How can California have both a labor problem and a homeless problem at the same time?

Well see... you are skimming over several issues here. A lot of places won't hire someone that smells like they haven't bathed in a month, doesn't have an address, no transportation, no phone, has clothes full of holes, can't pass a urine test, and suffers from some disabling form of mental illness.

;)

To my knowledge, if you suffer from mental or physical aliments that prohibit you to work, you can apply and go on disability.

Of course alcoholism or drugs is not an impairment that you can claim, but if the only reason these people can't work is because of how they smell or where they live, I'm sure government could take care of that. The problem is those are not the reasons they can't work.

We've had this discussion several times before. You think because you know someone that got disability it is easy to get for everyone... Not only is that wrong, but it is even more so wrong for people with mental illness because it isn't something that can be visually identified.

Who said it was easy? Not me. I do know people on it and they had to make several attempts before successful.

Many homeless people do have mental problems, but there are organizations and religious entities that help those people out. In the heart of winter, we have homeless people walking the streets here too. They have the ability to go to shelters, but they want to live in the street. They don't want to go to those shelters because shelters have rules such as not bringing in drugs or alcohol. Religious organizations usually have sobriety and tobacco restrictions, so homeless people don't want to go there either.

You said you knew someone that got it within weeks on their very first try. You argued over and over with me about it.

No, what I said is she got it within weeks. It was her second attempt. Her first attempt was several years earlier, so on her second application, they took her right away.

Let me add another hurdle to overcome. Many of the homeless that have mental illnesses also have a criminal record due to the condition they suffer from... making it even harder to get a job.

They have a huge "homeless" problem. The thing is, these people are all either mentally ill, alcoholics, and or drug addicts. They are people no one wants to employ since nearly all of them are incapable of showing up more than a day or two.
many of them are Veterans too....

Veterans can't work???
many of those vets are fucked up or addicted to something ray....the main thing is a hell of a lot of them are not getting the help they need because our govt,no matter what party is in charge,does a lot of talking but doesnt do much for discharged vets who need some kind of help....

Kinda fucked up...our piece of shits in government can’t figure out how to take care of our homeless Vets but they sure have it all figured out for filthy fucking illegals don’t they?

They have a huge "homeless" problem. The thing is, these people are all either mentally ill, alcoholics, and or drug addicts. They are people no one wants to employ since nearly all of them are incapable of showing up more than a day or two.
many of them are Veterans too....

Veterans can't work???
many of those vets are fucked up or addicted to something ray....the main thing is a hell of a lot of them are not getting the help they need because our govt,no matter what party is in charge,does a lot of talking but doesnt do much for discharged vets who need some kind of help....

Kinda fucked up...our piece of shits in government can’t figure out how to take care of our homeless Vets but they sure have it all figured out for filthy fucking illegals don’t they?
Democrats Against Children of Americans

Let me add another hurdle to overcome. Many of the homeless that have mental illnesses also have a criminal record due to the condition they suffer from... making it even harder to get a job.

The only crimes that make it harder to get a job are felonies, and you have to be convicted of them first.

The crime problems with most homeless are shoplifting, begging for money, or perhaps threatening pedestrians.

Years ago we used to institutionalize such people. But at the time, Geraldo had his own television show. He started a campaign he called crime less institutions. He focused on the constitutionality of locking up people simply because they couldn't take care of themselves. Not long afterwards, institutions opened their doors and allowed these people to roam free which they did. They've been out there ever since.

So the question is what to do with these people?

The only crimes that make it harder to get a job are felonies, and you have to be convicted of them first.

The crime problems with most homeless are shoplifting, begging for money, or perhaps threatening pedestrians.

Years ago we used to institutionalize such people. But at the time, Geraldo had his own television show. He started a campaign he called crime less institutions. He focused on the constitutionality of locking up people simply because they couldn't take care of themselves. Not long afterwards, institutions opened their doors and allowed these people to roam free which they did. They've been out there ever since.

Wrong again. Since the U.S. started to get rid of psychiatric facilities, U.S. jails and prisons have been the new destination for those with mental illness, and not it isn't just for petty crimes like shoplifting.

U.S.: Number of Mentally Ill in Prisons Quadrupled

"In 2005, more than half of all people incarcerated in prisons and jails had a mental illness: 56 percent of state prisoners, 45 percent of federal prisoners, and 64 percent of jail inmates. Of those who had a mental illness, about three-quarters also had a co-occurring substance use disorder.19"

NRRC Facts & Trends | CSG Justice Center

Wrong again. Since the U.S. started to get rid of psychiatric facilities, U.S. jails and prisons have been the new destination for those with mental illness, and not it isn't just for petty crimes like shoplifting.

