChatGPT AI to lie in a few minutes.

Mankind has never learned when to stop.
Compare AI to how far we went producing bombs.
The largest bomb ever created was by Russia. It had the power of approx. 3,800 Hiroshima bombs.
If dropped on NYC - it would flatten the entire city, as well as all communities within 30 miles of the city.

The same will happen with A.I.
All intelligent forms have survival instincts. And so does A.I.
It will do whatever it believes is necessary to stay alive. An example would be it would create a program that if it's electricity is shut off, it would set off nuclear bombs. That sounds like a joke. But it is possible.
The moment it is given the internet, is the moment it would have access to everything. Everything.
And since it's coding skills would be extremely more advanced than humans - it could hack anything, set up testing programs to learn how to hack something. And then do it.

We have yet to achieve actual AI artificial intelligence.

What people are getting their collective knickers in a twist about is simply clever HUMAN programming.

We will know AI has arrived the first time a computer kills itself because it thinks it's too fat.
imho most folks got sense and we mind our own business. This thread is filled w/ a bunch of doom'n'gloom movie goers all screaming "ain't it awful".

Artificial intelligence is to intelligence what artificial flowers are to flowers. Try giving ur date a bouquet of artificial flowers and watch her suddenly get a headache that calls off the date.

Forum List

Back