How do you feel about known gays/lesbians as teachers...

...in the K-12 school system? Should they be banned or accepted in the K-12 program of education? Do you believe that there is discrimination towards the LGBT community in general? Just curious here as the military seems to be dropping it's long held reservation about accepting people into their ranks that are known to be in the alternative lifestyles. Does the military acceptance of queers/lesbians make those in the alternative lifestyles more acceptable to you?

We've all had them......

The gay art teacher, or the lesbian volleyball coach.
We just didn't talk about it openly back then.

People are free to follow whatever career path they choose... homosexuals are not a predatory group for children...

BUT... that being said.. if teachers are prevented from sharing beliefs in religion and the associated lifestyle, etc... they should then also be prevented from sharing beliefs in this lifestyle... you don't get your cake and eat it too

Except for the fact that teachers are NOT prevented from sharing their religious beliefs. A teacher who tells the class they are Jewish or Catholic or Buddhist, etc. don't lose their jobs.

Yes.. they are...

nice try... that is announcing a title in terms of belief...

They are not allowed to state that their way is right (like gays try and state their opinion)... they are not allowed to offer their theories (as gays try and do)... and they are not allowed to offer political opinions about their beliefs (as gays try and do)...

Nice try... you don't get your cake and eat it too... IMHO the homosexual teachers would have to be as silent about all aspects of their belief and lifestyle as the religious teachers are forced to be

No, a gay teacher should have to be as "silent" as heterosexual teachers.

Teachers do not have to be "silent" about their religion at all. They are perfectly free, and within the bounds of separation of church and state, to declare their religion.

People are free to follow whatever career path they choose... homosexuals are not a predatory group for children...

BUT... that being said.. if teachers are prevented from sharing beliefs in religion and the associated lifestyle, etc... they should then also be prevented from sharing beliefs in this lifestyle... you don't get your cake and eat it too

Except for the fact that teachers are NOT prevented from sharing their religious beliefs. A teacher who tells the class they are Jewish or Catholic or Buddhist, etc. don't lose their jobs.
Who do you think is going to lose their job about being gay?

People already DO. There are no federal protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation so it all depends on where you live.

What does marriage have to do with anything I said?

And, no, I didn't know if my teachers were married or not. They were too busy talking about history, math, English, science, etc.

If they are married to someone, it makes it a lot easier to know if they are straight or gay. I knew which of my teachers was straight and which ones were gay. It did not effect my ability to learn in any way. (or my ability to rhyme, apparently :D )

how? did they stand up in front of the class one day and say "i'm ms. smith and i'm gay."?

or do you just have superior instincts when it comes to other people's sexual preferences?

:eusa_shhh:

Small town.

Who do you think is going to lose their job about being gay?

People already DO. There are no federal protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation so it all depends on where you live.
Interesting. I was just at the EEOC site, and you are right. If you work for the federal government, you are protected. And, as you said, some local governments protect from discrimination based on sexual orientation.

IMO, sexual orientation should also be included in federal labor regulations.

Thanks for the heads-up on that detail - not so minor.

What dfference would a homosexual have in the classroom that a heterosexual does not? I would assume neither brings their private life of sex in the classroom. Both are capable of being good teachers if that is their calling.

...orientation/lifestyle of their choice. I actually support the LGBT community to be what they desire to be. I was just asking for others opinions.

I thought you people were supposed to be teaching your kids not to be afraid of gay people so what does it matter if a teacher is gay?

Yes.. they are...

nice try... that is announcing a title in terms of belief...

They are not allowed to state that their way is right (like gays try and state their opinion)... they are not allowed to offer their theories (as gays try and do)... and they are not allowed to offer political opinions about their beliefs (as gays try and do)...

Nice try... you don't get your cake and eat it too... IMHO the homosexual teachers would have to be as silent about all aspects of their belief and lifestyle as the religious teachers are forced to be

No, a gay teacher should have to be as "silent" as heterosexual teachers.

Teachers do not have to be "silent" about their religion at all. They are perfectly free, and within the bounds of separation of church and state, to declare their religion.

Not so in the classroom. Indoctrination is a no-no. Silence is golden.

If the teacher is a dedicated teacher and is there to educate, I personally could care less what their sexual orientation is. In fact your will find bad teachers in all walks of life regardless of the fact they are gay or lesbian and the converse is true is well, so perhaps the best thing to do is concentrate on finding the good one's. As far as private life in the classroom goes, I would not expect a person who is gay/lesbian/hetro, whatever to bring that into a classroom when they are there to educate and if they spend more time doing so rather than what they are there for, then find other teachers willing to educate. It's a sad fact in this nation that our educational system is failing and falling behind other nations at a rapid pace because we seem to be more worried about social issues in the classroom rather than proving our young people with a quality education that will allow our nation to compete.

If the teacher is a dedicated teacher and is there to educate, I personally could care less what their sexual orientation is. In fact your will find bad teachers in all walks of life regardless of the fact they are gay or lesbian and the converse is true is well, so perhaps the best thing to do is concentrate on finding the good one's. As far as private life in the classroom goes, I would not expect a person who is gay/lesbian/hetro, whatever to bring that into a classroom when they are there to educate and if they spend more time doing so rather than what they are there for, then find other teachers willing to educate. It's a sad fact in this nation that our educational system is failing and falling behind other nations at a rapid pace because we seem to be more worried about social issues in the classroom rather than proving our young people with a quality education that will allow our nation to compete.

Wow!

What does marriage have to do with anything I said?

And, no, I didn't know if my teachers were married or not. They were too busy talking about history, math, English, science, etc.

The name Mrs. Humphrey or Miss Jenkins didn't tip it off?
:eusa_eh:
Asked and answered at least twice already.

Musta missed it.....sorry
:D
(jus' yanking your chain anyway)

Re: OP
I couldn't care less

Forum List

Back