"In 2005, more than half of all people incarcerated in prisons and jails had a mental illness: 56 percent of state prisoners, 45 percent of federal prisoners, and 64 percent of jail inmates. Of those who had a mental illness, about three-quarters also had a co-occurring substance use disorder.19"

We were talking about the homeless here. Violent mentally unstable people are locked up in prison.

Yeah, not too sure if the majority fall into those categories, although which would you rather have, these people peeing in the streets or peeing on your veggies?

I heard last week that California actually has a budget surplus this year. But the homeless rate is rising dramatically.

We should all chip in and help California solve their problem..

Build huge Japanese style living quarters for homeless people..

Capsule-Hotel-3-1200x675.jpg

We were talking about the homeless here. Violent mentally unstable people are locked up in prison.

Many "violent" people with mental illness are only violent because they aren't able to get the treatment they need.

How many homeless people do you know?

I call bullshit.
Dr’s are way too quick to diagnose and label “mental illness” these days. They can’t wait to prescribe Prozac to anyone who asks for it.

Many "violent" people with mental illness are only violent because they aren't able to get the treatment they need.

About as many as you do personally. But when I'm on dead time, I hang around downtown where there are plenty of homeless people. They collect pop cans and any other kind of metal to recycle for cash. We have bolt companies that I deliver for, and they overfill the bins all the time. So when the bolts spill out on the floor, they just leave them in the trailer and I pick them up when I have time and give them to the homeless people. They are in their glory because these are large bolts and pretty heavy. I give them a couple of bags that weigh 20 or 30 pounds or so.

However I did have a late Uncle who worked downtown at a hotel. He worked with a few homeless guys. They made enough money for an apartment or even to buy a house, but they chose to live on the streets. He told me on payday when they got their checks, they ran down to the train tracks during lunch and disappeared. He had no idea what they did with those paychecks. But for them, being homeless was a choice.

I call bullshit.
Dr’s are way too quick to diagnose and label “mental illness” these days. They can’t wait to prescribe Prozac to anyone who asks for it.

Of course you are.

These aren't people that are getting medication, so that pretty much throws that defense out the window huh?

About as many as you do personally. But when I'm on dead time, I hang around downtown where there are plenty of homeless people. They collect pop cans and any other kind of metal to recycle for cash. We have bolt companies that I deliver for, and they overfill the bins all the time. So when the bolts spill out on the floor, they just leave them in the trailer and I pick them up when I have time and give them to the homeless people. They are in their glory because these are large bolts and pretty heavy. I give them a couple of bags that weigh 20 or 30 pounds or so.

However I did have a late Uncle who worked downtown at a hotel. He worked with a few homeless guys. They made enough money for an apartment or even to buy a house, but they chose to live on the streets. He told me on payday when they got their checks, they ran down to the train tracks during lunch and disappeared. He had no idea what they did with those paychecks. But for them, being homeless was a choice.

You have no idea how many homeless people I've met. :)

Not to mention I'm posting facts... how much have you actually studied and read up on this? In this thread I've yet to see you post a single link.

"According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 20 to 25% of the homeless population in the United States suffers from some form of severe mental illness. In comparison, only 6% of Americans are severely mentally ill (National Institute of Mental Health, 2009). In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults (mentioned by 48% of cities). For homeless families, mental illness was mentioned by 12% of cities as one of the top 3 causes of homelessness."

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/Mental_Illness.pdf

"According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 20 to 25% of the homeless population in the United States suffers from some form of severe mental illness. In comparison, only 6% of Americans are severely mentally ill (National Institute of Mental Health, 2009). In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults (mentioned by 48% of cities). For homeless families, mental illness was mentioned by 12% of cities as one of the top 3 causes of homelessness."

What??? What your article says is they are allowing Mayors to determine mental illness. Are Mayors trained to do that?

What??? What your article says is they are allowing Mayors to determine mental illness. Are Mayors trained to do that?

That's not at all what that article says. :rolleyes:

Well here, I'll point it out to you:

In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults

Well here, I'll point it out to you:

In a 2008 survey performed by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, 25 cities were asked for the three largest causes of homelessness in their communities. Mental illness was the third largest cause of homelessness for single adults

Bro... you can't be that dumb. You can't possibly be that dumb. This is a time when I want you to admit you are trolling for your own good.

Forum List

Back