How far will we allow Computer AI Systems to go?

c2a01adff2d3e29fe20c100df000dff8.jpg

To be fair, the Russians never actually dropped it.

That could be because they never possessed a missile or strategic bomber that could carry it.
It wasn't made to be an actual weapon. It was made to propagandize Russia's military.
The one they tested only had half the power of the real Tsar Boomba.
But the point being, before the nuclear race ended - Russia did indeed make a bomb that would completely flatten 32 square miles, with a devastation area of about 65 square miles.
Of course that is childs play compared to what would actually happen in a full on nuclear war, because both sides would send multiple smaller bombs that, together, are far more powerful than the Tsar.

AI systems should always have humans monitoring them. Especially if they are in control of resources such as food and clean drinking water, needed for human survival.

AI has gone too far as it is. Try calling any big business, or the government. Their telephone systems are using AI to hang up on you. I used to be able to call VZW when I had a problem, now I have to go to an actual store, because getting in touch with a human is impossible. I have tried for years. It always hangs up on me. Calling the state of New York isnt much better, its actually questionable whether the telephone system is smarter than the human at the end of that maze.

How long before AI is making medical decisions? And who is to say its not already happening. Look at the advancements with Siri, alexa and the like. The 'always on always listening' devices, and any device that can connect to the internet is guilty. Why does your new TV need a 100 page TOS, AUP and Privacy Policy? Because its recording everything that happens with in ear shot, and in some cases, everything in front of the TV.

You can no longer have a reasonable private conversation with out going into a SCIF due to all the technology and its always on, always listening. AI is running these 'simple' platforms. Google has invested heavily into AI. There again, try talking to a human at Google or facebook! Its all AI. And google has the potential to put you out of business if you get blacklisted by google. And dont think getting blacklisted means you must have done something awful - small businesses get blacklisted all the time on google for no reason, and getting it fixed is a nightmare.

I would post a link but am too new, but there have been cases, especially during covid where parents were being black listed by google for sending photos of their sick kid to their doctors, at the doctors request. Its only a few people caught in the net so who cares! Until it happens to you!

AI could have been a great thing for humanity. Instead its been used to exploit humans for profit. After all at the end of the day the whole goal of AI is to eliminate the human component.

I think about the movie Alien and the AI system onboard the Nostromo. The Mother AI system told the crew they were expendable, and that the primary goal was the return of the Alien species back to Earth, for the weapons division of Yutani Weyland Corp. My question. How far are we in the United States, going to allow this AI system to go in the Future?!. Your thoughts.?
Before humans realise how far that point is, AI will have gone too far, and thus we will then know when that point was passed.

When people like Musk are sounding the alarm, I tend to listen. What makes this technology a threat is the fact that once it is given free rein to learn, it will quickly outstrip humanity's ability to stop it.

Does not work that way at all.
All the AI software does is take away the drudgery of human trial and error.
The methods, goals, and means of evaluation are all hand coded by human programmers.
Computer cannot and never will be able to actually "learn" anything, since they have no idea what anything in the real world is.

What?
Of course it can, it also knows when it has lied.
Keep up.

No, computers have no understanding of anything in the real world, so would not begin to know what a lie even was.
All that computers can do is use linguistic and semantic algorithms to parse out sentences in to nouns, verbs and other parts of speech.
But they have no understanding or what anything means.

Mankind has never learned when to stop.
Compare AI to how far we went producing bombs.
The largest bomb ever created was by Russia. It had the power of approx. 3,800 Hiroshima bombs.
If dropped on NYC - it would flatten the entire city, as well as all communities within 30 miles of the city.

The same will happen with A.I.
All intelligent forms have survival instincts. And so does A.I.
It will do whatever it believes is necessary to stay alive. An example would be it would create a program that if it's electricity is shut off, it would set off nuclear bombs. That sounds like a joke. But it is possible.
The moment it is given the internet, is the moment it would have access to everything. Everything.
And since it's coding skills would be extremely more advanced than humans - it could hack anything, set up testing programs to learn how to hack something. And then do it.

No, that is the kicker, that AI has absolutely no instincts at all, since those are only produced by a process of evolution.
There is no way any computer program could understand what the difference was between being run and being terminated.

imho most folks got sense and we mind our own business. This thread is filled w/ a bunch of doom'n'gloom movie goers all screaming "ain't it awful".

Artificial intelligence is to intelligence what artificial flowers are to flowers. Try giving ur date a bouquet of artificial flowers and watch her suddenly get a headache that calls off the date.

Agreed.
It is not real intelligence, but artificial, which means just a simulation of fake intelligence, by a clever programmer.

