How Do Native Americans Observe Thanksgiving?...

New England tribes already had autumn harvest feasts of thanksgiving

Do the observe this day of thanks?
Some do, many tribes have been inter-breeding with Europeans and follow Thanksgiving Day American style...

Because a true Indian would never celebrate thanksgiving....

How do white people celebrate cinco de mayo? Think about that for a moment.

We drink and throw a Mexican themed party. The last one I went to had a piñata stuffed with airplane bottles of booze.

A serious question. If anyone here has some personal insight on this, feel free to enlighten us. I'm not trying to be divisive, i just think it would be interesting hearing Native Americans' take on Thanksgiving. Thanks.
Who cares? Only self hating Caucasians. Nothing to see here..

Come on now. That's pretty hateful. Don't ya think?
No. Its the truth. Self loathing guilt ridden Caucasian liberals are responsible for 90% of the bitching and moaning

Some do, many tribes have been inter-breeding with Europeans and follow Thanksgiving Day American style...

Because a true Indian would never celebrate thanksgiving....

How do white people celebrate cinco de mayo? Think about that for a moment.
I do it with shots of tequila...

Do you know any Native Americans personally? Not attacking you, just curious.
Well my Dad and Grandmother were Cherokee...and I live on the border of the Indian nation.. My aunts are Cherokee but they are no longer alive, same with my Grandmother.....

They won't say it but injuns are very thankful the white man came . Before that they were just savages eating bugs and living in caves and dying at 32. Now they all go on the white man's welfare and have everything given to them.
The Cherokees in the East before the Trail of tears had farms, villages and their own language....They were one of the five civilized tribes....So you are incorrect..But,,grubs are a high protein food source...

A serious question. If anyone here has some personal insight on this, feel free to enlighten us. I'm not trying to be divisive, i just think it would be interesting hearing Native Americans' take on Thanksgiving. Thanks.
Who cares? Only self hating Caucasians. Nothing to see here..

Come on now. That's pretty hateful. Don't ya think?
No. Its the truth. Self loathing guilt ridden Caucasian liberals are responsible for 90% of the bitching and moaning
So you are a liberal, 'cause you're the only hater posting here today....

The Cherokees in the East before the Trail of tears had farms, villages and their own language....They were one of the five civilized tribes....So you are incorrect..But,,grubs are a high protein food source...

Well of course they had a language. But not a written one. No north american tribe did. And very few central or south american tribes did. Even the supposedly advanced incas did not have a written language. They were true savages and the coming of the white man was the best thing that ever happened to the injuns.

Well of course they had a language. But not a written one. No north american tribe did. And very few central or south american tribes did. Even the supposedly advanced incas did not have a written language. They were true savages and the coming of the white man was the best thing that ever happened to the injuns.
cherokee-alphabet.jpg

Well my Dad and Grandmother were Cherokee...and I live on the border of the Indian nation.. My aunts are Cherokee but they are no longer alive, same with my Grandmother.....

You mean real cherokee.? America has millions of 100% white people who claim they are indian to get all the special treatment that comes with being in one of the protected classes.

cherokee-alphabet.jpg

The board is talking about indians BEFORE the white man came. Of course some of them developed a written language after the yurpeens showed them how.

You mean real cherokee.? America has millions of 100% white people who claim they are indian to get all the special treatment that comes with being in one of the protected classes.
The only way you can get anything is to prove lineage to the Dawes Rolls in the later 1800's....

cherokee-alphabet.jpg

The board is talking about indians BEFORE the white man came. Of course some of them developed a written language after the yurpeens showed them how.

The Cherokee syllabary was invented by George Guess/Gist, a.k.a. Chief Sequoyah, of the Cherokee, and was developed between 1809 and 1824. At first Sequoyah experimented with a writing system based on logograms, but found this cumbersome and unsuitable for Cherokee. He later developed a syllabary which was originally cursive and hand-written, but it was too difficult and expensive to produce a printed version, so he devised a new version with symbols based on letters from the Latin alphabet and Western numerals.

The development of writing is counted among the many achievements and innovations of pre-Columbian American cultures. Independent from the development of writing in other areas of the world, the Mesoamerican region produced several indigenous writing systems beginning in the 1st millennium BCE. What may be the earliest-known example in the Americas of an extensive text thought to be writing is by the Cascajal Block. TheOlmec hieroglyphs tablet has been indirectly dated from ceramic shards found in the same context to approximately 900 BCE, around the time that Olmec occupation of San Lorenzo Tenochtitlán began to wane.[105]

The Maya writing system (often called hieroglyphs from a superficial resemblance to the Ancient Egyptian writing) was a combination of phoneticsymbols and logograms. It is most often classified as a logographic or (more properly) a logosyllabic writing system, in which syllabic signs play a significant role. It is the only pre-Columbian writing system known to represent completely the spoken language of its community. In total, the script has more than one thousand different glyphs although a few are variations of the same sign or meaning and many appear only rarely or are confined to particular localities. At any one time, no more than about five hundred glyphs were in use, some two hundred of which (including variations) had a phonetic or syllabic interpretation.

Aztec codices (singular codex) are books written by pre-Columbian and colonial-era Aztecs. These codices provide some of the best primary sourcesfor Aztec culture. The pre-Columbian codices differ from European codices in that they are largely pictorial; they were not meant to symbolize spoken or written narratives.[106] The colonial era codices not only contain Aztec pictograms, but also Classical Nahuatl (in the Latin alphabet), Spanish, and occasionally Latin.

Spanish mendicants in the sixteenth century taught indigenous scribes in their communities to write their languages in Latin letters and there is a large number of local-level documents inNahuatl, Zapotec, Mixtec, and Yucatec Maya from the colonial era, many of which were part of lawsuits and other legal matters. Although Spaniards initially taught indigenous scribes alphabetic writing, the tradition became self-perpetuating at the local level.[107] The Spanish crown gathered such documentation and contemporary Spanish translations were made for legal cases. Scholars have translated and analyzed these documents in what is called the New Philology to write histories of indigenous peoples from indigenous viewpoints.[108]

The Wiigwaasabak, birch bark scrolls on which the Ojibwa (Anishinaabe) people wrote complex geometrical patterns and shapes, can also be considered a form of writing, as can Mi'kmaq hieroglyphics.
Indigenous peoples of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For many Native Americans - the white Thanksgiving is not a happy day.

A Reminder That Thanksgiving Is A 'National Day Of Mourning' For Some Americans

As someone much wiser than me once wrote, "then they should have fought harder and invested in some post-Neolithic R&D."

Considering the historical record of what happens to conquered peoples, Indians should be grateful that they ended up with treaties and on reservations. Most times the losers ended up with nothing, were forcibly assimilated, ended up in slavery, or were just got genocided out of existance.

drink firewater and shoot flaming arrows at wagon trains... or is that New Years eve ?

Just seeing if any Native Americans on USMB can shed some light on it. I'm interested in hearing their perspective.
Let's see here, yesterday I had turkey with sausage stuffing, rice, green beans, rolls and pumpkin pie with whipped cream......... But then again I'm only about 1/3rd Injun........ :eusa_whistle:
:D

drink firewater and shoot flaming arrows at wagon trains... or is that New Years eve ?

Just seeing if any Native Americans on USMB can shed some light on it. I'm interested in hearing their perspective.

I don't know that you're going to find many Native Americans on the internet yet alone this blog. I would assume they celebrate Thanksgiving without thinking much about what it means.

Christmas time is coming up, and how many consider Jesus as the reason for the season? We just hang decorations, buy gifts, bitch like all hell about the crowds, and look forward for some time off of work.

Forum List

Back