How 200 Delegates Have the GOP by the Short Hairs

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This is very interesting, as I was aware of PEnnsylvanias nonsense, but I had no idea that W Virginia was this way as well and others.

These 200 people could decide whether Donald Trump gets the GOP nomination

If Trump arrives at the July convention in Cleveland just shy of the 1,237 delegates required to secure the nomination outright, these unbound delegates could decide to push him over the top - or force a contested convention with successive rounds of balloting.

"It's the wildcatter of delegate selection," said Ed Brookover, a senior adviser to Trump, who drew an analogy to risk-taking oilmen who drill in unexplored land.

The three remaining candidates are identifying these delegates, researching their proclivities and beginning to cajole them. The law surrounding them is so unclear that Trump could conceivably fly them to Florida for a weekend of luxuriating at Mar-a-Lago, his gold-adorned and palm-lined private club - where, naturally, they could be subjected to personal lobbying to support Trump....

In Colorado, Cruz has picked up at least 18 delegates this week and could sweep the state's total slate of 37 at its state convention on Saturday. Volunteers in Colorado have been organizing for Cruz since last summer.

"We're understanding every delegate in the country, tracking them, understanding where they came from, what their interests are," said Saul Anuzis, a former Republican National Committee member who is helping the Cruz campaign on delegate outreach.

The arcane rules governing the nominating process mean that in Pennsylvania, a populous state that all three remaining candidates are targeting, the winner will automatically receive only 17 of the state's 71 total delegates. The other 54 delegates, who are elected on the primary ballot in congressional districts, will be unbound....

In West Virginia, that means winnowing a field of more than 300 to 31 open slots, which will happen during the May 10 primary. Some delegate hopefuls run aligned with a presidential candidate, meaning they must vote for that candidate in the first ballot at the convention, while others run as uncommitted.

The Trump campaign recently opened an office in Charleston and is trying to persuade more delegate candidates to commit to Trump. Allies are arguing that Trump would be best to guide coal country out of its chronic economic despair.

This is very interesting, as I was aware of PEnnsylvanias nonsense, but I had no idea that W Virginia was this way as well and others.

If Trump arrives at the July convention in Cleveland just shy of the 1,237 delegates required to secure the nomination outright, these unbound delegates could decide to push him over the top - or force a contested convention with successive rounds of balloting.

"It's the wildcatter of delegate selection," said Ed Brookover, a senior adviser to Trump, who drew an analogy to risk-taking oilmen who drill in unexplored land.

The three remaining candidates are identifying these delegates, researching their proclivities and beginning to cajole them. The law surrounding them is so unclear that Trump could conceivably fly them to Florida for a weekend of luxuriating at Mar-a-Lago, his gold-adorned and palm-lined private club - where, naturally, they could be subjected to personal lobbying to support Trump....

In Colorado, Cruz has picked up at least 18 delegates this week and could sweep the state's total slate of 37 at its state convention on Saturday. Volunteers in Colorado have been organizing for Cruz since last summer.

"We're understanding every delegate in the country, tracking them, understanding where they came from, what their interests are," said Saul Anuzis, a former Republican National Committee member who is helping the Cruz campaign on delegate outreach.

The arcane rules governing the nominating process mean that in Pennsylvania, a populous state that all three remaining candidates are targeting, the winner will automatically receive only 17 of the state's 71 total delegates. The other 54 delegates, who are elected on the primary ballot in congressional districts, will be unbound....

In West Virginia, that means winnowing a field of more than 300 to 31 open slots, which will happen during the May 10 primary. Some delegate hopefuls run aligned with a presidential candidate, meaning they must vote for that candidate in the first ballot at the convention, while others run as uncommitted.

The Trump campaign recently opened an office in Charleston and is trying to persuade more delegate candidates to commit to Trump. Allies are arguing that Trump would be best to guide coal country out of its chronic economic despair.
Yeah, supposedly there is INTENSE behind-the-scenes campaigning being done, stuff the public never sees.

