How can California have both a labor problem and a homeless problem at the same time?

"According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 20 to 25% of the homeless population in the United States suffers from some form of severe mental illness. In comparison, only 6% of Americans are severely mentally ill (National Institute of Mental Health, 2009). In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults (mentioned by 48% of cities). For homeless families, mental illness was mentioned by 12% of cities as one of the top 3 causes of homelessness."

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/Mental_Illness.pdf

What??? What your article says is they are allowing Mayors to determine mental illness. Are Mayors trained to do that?

That's not at all what that article says. :rolleyes:

Well here, I'll point it out to you:

In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults

Bro... you can't be that dumb. You can't possibly be that dumb. This is a time when I want you to admit you are trolling for your own good.

Would you like me to go through it sentence by sentence? Do you know what the word "survey" means? Do you know the difference between "cities" and "mental health professionals?"

"According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 20 to 25% of the homeless population in the United States suffers from some form of severe mental illness. In comparison, only 6% of Americans are severely mentally ill (National Institute of Mental Health, 2009). In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults (mentioned by 48% of cities). For homeless families, mental illness was mentioned by 12% of cities as one of the top 3 causes of homelessness."

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/Mental_Illness.pdf

What??? What your article says is they are allowing Mayors to determine mental illness. Are Mayors trained to do that?

In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults

Bro... you can't be that dumb. You can't possibly be that dumb. This is a time when I want you to admit you are trolling for your own good.

Would you like me to go through it sentence by sentence? Do you know what the word "survey" means? Do you know the difference between "cities" and "mental health professionals?"

Let's use some common sense. Do you think the mayors go out on the streets and talk to each homeless person to do a mental health assessment? Or do you think they look at a sheet of statistics provided for them by mental health and criminal justice professionals?

Let's use some common sense. Do you think the mayors go out on the streets and talk to each homeless person to do a mental health assessment? Or do you think they look at a sheet of statistics provided for them by mental health and criminal justice professionals?

It doesn't say, it only says it surveyed cities. In other words, it's irrelevant. So it seems, just opinions.

But back to the question, what are we supposed to do about these people? Do we as a society have the constitutional authority to lock these people up in an institution simply because they have no home and/or want to live out in the streets?

It doesn't say, it only says it surveyed cities. In other words, it's irrelevant. So it seems, just opinions.

But back to the question, what are we supposed to do about these people? Do we as a society have the constitutional authority to lock these people up in an institution simply because they have no home and/or want to live out in the streets?

It shouldn't have to say it...

Who in their right mind thinks a mayor would go out and do an assessment of the homeless of the community first hand?

Do you know the process that communities do when they have an issue like wide spread homeless people?

Watching Fox and some Liberal Democrat prattles on how California has a employment shortage in agriculture.

I thought they had a Homeless problem.

Solution; set up tents with food on the farm and move the damn homeless there. Problem solved.
Most of them are drug junky whites. We need to import more hardworking Latinos, Asians and africans.

Who in their right mind thinks a mayor would go out and do an assessment of the homeless of the community first hand?

Do you know the process that communities do when they have an issue like wide spread homeless people?

Like I said, it's an opinion of Mayors and other city officials, not a professional evaluation according to your link. It doesn't say how those cities came up with their conclusion.

Like I said, it's an opinion of Mayors and other city officials, not a professional evaluation according to your link. It doesn't say how those cities came up with their conclusion.

Jesus man... they are making their opinions based on stats collected through professionals. Quit fucking trolling.

Let me add another hurdle to overcome. Many of the homeless that have mental illnesses also have a criminal record due to the condition they suffer from... making it even harder to get a job.

The only crimes that make it harder to get a job are felonies, and you have to be convicted of them first.

The crime problems with most homeless are shoplifting, begging for money, or perhaps threatening pedestrians.

Years ago we used to institutionalize such people. But at the time, Geraldo had his own television show. He started a campaign he called crime less institutions. He focused on the constitutionality of locking up people simply because they couldn't take care of themselves. Not long afterwards, institutions opened their doors and allowed these people to roam free which they did. They've been out there ever since.

So the question is what to do with these people?

Wrong again. Since the U.S. started to get rid of psychiatric facilities, U.S. jails and prisons have been the new destination for those with mental illness, and not it isn't just for petty crimes like shoplifting.

U.S.: Number of Mentally Ill in Prisons Quadrupled

"In 2005, more than half of all people incarcerated in prisons and jails had a mental illness: 56 percent of state prisoners, 45 percent of federal prisoners, and 64 percent of jail inmates. Of those who had a mental illness, about three-quarters also had a co-occurring substance use disorder.19"

NRRC Facts & Trends | CSG Justice Center

We were talking about the homeless here. Violent mentally unstable people are locked up in prison.

Many "violent" people with mental illness are only violent because they aren't able to get the treatment they need.

