Housing bubble 2008

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Euro, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Euro

Euro Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    How was the mood before the housing bubble in 2008? Did Bush see it coming?

Did people complain about high housing prices?
    Did people complain about high building costs?
    Did you see the bubble coming?

Did you see it coming and did you get affected.? Did people have to much debt?

2. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    The Bush administration tried to warn them back in 2004/2005 (in that area)...Congress at the time (mostly democrats and Barny Frank) refused to listen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW5qKYfqALE]Barney Frank in 2005: What Housing Bubble? - YouTube[/ame]

I have no idea about your other questions and what other's thought...but i know it affected me, our house appraisals fell almost by half! So you can thank the democrats in Congress at the time, they were warned and said "everything is just fine".

3. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194

I saw it coming, it should've been obvious that the home prices were all out of whack. No one knew for sure when it would pop, but there as no question that the bubble would burst.

I seem to recall Bush and the repubs tried to legislate more oversight over the mortgage industry, but it got shot down. That bubble was a long time in the making and both sides of the aisle were complicit.

4. expat_panama

expat_panama Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    --especially considering the fact that prices had stopped growing two years earlier and were falling since the beginning of '07. By mid '08 real estate values had already lost $5T --20%!
    [​IMG]

5. onecut39

onecut39 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Economists were writing about the housing bubble and its inevitable bust as far back as 2004.

Where there is money to be made everyone thinks they will get out before the bust. Politicians hope it lasts beyond the next election. Most don't make it.

"Only a fool waits for top dollar"
    ............................................Joseph P Kennedy.............................

6. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Wasn't a surprise to me. I saw it coming in 2001.

7. Rshermr

Rshermr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +855
    Any data to support your claims??
    Honestly, all I can remember is Bush and the repubs bragging about home ownership numbers increasing and Greenspan telling anyone who would listen that the housing market was bomb proof.

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I saw it coming, made nearly a million off of it from speculators and got out and bought Gold Eagles for about $550.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I do recall the right bragging about rising home ownership numbers and the economy was doing so great.
    IN July 2008 didn't McCain say the economy was fundamentally sound?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkAtUq0OJ68"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkAtUq0OJ68[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  10. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342

A September 11, 2003 New York Times article shows that President Bush proposed “the most significant regulatory overhaul in the housing finance industry since the savings and loan crisis a decade ago.” His proposal: An agency within the Treasury Department to supervise mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Fearing that mortgages would no longer be available to people who were unable to pay them back, Democrats eventually killed the proposal. The current meltdown in the mortgage industry is a direct result of giving mortgages to people who could not pay them back, a practice protected by Congressional Democrats.

Both entities were recently taken over by the government, a move that puts trillions of taxpayer dollars at risk.

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/11/business/new-agency-proposed-to-oversee-freddie-mac-and-fannie-mae.html

I believe there has been more alarm raised about potential unsafty and unsoundness [of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac] than, in fact, exists."- Barney Frank... 9/25/2003

The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do NOT see. Barney Frank---9/11/ 2003

I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing."--Barney Frank---9/25/2005

"These two entities--Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac---are not facing any kind of financial crisis." Barney Frank -- 9/11/2003

"Fannie and Freddie are fundamentally sound, they are not in danger of going under----I do think their prospects of going forward are very solid." -- Barney Frank-- 7/14/2008

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012