House Republicans' Spending Bill for Remainder of 2011 Would Cut Pell Grant by 15%

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Modbert, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    House Republicans' Spending Bill Would Cut Pell Grant by 15 Percent - Government - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Meanwhile:

GOP Won't Cut Defense Without Deal | The National Interest Blog

2. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,636
    You have to realize that there are hundreds of government employed lawyers going through every budget proposal for victims of the dreaded GOP budget cuts. Even though the president still has to sign the checks the Soros blogs will be busy parading victims for the next two years.

3. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Well, if you cut the Pell Grant, then you HAVE to maintain defense spending. More people will be forced toward the military in order to get work.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    If there are no new jobs and will be no new jobs why spend money educating people?

5. gekaap

gekaap BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    No increase in jobs does not mean that positions will not be vacated and need filling. As people retire, new people must enter the workforce to take their place. New jobs might not be being created, but jobs will continue to be recycled at the very least.

Also, despite the lack of jobs in most areas, there are also some areas that remain under staffed, like health care, for example. Making education easily available for longer term education needs (like RNs) and training initiatives for jobs that require shorter training periods, like CNAs and various techs, will help put people to work, reduce health care costs, and overall do a great deal of good for our economy. (Just using health care as an example.)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Yes there will be a few new jobs and some old jobs with openings as you say. However these will not keep up with the current demand to get back to "full employment" or the increased demand of those entering the workforce.

And due to the oversupply of available workers the wages for many jobs will be stagnant at best and quite possibly lower in pay.
    And prices on food and energy are rising.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  7. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,696
    Sounds like a great idea to me. All government subsidies have done is increase the cost of higher education at more than 4X the rate of inflation.

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Govt subsidies increase the cost of a college education? Please explain how that works.

9. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Your partisanship is showing again. Obama's budget is cutting Pell Grants pretty significantly.

10. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,424
    Absolutely. When you subsidize something you get more of it. Do you realize how much money you can get in student loans? I just finished my Master's Degree back in December and I owe $70k in student loans and I didn't even take near the maximum that I could.

Nothing is bringing down the cost of education because the government will lend you just about what ever you need to go. Hence, universities can and do continue to raise their tuition every year. Watch. College education will be the next housing bubble. I've already read more than a few articles over the past couple of years that the cost of a college education is nearing the point where the benefits are no longer worth it.

If the government would cut back on the amount of loans it will give, less people will be able to afford to go. That will cause the universities to start losing money so they will have to bring down the cost of tuition in order to increase their student body numbers again. Universities are no different than a business.