How many homeless people do you know?
I'm one of them. I was going off the deep end when I hooked up with the VA and got medicated. Medicine helped me calm down and get a good job till I got fired for making a political statement on Facebook.

Let me add another hurdle to overcome. Many of the homeless that have mental illnesses also have a criminal record due to the condition they suffer from... making it even harder to get a job.

The only crimes that make it harder to get a job are felonies, and you have to be convicted of them first.

The crime problems with most homeless are shoplifting, begging for money, or perhaps threatening pedestrians.

Years ago we used to institutionalize such people. But at the time, Geraldo had his own television show. He started a campaign he called crime less institutions. He focused on the constitutionality of locking up people simply because they couldn't take care of themselves. Not long afterwards, institutions opened their doors and allowed these people to roam free which they did. They've been out there ever since.

So the question is what to do with these people?

Wrong again. Since the U.S. started to get rid of psychiatric facilities, U.S. jails and prisons have been the new destination for those with mental illness, and not it isn't just for petty crimes like shoplifting.

U.S.: Number of Mentally Ill in Prisons Quadrupled

"In 2005, more than half of all people incarcerated in prisons and jails had a mental illness: 56 percent of state prisoners, 45 percent of federal prisoners, and 64 percent of jail inmates. Of those who had a mental illness, about three-quarters also had a co-occurring substance use disorder.19"

NRRC Facts & Trends | CSG Justice Center

I call bullshit.
Dr’s are way too quick to diagnose and label “mental illness” these days. They can’t wait to prescribe Prozac to anyone who asks for it.
Prozac doesn't work for me, though I take it. I take Risperidone, which does work for me. I used to be fast at everything; talking, typing, reading, getting the job done, having an anxiety episode, or a manic temper tantrum, etc. Now I do everything in slow motion. I can even stare at a wall without going nuts. The right drugs do work. Used to be getting bored would be the switch that set me off.

Well see... you are skimming over several issues here. A lot of places won't hire someone that smells like they haven't bathed in a month, doesn't have an address, no transportation, no phone, has clothes full of holes, can't pass a urine test, and suffers from some disabling form of mental illness.

;)

They can find money for drugs and alcohol but not a shower or decent 2nd hand clothes from Goodwill :eusa_think:

Jesus man... they are making their opinions based on stats collected through professionals. Quit fucking trolling.

And you know this how Troll?

the thing is we are in the twenty first Century and not back in jesus time when street people were plentiful. We have ordinances that are in place to align our society. These people choose to exist outside normalcy. I find what they do a slap at normal folks. we care about disease and plagues. I mean haven't we moved to a healthier society?

the thing is we are in the twenty first Century and not back in jesus time when street people were plentiful. We have ordinances that are in place to align our society. These people choose to exist outside normalcy. I find what they do a slap at normal folks. we care about disease and plagues. I mean haven't we moved to a healthier society?

As Jesus once said, there will always be the poor.

The question is what to do with those people? In a free society, we can't lock them up. We can't help people who don't want to be helped. And your point about hygiene is well taken.

It's kind of a conundrum. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Watching Fox and some Liberal Democrat prattles on how California has a employment shortage in agriculture.

Solution; set up tents with food on the farm and move the damn homeless there. Problem solved.
Because illegal immigrants do not come here to work, they just come for the free stuff that idiots like Obooba gave them

The question is what to do with those people? In a free society, we can't lock them up. We can't help people who don't want to be helped. And your point about hygiene is well taken.

pathetically struggling.

pathetically struggling.

People with mental illness don't "choose" to live outside the "normalcy" of society. Also, God forbid you ever have a situation where your life falls apart and you don't have the safety net of a family to help you.

Because illegal immigrants do not come here to work, they just come for the free stuff that idiots like Obooba gave them
really the thing I don't get is these people left their country due to poverty and terrorism. They come here and it follows them. Now they've infected us with their bad luck.

pathetically struggling.

People with mental illness don't "choose" to live outside the "normalcy" of society. Also, God forbid you ever have a situation where your life falls apart and you don't have the safety net of a family to help you.
or in my case, you are the safety net that supports your family and it's your time to time out. I'm tired, I want to sleep for the rest of my life.

pathetically struggling.

or in my case, you are the safety net that supports your family and it's your time to time out. I'm tired, I want to sleep for the rest of my life.

It is very tiring when people who are ignorant on the issues make comments when they honestly have no clue what they are talking about. As I always say, it is easy for some people to pick on the people less fortunate than themselves... whether it be the poor, the ill, or some other group.

And you know this how Troll?

How do I know? I know because it is a profession I have looked into for when I finish my degrees.

Here is an example from Columbus, Ohio... where they hired a firm to help solve the cities parking issues. The same type of thing would be done by cities to deal with the problem of homeless people.

City hires firm to help with Short North parking issues

I still can't believe you thought mayors were trying to diagnosis people with mental illness... :lmao:

Forum List

Back