The convention could be freakin' wild. This is the first political event I've looked forward to, pretty much ever.

:popcorn:

Cruz has been on the ground for months getting his people into many of these slots.

Until recently, Trump didn't even know the process worked. He thought he picked the delegates himself.

That's why Trump's highest vote total will be on the first vote. If he doesn't win on the first ballot, he's going to see much of his delegate vote melt away.

Then his supporters will claim corruption, the establishment working against him, etc., etc., etc., when instead, Trump will have lost because he didn't know the rules and the process.

Yeah, supposedly there is INTENSE behind-the-scenes campaigning being done, stuff the public never sees.

The convention could be freakin' wild. This is the first political event I've looked forward to, pretty much ever.

:popcorn:

Another huge complication to all this is the simple fact that there is no one alive today that has managed a brokered convention. The Reagan Ford convention is the closest we have seen to a brokered convention and not many are left from that, though Trump did hire one of the few survivors.

But that was NOT a brokered convention, and how the rules would work for that and how to soothe feelings and bark people in line is a lost art, like how to lay a steel hull for a battleship; knowledge that no one thought would ever be needed again lost to all posterity.

Things like this so often depend on experienced hands to guide them to avert a complete melt down.

Cruz has been on the ground for months getting his people into many of these slots.

Until recently, Trump didn't even know the process worked. He thought he picked the delegates himself.

That's why Trump's highest vote total will be on the first vote. If he doesn't win on the first ballot, he's going to see much of his delegate vote melt away.

Then his supporters will claim corruption, the establishment working against him, etc., etc., etc., when instead, Trump will have lost because he didn't know the rules and the process.
The media can pay for Trump's advertising costs with publicity, but they can't run his campaign for him....

:laugh:

I think you are probably right, but Trump is not to be underestimated, though nitwits like you love to do that, roflmao.

The media can pay for Trump's advertising costs with publicity, but they can't run his campaign for him....

I think Trump is really bulking up with top people to handle things from the national level, but I have seen no evidence that he has created any permanent structure at the state level of supporters and activists. I have read that once a primary is over in a state, he pulls out all of his people and leaves his supporters to the state party establishments tender kindness, lol.

I think Trump is really bulking up with top people to handle things from the national level, but I have seen no evidence that he has created any permanent structure at the state level of supporters and activists. I have read that once a primary is over in a state, he pulls out all of his people and leaves his supporters to the state party establishments tender kindness, lol.
Yikes. I'd believe that. From what I'm hearing Cruz has a freakin' machine in place.

All that ultimately does is make a contested convention more likely.

Yikes. I'd believe that. From what I'm hearing Cruz has a freakin' machine in place.

All that ultimately does is make a contested convention more likely.

Like the guy who walked into Bears and Sterns after it went belly up said, 'I'm just waiting for the adults to show up.'

I plan not to vote if Trump doesn't win.

I plan not to vote if Trump doesn't win.
I am looking to vote for Sanders, failing that Trump, and my distant third choice is Cruz.

Everything else is either a sell out to the corporate crony network that is destroying this country or a vote for a stool pigeon that works for them.

Not so fast....

In the hopes of staving off the GOP establishment’s efforts to block his nomination at a contested convention, GOP frontrunner Donald Trump hired a new delegate manager who has successfully led similar convention battles over the past several decades.
Trump has hired delegate manager Paul Manafort to lead his GOP convention efforts and shore up enough delegates to ensure he wins the nomination on the first ballot at the GOP presidential convention in Cleveland in July. Manafort is well known in GOP circles because in 1976, on behalf of then President Gerald Ford—who ascended to the presidency without being elected because of Richard Nixon’s Watergate-driven resignation—Manafort successfully fended off future president Ronald Reagan in a delegate battle that may end up looking a lot like 2016. Thanks to Manafort’s work for Ford that year, the incumbent president barely held on to the party’s nomination, beating back Reagan’s challenge.

Trump Hires Reagan, Ford Delegate Manager to Stave Off Establishment Convention Hopes - Breitbart

Forum List

Back