How do you thaw frozen foods for prep?

How do you thaw frozen foods like meats?

• Run under hot water in the sink

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Most times I let it sit out. If I need it thawed faster I'll run it under hot water. I NEVER defrost in the microwave.

The slowest but the safest way is in the refrigerator where bacteria won't grow if you leave it out too long. Meat after its thawed, I leave out to bring it up to room temperature before cooking which allows it to cook more evenly.

Agree with nuhuh; leave it in the fridge though I don't necessarily let it sit out to warm up a bit. Microwaving also works for chook but I don't use it much. Oh: that reminds me.

Greg

The slowest but the safest way is in the refrigerator where bacteria won't grow if you leave it out too long. Meat after its thawed, I leave out to bring it up to room temperature before cooking which allows it to cook more evenly.

That is true, but I never do it long enough in advance. When I let meat sit out I always keep it in plastic wrap, so I'm not that worried about bacteria.

That all requires planning ahead, which is ... I dunno, some kind of perversion.

I have no patience. I just start cooking and endure the extra time it takes. Won't use a microwave.

My husband never tells me what he's in the mood for for dinner until the very last minute, so, I have no choice but to use the microwave.....

On rare occasions if I can get him to commit to the next days meal, I leave it in the refrigerator to defrost...

Most recent model microwaves have a low setting which is designed for safely thawing meats...

... check with the manufacturer for types of meats and times.

well we've never gotten sick, and I don't COMPLETELY thaw it... e.g. with chicken, just enough to soften it up then just let it sit out while I do the other prep work for the meal....

Forum List

Back