I think about the movie Alien and the AI system onboard the Nostromo. The Mother AI system told the crew they were expendable, and that the primary goal was the return of the Alien species back to Earth, for the weapons division of Yutani Weyland Corp. My question. How far are we in the United States, going to allow this AI system to go in the Future?!. Your thoughts.?
we in the usa will have very little to say about it. an ai can not be stopped by an ocean or a wall., and if the plug is in wuhan or amritsar it is a little hard to pull. ....

To be fair, the Russians never actually dropped it.

That could be because they never possessed a missile or strategic bomber that could carry it.

Russia has by far the largest and most powerful missiles in the whole world.

AI is a stupid soundbite to sell news stories. Pure sci fi fantasy.

There are no conscious sentient thinking machines.

We can't even explain our own conciousness let alone develop one.

Agreed.
It is not real intelligence, but artificial, which means just a simulation of fake intelligence, by a clever programmer.
Useful tho, but it's like the sewing machines that Ludd was crusading against. Some people will always prefer doom'n'gloom.

The only possible way AI can go too far is if it has robots to meet it's needs and be self sufficient.

An AI is completely and utterly dependent on humans. to kill us would be to kill itself because we wouldn't be here to maintain it's hardware and supply it with power.

If an AI goes rogue you just shut off it's power.

Sure it could escape into the internet and imbed itself across all systems kind of like Blockchain but it's still dependent on us completely.

There is no denying that Artificial Intelligence has changed our lives and will continue to do so.. However, some might argue it’s for the better and some with argue it will destroy us. The fact is AI is not a replacement for human intelligence but an extension. The fear of AI reminds me of the fear of automation in mid 20th century.

Customer Service is one area that could certainly benefit from AI. As one superviosor in Customer Service says, "Business spents billion on customer service and customers have come hate it, long waits to speak to people who don't solve the problem. The average customer support employees lasted only 18 months. 25% leave within 3 months of being trained. AI has the potential of solving customer problems faster at a fraction of the cost of the the large customer support centers.

It is a technology that is not that much different than say Windows. You used to have to know a little something about computers to use one and now any idiot can point and click. Other than that, it will just give us another way to dick off at work.
AI is a system of programs written by humans. Those programs have the ability to create and modify programs based on events that are occurring and vast amounts of stored data. The most sophisticated AI system does not come close to duplicating human intelligence.

It is a technology that is not that much different than say Windows. You used to have to know a little something about computers to use one and now any idiot can point and click. Other than that, it will just give us another way to dick off at work.
I think AI gets a bad rap, primary because we ignore AI in everyday.

You are so right. We like AI but we don't like the name because of all the bad publicity, Killer robots destroying the earth, fear mongers predicting massive job losses, and politicians trying to create a solution for an undefined problem.

Tale a look at just a few AI applications.

Facial recognition which is far more secure than pin number and passwords makes it easier to use our cellphones, makes ordering from Kiosk easier and faster, and is now making air travel faster and safer.

Email messaging is becoming a lot easer with spell checking, grammar tools and even tools that will rewrite your emails to make them more understandable.

Google couldn’t scan the entire internet and deliver what you want without the assistance of artificial intelligence.

Siri and and Alexa to Google Home and Cortana, use natural language processing and generators driven by AI to return answers to you. AI is critical to their functionality.

Smart boxes are making our homes smarter. Many of us now have "smart" thermostats such as the Nest that learn about our heating/cooling preferences and daily habits to adjust the temperature to our liking in time for our return home. There are smart refrigerators that create lists for what you need based on what's no longer is in your fridge, as well as offering wine recommendations that would go with your dinner. Of course, smart appliances will continue to be more common.

Travel aids enabled by artificial intelligence include more than maps. Google maps and other travel apps use AI to monitor traffic to give you real-time traffic and weather conditions as well as suggest ways to avoid gridlock. The car you drive to work might have driver-assist technology that makes driving safer and easier.

In Banking, there are many ways artificial intelligence is deployed in our banking system. It's highly involved in the security of our transactions and to detect fraud. If you deposit a check by scanning it with your phone, get a low-balance alert, or even log on to your online banking account, AI is at work behind the scenes. If you visit a shop at lunch and purchase a new pair of pants, artificial intelligence can verify he purchase to determine if it's a "normal" transaction to either validate, decline the transaction, or notify account holder for fear someone unauthorized is using your credit card.

In Airline travel, AI is being used in ticking, scanning passenger lists, and pilot preflight check lists that make flying safer, faster, and more efficient.

Forum List

Back